Apple orders 10-inch touchscreens for mystery product

Comments

• Reply 21 of 243
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I thought Apple said a netbook was not an option?

Funny how now its important to them

Maybe they will get Blu Ray when PCs move to something better!

Apple is always behind in getting on the bandwagon for technology. Maybe this is why they sit under the 10% threshold marketshare.

Apple always does this, you saw it with the delay of Leopard, the iPhone, the Macbook Air etc. They say "Oh, thats not going to happen" then it happens. Saying that, I would need a bit more evidence to know this is true. I remember all the people going retard strong last year because of the "arrival of netbooks" at customs for Apple, which turned out to be just a new iphone.

Apple's smart, they aren't huge, so they wait till somethings been proven on the market (look at anything they've done, they are not a hardware innovator,) change it a little bit so it seems like they started it, and then everyone thinks of them as a huge inventer of new technology.
  • Reply 22 of 243
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ireland is going to walking to clouds all day after he reads this.

through clouds, perhaps?
  • Reply 23 of 243
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I can already smell the disappointment from people when Apple finally releases whatever this thing is. What? It's not $200?

Stop thinking that Apple can produce a product with features no other product has for the same price. They can't. If this thing has a touch screen, it will not be sold at a netbook price. End of story.

I'm still trying to figure out what problem the netbook solves, anyway. I have a laptop. I have an iPhone. What good is an underpowered laptop that is smaller than my current MacBook Pro, but can't run Photoshop or Final Cut effectively? Meanwhile, it can surf the web and send emails a bit better than my iPhone, but it is too large to carry in my pocket. What does this give me that I don't already have?

Like many products, the netbook sounds a lot better on paper than it performs in real life use.

It has a real keyboard. I know that the netbook isn't for everyone, but I love mine. It can run everything (have Linux, OS X, and Windows on it) reasonably well, gets 7 hours of battery life and I can put it in my bag and forget I have it. Plug my iphone into it and I have internet everywhere too.

A netbook is in the same market as a Macbook Air, but priced 5 times less. Its meant as a second computer so when you want to travel you can bring it along without having to think about the weight or not having enough space to use it.
  • Reply 24 of 243
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

What good is an underpowered laptop that is smaller than my current MacBook Pro, but can't run Photoshop or Final Cut effectively?

Your use (and even mention) of those products makes you a non-standard user. This product will be for the 99% who never use FCP and PS.
  • Reply 25 of 243
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Apple's smart, they aren't huge, so they wait till somethings been proven on the market (look at anything they've done, they are not a hardware innovator,) change it a little bit so it seems like they started it, and then everyone thinks of them as a huge inventer of new technology.

utter garbage sorry!
  • Reply 26 of 243
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Maybe this is why they sit under the 10% threshold marketshare.

Where do they sit with respect to innovation, customer satisfaction, and intuitiveness?

• Reply 27 of 243
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miniMoe View Post

Aspect ratio? 4:3, 16:9, 16:10?

Resolution? 100ppi?

Fluorescent, LED, OLED backlight?

Touch screen?

If it's OLED the product will be > $1000 Tablet with far greater than 100ppi. It'll be at least that of the iPhone's 166ppi.
  • Reply 28 of 243
    Are we talking about a Macbook Nano, basically a smaller Macbook Air, or is it a big iPod Touch?
  • Reply 29 of 243
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

(look at anything they've done, they are not a hardware innovator,) change it a little bit so it seems like they started it, and then everyone thinks of them as a huge inventer of new technology.

Right. Apple didn't invent the cell phone, they just perfected it. RIM, Motorola, and Palm are scrambling to catch up.
  • Reply 30 of 243
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

I guess, they'll be like 699 or 799

Can't go too high, or it'll kill MacBook White. I'm sure Apple won't phase out MacBook White, after all, there are some people who wants FireWire, right? And don't want to go all the way to MacBook Pros. Besides, Apple need something under 1,000.

I think keeping the MacBook White was a stop-gap... it SO doesn't fit in with the design of the rest of the product line. I think it will be gone by end of year.
  • Reply 31 of 243
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Psst, it's a rumor. In addition, a 10" tablet would not = a netbook.

I'm having a very hard time believing this news though. I figured Apple would replace their glass, MultiTouch trackpads with glass, MultiTouch displays, but 10"!? What the BLEEP are they working on!?

If they make a 10" keyboardless tablet, I will eat my proverbial hat! Such a thing would not be practical (and one with a physical keyboard wouldn't be either).

I completely agree with the exception that this rumour seems to have some solid legs.

I sure hope this isn't true though. A 5" to 7" touch-screen mini-tablet would be an excellent product. A 10" screen is not pocketable, not easy to hold or work on and would look silly unless it's running full OS-X and not the iPhone version.

Possibly it's one of those occasions where the leak is true, but it's for a different product and the mini-netbook-tablet thing is still in the works but not yet leaked.
  • Reply 32 of 243
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member
    Wasn't there an Apple patent of a dual screen hinged device ala Nintendo DS floating around some months ago? Seems to me that a 10 inch diagonal would make a very nice standard notebook secondary screen replacing the touchpad, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 243
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I think keeping the MacBook White was a stop-gap... it SO doesn't fit in with the design of the rest of the product line. I think it will be gone by end of year.

I doubt it. It sells pretty well, and girls think it's cute.
  • Reply 34 of 243
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottdburnett View Post

Are we talking about a Macbook Nano, basically a smaller Macbook Air, or is it a big iPod Touch?

Supersized Touch- Apple will be different.
  • Reply 35 of 243
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    A touch screen would make a very nice interface to a Apple TV but 10" seem to be an overkill for that
  • Reply 36 of 243
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

Wasn't there an Apple patent of a dual screen hinged device ala Nintendo DS floating around some months ago? Seems to me that a 10 inch diagonal would make a very nice standard notebook secondary screen replacing the touchpad, etc.

This thing?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03...screen_patent/

Interesting.
  • Reply 37 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

maybe a clamshell..

dual touch screens.

ie replace your touch pad and mouse..

let it open eitehr side up...

and have 1 screen be the dispaly and touchpad (to replace the touchpad) and the other other touch screen be a iphone-sque keyboard and touch pad as well, so like a graphics tablet..
  • Reply 38 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottdburnett View Post

That's really the question, isn't it?

Put an open, extendable OS on it that anyone can write software for, or close it off, force you to wait in line in order to code for it, and also tie it contractually and by hardware to some evil entity?

The netbook market is definitely about mobility and browsing--also light document editing. The former will definitely suggest to Apple "iPod Touch"--complete with AT&T contract--but the latter should give them pause. I'm willing to bet most people type faster on an 80%-sized mechanical keyboard than they will on a similarly-sized touch keyboard (that also takes up screen real estate).
  • Reply 39 of 243
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I might start making teleportation machines, then in 20 years when apple 'copies' my idea, I can tell everyone Apple never innovates and stole my idea.

Does it matter that my teleportation machine consists of nothing more than a cardboard box? No, according to some on this forum.
  • Reply 40 of 243
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I can already smell the disappointment from people when Apple finally releases whatever this thing is. What? It's not $200?

The thing will be hammered here, that's a given. But we are a far cry from representing the mass market.

Quote:

I'm still trying to figure out what problem the netbook solves, anyway. I have a laptop. I have an iPhone.

Personally I completely agree. I have never seen a Net Book in use anywhere. I have seen small form laptops (12") but that's it. Others here would furiously disagree. But I am excited about this because rarely are people so unsure about what it will be. I cannot see that the form factor as described will be successful without some kind of separate keyboard. For the traveller working away in a hotel room at night they will need some means to prop the screen up, and type on a keyboard.