Sleep mode in OS X ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When the hard disk has spun down.....

can the HD be spun back up if it detects network activities w/out activating the monitor?

or can it even re-spin for network activity, @ all?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote] can the HD be spun back up if it detects network activities w/out activating the monitor?

<hr></blockquote>

no.

[quote] or can it even re-spin for network activity, @ all?

<hr></blockquote>

no.

if the computer detects network activity (i.e. if an admin wakes the computer up over an network) he goes out of sleep mode.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    so once it's in sleep mode, it can wake back up unless the user turns it back up or an admin sends a packet? [btw: how does one send a packet over the network to wake a PC up?]

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ^^^^

also : when does the computer actually GO to sleep? what if there's network/data transferring still going on?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    at least for the dial-up ppp connection, the computer will terminate the connection before going to sleep.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Not sure about dial-up, but OSX only terminates my connection if I use Sleep from the Apple menu. The connection stays active if it just goes to sleep after 20 minutes(or whatever you have set in the Energy Saver control panel).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Yeah, I hate that, because I can't leave AIM on or download things and just put the computer to sleep.

-Mike
  • Reply 7 of 13
    so if AIM was still running, would that mean it won't go to sleep?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I was wondering about this so it's a great time for this thread. If I am downloading something overnight, and I just leave my computer exactly the way it is, will it put the display to sleep but keep the rest going until it's done? Or will it stop downloading as soon as it's time to fall asleep? Will it put the unused parts of my computer asleep until the hard drive's done being written to?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

<strong>so if AIM was still running, would that mean it won't go to sleep?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well if you have it set to go to sleep let's say like after 30 minutes and AIM has been idle it'll still go to sleep (at least that's what happens with me).
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I have another question about sleep in OS X.

When I have the iBook open, and it's past the time to go to sleep in OS X, the display does go black, but the white pulsating light doesn't turn on. Is it sleeping or not?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Do you have the display and the computer set to sleep after different amounts of time?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I have them set to the same amount of time.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Is there anyway to have the display off [sleep] but the HD still continuing to be active?? also, is there anyway for the drive to slowdown [spin-down] in the meantime, unless it detects some type of data transferring?