Best iPhone Case

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I didn't see any other threads on this before, but I am curious to what people think of the iPhone cases. I currently do not have a case for my phone but am looking into purchasing one soon. I tried the Agent 18 Eco case and it was okay. I liked how it was smooth and would fit in my pocket fine, but I felt it was a little cheap (the two pieces didn't connect too well together and for some reason the sound from the mic reverberated against the case making it hard to hear.

I would like to hear what you all have and what you think are the pros and cons?

For my usage, I would like it to go in my pocket (not a fan of the belt clip on the phone case). I dont mind it being rubbery, but not to the point where it affects if I can get it in or out of my pocket.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

I didn't see any other threads on this before, but I am curious to what people think of the iPhone cases. I currently do not have a case for my phone but am looking into purchasing one soon. I tried the Agent 18 Eco case and it was okay. I liked how it was smooth and would fit in my pocket fine, but I felt it was a little cheap (the two pieces didn't connect too well together and for some reason the sound from the mic reverberated against the case making it hard to hear.

I would like to hear what you all have and what you think are the pros and cons?

For my usage, I would like it to go in my pocket (not a fan of the belt clip on the phone case). I dont mind it being rubbery, but not to the point where it affects if I can get it in or out of my pocket.

I hope you find the perfect case for your iPhone, TrojanShawn. Although I've tried a few cases and the anti glare film, I quickly took all of them off and decided to stay without a case. Instead, I've made one simple rule - I keep the iPhone in my pocket, without having anything else (such as money, keys, etc.) in that same pocket. That way it stays slim, sleek, clean, and ready at a moment's notice. The actual texture of the iPhone feels better to me than just about any of the cases, plus cleaning off the screen (from fingerprints) is no longer a chore - it's more like shining up my car, keeping it in crystal clear new condition.

Speaking only for myself, since I don't have a protective case it becomes all the more important that I take exceptional care of the iPhone. When I place it on a table or desk, there's always something soft underneath it. When my hands are full, I don't try to juggle to get an incoming call or email or text message - I wait for a better time to do so. In short, I treat my iPhone exceptionally well, so for me buying a case for it is overkill.

But again, TrojanShawn, that's me. Cases are fine for many people but they usually add to the bulk of the iPhone, detract from how it feels (the form or the glass), make it slightly harder to put in or remove from your pocket, and - above all, if any dirt or small objects sneak into that case they're bound to rub up against the iPhone for weeks, thus scratching parts of the iPhone you won't even see until you remove it.

As a side note, it won't be too funny if a particular case breaks, such as the snaps (or whatever holding it to the iPhone) fail. Buying Apple's extended repair plan for the iPhone, so you have two years coverage instead of just one, is slightly more expensive than buying a case.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I had a friend that went through the same situation. He wanted a case and a clip-on was not an option. Almost everything he saw had a belt clip on it and most of those were not removable. Finally he decided on a plastic/rubbery one and I warned him that:

1) It would make the iPhone just that much thicker and

2) It would be hard to get it in and out of his pocket.

After one night of using it and fighting to get it in and out of his jeans pocket, he returned it and decided to just "be careful" with it.

For the record, I've dropped my iPhone a few times. Once I dropped it onto my granite counter top where it then bounced off and onto the tile floor. Everything was fine except a small barely noticeable scratch on the back bottom black piece.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I keep my iPhone bare as well. I do use a small belt pouch (an Iincase) for when I'm walking around (otherwise I just keep it in my pocket sans keys or change). The Incase pouch has a velcro cover and it allows me to easily remove the phone when it rings.

I prefer to feeling, size and weight of the iPhone natively. Why buy such a well designed item only to shove inside a rubber monstrosity?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Definitely XtremeMac's TuffWrap. It's thin, minimal, no bad looking, provides great grip, is easy to take off and put on, yet doesn't fall off. And it comes with screen protector too. Highly, highly recommended!!

AND.. it's only 20 bucks.

• Reply 5 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i feel the best "belt clip" made is from body glove, that clip releases from the bottom not the top like most, it doesn't sound like a big deal but by design is much safer and secure

now what does body glove make, i thought about a simple side pouch with flip up side

horizontal case http://www.bodyglove.com/products_de...oduct_id=21499

but you need a skin to protect the edges and screen, so i'm looking at a combo, using bodyglove outer and some silicon tough case as described above that includes a screen protective.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I am liking my PowerSupport AirJacket (Black Satin Back) With Antiglare Screen Protector

http://www.powersupportusa.com/produ...3G_airjack.php

I like the "Stealth" feel of it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I tried the air jacket and was pissed when it scratch my bezel and recently switched to the iskin solo. It looks like a hardcase at first cause its translucent and glossy but its actually rubber like and can take a beating unlike plastic and it doesnt scratch like plastic! This is the best case ive tried so far and im not gonna be changing soon. The apple online store carries it but i xant find them in stores or anywhere else( i got mine in clear from macworld 09 so its exclusive)
  • Reply 8 of 13
    element cases.. IMO the best most unique cases ever made. A little bit on the pricey side, but right now they have a deal on 'flawed' cases (blems) where you can get them for 40% off. I own 3 of them, and I always get compliments.

www.elementcase.com
  • Reply 9 of 13
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I've used a few cases, currently I'm using some cheap no-name thing I picked up at a market.

I charge my iPhone in a dock so being easily removable is a must (goodbye Rebel Switcheasy) and in my car holder.

The main thing is this sticks up above the bezel by a few mm (1/10") so if it falls face down the screen doesn't touch the ground.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

The case I fell in love with is from iFrogz Luxe Lean cases - slim and do very well.

They also make a privacy film which I have found wourks very well.

If you live near a Best Buy (they carry them) check the cases out.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    For those not interested in a case but just a screen protector. Just confirmed this deal found on AT works as I ordered one for myself.

-----

This might help new iPhone 4 owners. ViewGuard.com has their ViewGuard Anti-Glare Matte Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 4 listed at 99 cents. I just got the code, VIEWGUARDVIP0211, via e-mail for free shipping. It appears not to be unique as I used it twice this morning to send gifts to friends.

ViewGuard Anti-Glare Matte Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 4

http://www.viewguard.com/en-us/search/VG-30350/

Coupon Code for Free Shipping: VIEWGUARDVIP0211
  • Reply 12 of 13
    what are yalls thoughts on the Otterbox cases? i know some can be quite pricey but i see there is one for $20