Apple orders 10-inch touchscreens for mystery product

Comments

• Reply 61 of 243
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes but if you're a developer that has iphone apps in the market you're constrained to the UI dimension of the iPhone. If Apple where to come out with a 10" product with iPhone UI the decision would be to either make developers change their UI to meet new dimensions or run the iPhone UI with the same dimensions which begs the question why ship a 10" at all?

Hey, it's another opportunity to sell an additional app, quite possibly with less than half the additional work.

Seriously, if your app works great at 480x320, then you don't have to redevelop; it'll just work. But if your app really needs more real estate to even exist in a usable form (like iWork), then the 10" UI is for you.
  • Reply 62 of 243
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Yes but imagine that UI with a bunch of tabbed windows that looks like bastard children spawned by OctoiPod. That's not something I see Apple shipping.

Let's be clear here folks. It makes no sense to ship a 10" screen with an iphone UI. Snow Leopard adds Cocoa Touch as a very important API to the framework. Why in the world would they do this and not leverage it?

Better battery life and general efficiency.

+ less likely to cannibalize sales of macbooks.

security + sandbox, app store,

shedloads of new developers.

shedloads of non mac users accustomed to the interface.
  • Reply 63 of 243
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Apple have made developers jump through smaller hoops in the past. I mean ya could just inflate the whole app, you would suffer pixelation on images(those that are not vector), but the functionality would still exist. As a temporary measure this would be acceptable.

More to the point, modifying your UI with InterfaceBuilder is a snap. That's not a problem, regardless of the form factor.
  • Reply 64 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Hey, it's another opportunity to sell an additional app,.

Absolutely, and I wont knock that!
  • Reply 65 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

More to the point, modifying your UI with InterfaceBuilder is a snap. That's not a problem, regardless of the form factor.

Yeah loads of ways to do it, apple have said all along to develop without hard coding the dimensions.
  • Reply 66 of 243
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Apple knows what they are doing. They will make something with a shit load of features and the other netbooks will look like children made them.
  • Reply 67 of 243
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Yes but imagine that UI with a bunch of tabbed windows that looks like bastard children spawned by OctoiPod. That's not something I see Apple shipping.

But they would all be tied together by what else, ... Coverflow!!!
  • Reply 68 of 243
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

But they would all be tied together by what else, ... Coverflow!!!

Cool Idea!
  • Reply 69 of 243
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I know what it is.

All I will say is, there is a new tone at Apple with Steve Jobs gone.

Cook is cooking up something too.
  • Reply 70 of 243
    ncbillncbill Posts: 17member
    How does Apple make money in this space when one can already load Leopard (and keep XP or Linux as well) on any of the $300 netbooks already out there?

Touchscreen is neat, but will people pay an extra $300 or so for that feature?
  • Reply 71 of 243
    I was reading the editor's page in the current issue of MacWorld, which discusses ideas for an Apple touchscreen "netbook." It mentions the need for an optional keyboard for tasks involving a lot of typing. It occurred to me that's possibly why Apple introduced the new smaller keyboards with the new iMacs: that may be the keyboard designed to complement the new "netbook."
  • Reply 72 of 243
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not really, I was way off at 10.1"

Hey Ireland! Ready to tell all them beeotches "I told ya so!" for not believing??

Mactouch ftw suckassssssssssss!!!!111
  • Reply 73 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Do you not mean "I could not care less...". I you can care less, then truly, you really are quite annoyed....

Oh, we've been over that one many times in this forum!

Basically, both forms of usage are correct.

('Could care less...' is what they call a "sarcastic inversion"........)
  • Reply 74 of 243
    Hi,

I think the table will have built-in 3G (data only). Anything else would be crazy. However, I hope Apple will not tie it to any particular mobile operator. Would be so much easier to launch it globally themselves, without all those difficult negotiations.

Built-in 3G means FCC approval, right? Apple would then have to announce it a couple of months in advance, like with the iPhone.

The rumors mentions Q3 shipment. In that case, the announcement could fit the 2 days slot in May, that is booked at Moscone Center under "corporate meeting".

What do you guys think?

/Daniel
  • Reply 75 of 243
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what problem the netbook solves, anyway. I have a laptop. I have an iPhone.

What good is an underpowered laptop that is smaller than my current MacBook Pro, but can't run Photoshop or Final Cut effectively?

What does this give me that I don't already have?

I do mostly word processing, emailing, networking, surfing, media watching and bookkeeping - none of which are optimal on an iPhone, outside of podcasts and short vids. And I like to be able to do these things wherever I am.

My heavy photoshopping and vid work is done at home on a 5 lb. notebook I don't mind lugging from room to room, but not for three or more hours walking city streets with it and managing an extra 3-4 lb bag all day long. One briefcase full of papers is enough!

So a 1 to 1.5# machine that meets 80% of my computing needs in a much cheaper form factor than an Air and no bigger than an extra legal pad is exactly what I'm jonesing for.

And, changing a few particulars, I'm hardly alone.
  • Reply 76 of 243
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

That's really the question, isn't it?

Put an open, extendable OS on it that anyone can write software for, or close it off, force you to wait in line in order to code for it, and also tie it contractually and by hardware to some evil entity?

The netbook market is definitely about mobility and browsing--also light document editing. The former will definitely suggest to Apple "iPod Touch"--complete with AT&T contract--but the latter should give them pause. I'm willing to bet most people type faster on an 80%-sized mechanical keyboard than they will on a similarly-sized touch keyboard (that also takes up screen real estate).

Jeez, glass half empty much?

You'll probably be glad to know that MacNN is reporting that this is for a "MacBook Air mini,"

which it pretty much has to be for the screen size of 10" to be accurate. On the other hand, if it's a mini Air, then it doesn't need to be a touch panel at all, so who knows.

The only thing that seems certain at this point is that you will be disappointed and angry regardless.
  • Reply 77 of 243
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I know what it is.

All I will say is, there is a new tone at Apple with Steve Jobs gone.

Cook is cooking up something too.

Nah.

If you knew anything at all, you would know that a product that is being assembled today or even in the near future, would have been tested and approved long before Steve's absence.

You would also know that board members are not able to lie about such things without legal consequences, so the many statements they have made about that Steve Jobs is "still the CEO" and "still involved" in these kinds of decisions even while on sick leave, is most likely correct.
  • Reply 78 of 243
    hmmm well I better write this now before I regret it at a later date.. I'm back on the fence as to which OS they choose. I think it depends on the market they go for. There are good reasons to have either OS. Infact both should exist to syphon users from iphone touch to the mac.

But i still stand by the fact that a device of similar size will run the iphone OS, some point soon, even if this rumored device is not it.
  • Reply 79 of 243
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Yes but if you're a developer that has iphone apps in the market you're constrained to the UI dimension of the iPhone. If Apple where to come out with a 10" product with iPhone UI the decision would be to either make developers change their UI to meet new dimensions or run the iPhone UI with the same dimensions which begs the question why ship a 10" at all?

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/12/05...mes-on-tv.html

Not that big an issue for developers. Most of the problems software wise is with the images used in any baackground graphics being too small.

Why ship a 10" touch based on iPhone OSX? If it is ARM then the iPhone OSX already works.

But I'd rather have Atom and full OSX and not have to worry about ports of mainstream OSX apps.
  • Reply 80 of 243
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Jeez, glass half empty much?

You'll probably be glad to know that MacNN is reporting that this is for a "MacBook Air mini,"

which it pretty much has to be for the screen size of 10" to be accurate. On the other hand, if it's a mini Air, then it doesn't need to be a touch panel at all, so who knows.

Unless the MacBook Air Mini is a convertible tablet.