• Reply 41 of 243
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

utter garbage sorry!

Possibly state why?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Right. Apple didn't invent the cell phone, they just perfected it. RIM, Motorola, and Palm are scrambling to catch up.

I don't think they perfected it, but they made an amazing UI and yes, others are catching up now.
  • Reply 42 of 243
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Hmmm

10" screen to me = no physical keyboard.

I'd expect mostly a display with a few buttons down at the bottom. If Apple's smart they'd accessorize with a BT keyboard and Dock.

Clearly anything this size would run a full version of OS X. ARM is a possibility and IMO most apps that would run on a portable device like this could be recompiled pretty easily if given the right tools (say Xcode 4.0 with LLVM 2.5 and a good ARM target)

10" would give Apple the ability to put in a decent flat battery and I'd expect the life would be pretty long.

I can see magsafe and Mini DisplayPort interfaces, USB and Ethernet in addition to audio I/O.

I think portions of the tablet would be rubberized for grip in your hand and on the desk. Hell Apple may even include some sort of pop out kickstand for proping up to watch a video or presentation.
  • Reply 43 of 243
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

I don't think they perfected it, but they made an amazing UI and yes, others are catching up now.

Maybe I should have said the iPhone is "unparalleled" or it's "peerless"?

And you're right, "catching" is the key word as opposed to "leading".
  • Reply 44 of 243
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

10" touchscreen to me = iPhone OSX platform and the apps that go with that platform. Perhaps they'll need some modification to work optimally on that device but I suspect it'll not be a major undertaking for iPhone apps to be modified to work on an Apple netbook (or whatever you want to call it).

This likely means ARM. Atom doesn't have an advantage here.

Hopefully they an do it for around $500. But I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 45 of 243
    guajiguaji Posts: 1member
    Look at the big picture. what they need to add in to their current portfolio in order to leverage their app store is a $399 10inches handheld gaming device which also does streaming video/movie from itunes. It's the best timing to go for handheld gaming industry as they have superior on-demand delivering model.
  • Reply 46 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

10" touchscreen to me = iPhone OSX platform and the apps that go with that platform. Perhaps they'll need some modification to work optimally on that device but I suspect it'll not be a major undertaking for iPhone apps to be modified to work on an Apple netbook (or whatever you want to call it).

This likely means ARM. Atom doesn't have an advantage here.

Hopefully they an do it for around $500. But I'm not holding my breath.

I see both in the form of OS X with a compatibilty mode for iPhone apps. iPhone apps won't just magically expand to fill out a 10" screen so we really need full OS X will menu bar and dock IMO.
  • Reply 47 of 243
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Hmmm

I'd expect mostly a display with a few buttons down at the bottom. If Apple's smart they'd accessorize with a BT keyboard and Dock.

Clearly anything this size would run a full version of OS X. ARM is a possibility and IMO most apps that would run on a portable device like this could be recompiled pretty easily if given the right tools (say Xcode 4.0 with LLVM 2.5 and a good ARM target)

10" would give Apple the ability to put in a decent flat battery and I'd expect the life would be pretty long.

I can see magsafe and Mini DisplayPort interfaces, USB and Ethernet in addition to audio I/O.

I think portions of the tablet would be rubberized for grip in your hand and on the desk. Hell Apple may even include some sort of pop out kickstand for proping up to watch a video or presentation.

I agree with all that bar the full blown OSX. My money is on iphone OS but with numerous additions.
  • Reply 48 of 243
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ireland is going to walking to clouds all day after he reads this.

Not really, I was way off at 10.1"

• Reply 49 of 243
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Apple is always behind in getting on the bandwagon for technology. Maybe this is why they sit under the 10% threshold marketshare.

Origami? or UMPC? Zune wifi sharing? Surface? SPOT watches? Aero?

Apple thinks about the whole value system - performance and cost (high but reasonable).

Apple uses technologies when they're ready to provide value, not just because it's there.

And Apple carefully invests in those technologies that are most useful to actually put into the end product. Multi-touch. OpenCL/Grand Central. Battery. Unibody.
  • Reply 50 of 243
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Maybe this is why they sit under the 10% threshold marketshare.

True, but have you heard the old saying:

Turnover is for vanity

Profit is for sanity

At the last count how many billions of dollars does Apple have in the bank?
  • Reply 51 of 243
    Quote:

I agree with all that bar the full blown OSX. My money is on iphone OS but with numerous additions.

How so? iPhone UI on a 10" screen? I'm not seeing as how that's something that's going to generate revenue/profits for people that need web access and light duty applications on the road.

Folks the iPhones UI is hard coded. Apple can't go changing things on a whim without making it difficult for iPhone developers.
  • Reply 52 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

And you're right, "catching" is the key word as opposed to "leading".

Of touchscreen smartphones on the market, none have multi-touch gestures, and most, if not all, have laggy and/or buggy behavior. You might say it's got 80% of the look, but it's that last 20% that takes a long time to perfect.

Only Pre has multi-touch and it's not released so we don't know. Even the Storm looked good pre-release.

So others are moving towards Apple direction, but I'd hesitate to say they are "catching".
  • Reply 53 of 243
    Quote:

How so? iPhone UI on a 10" screen? I'm not seeing as how that's something that's going to generate revenue/profits for people that need web access and light duty applications on the road.

Folks the iPhones UI is hard coded. Apple can't go changing things on a whim without making it difficult for iPhone developers.

hard coded? in what fashion? Apple can bring out a device of any size they wish and use the iphone os. And they will.

And I dont see the difficulty with developers. I am one, wont bother me.
  • Reply 54 of 243
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Of touchscreen smartphones on the market, none have multi-touch gestures, and most, if not all, have laggy and/or buggy behavior. You might say it's got 80% of the look, but it's that last 20% that takes a long time to perfect.

Only Pre has multi-touch and it's not released so we don't know. Even the Storm looked good pre-release.

So others are moving towards Apple direction, but I'd hesitate to say they are "catching".

Zactly! "Chasing" would be more suitable.
  • Reply 55 of 243
    Quote:

If needed, those 480x320 elements just exist inside "tabbed windows" on the larger screen. Some apps can be "magnified".

Additional new applications, such as Safari, iTunes, or iWork, can be developed that use multi-touch at the full resolution (though these won't work on the iPhone/iPod touch). Apple will again initially point people to use web apps (i.e. cloud computing) within Safari.
  • Reply 56 of 243
    Quote:

hard coded? in what fashion? Apple can bring out a device of any size they wish and use the iphone os. And they will.

And I dont see the difficulty with developers. I am one, wont bother me.

Yes but if you're a developer that has iphone apps in the market you're constrained to the UI dimension of the iPhone. If Apple where to come out with a 10" product with iPhone UI the decision would be to either make developers change their UI to meet new dimensions or run the iPhone UI with the same dimensions which begs the question why ship a 10" at all?
  • Reply 57 of 243
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, as a (non-gamer) consumer, I could care less if the other 90% used Apples or not.

Do you not mean "I could not care less...". I you can care less, then truly, you really are quite annoyed....
  • Reply 58 of 243
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Couldn't they change the OS so that it re-sizes images to fit the size of the screen?
  • Reply 59 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

If needed, those 480x320 elements just exist inside "tabbed windows" on the larger screen. Some apps can be "magnified".

Additional new applications, such as Safari, iTunes, or iWork, can be developed that use multi-touch at the full resolution (though these won't work on the iPhone/iPod touch). Apple will again initially point people to use web apps (i.e. cloud computing) within Safari.

Yes but imagine that UI with a bunch of tabbed windows that looks like bastard children spawned by OctoiPod. That's not something I see Apple shipping.

Let's be clear here folks. It makes no sense to ship a 10" screen with an iphone UI. Snow Leopard adds Cocoa Touch as a very important API to the framework. Why in the world would they do this and not leverage it?
  • Reply 60 of 243
    Quote:

Yes but if you're a developer that has iphone apps in the market you're constrained to the UI dimension of the iPhone. If Apple where to come out with a 10" product with iPhone UI the decision would be to either make developers change their UI to meet new dimensions or run the iPhone UI with the same dimensions which begs the question why ship a 10" at all?

Apple have made developers jump through smaller hoops in the past. I mean ya could just inflate the whole app, you would suffer pixelation on images(those that are not vector), but the functionality would still exist. As a temporary measure this would be acceptable.