Two possible dates for Apple's WWDC 2009 emerge

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Okay. How about:

May. WWDC Mac Developer event (with Snow Leopard release or announcement of release date at least.). After all it will be 19mths since Leopard was released. (Previous OS Xrelease intervals have been 6mths(10.1), 11 mths(10.2), 14mths(10.3), 18 mths(10.4) and 30mths(10.5))

June. WWDC iPhone/iPod Developer event (with iPhone 3.0 software release and new iPhone model(s))

I doubt Apple would split WWDC. It would place too much of a burden on small companies that develop for both platforms who can barely afford to send a developer to one conference, let alone two.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palter View Post

I doubt Apple would split WWDC. It would place too much of a burden on small companies that develop for both platforms who can barely afford to send a developer to one conference, let alone two.

Not only that, I think it would also confuse the "message" on how similar the two platforms are. The two platforms are certainly not the same, but a lot of the knowledge and skills needed to program one pretty readily transfers to the other.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don't think they'll intro a "new" iPhone model. The current version is fine, and the most anyone should expect is a price reduction.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't think they'll intro a "new" iPhone model. The current version is fine, and the most anyone should expect is a price reduction.

I think we should expect a new iPhone to emerge. It's had the same screen resolution, RAM and CPU for two years now. It'll be a year between HW revisions and many contracts will be coming up from the original iPhone owners so Apple needs to encourage them to buy another.

Since the iPhone debuted the screen resolutions have increased and Apple has partnered with Nvidia which has a great new GPU for mobile devices. I think this will be the most significant overhaul to the iPhone yet, since the last one was many a case change and addition of 3G.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Depends on how you define model? I think we certainly see a new faster architecture for the iPhone. Nothing too major but faster Wifi, more bluetooth features and SGX graphics with OpenGL ES 2.0.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we should expect a new iPhone to emerge. It's had the same screen resolution, RAM and CPU for two years now. It'll be a year between HW revisions and many contracts will be coming up from the original iPhone owners so Apple needs to encourage them to buy another.

Since the iPhone debuted the screen resolutions have increased and Apple has partnered with Nvidia which has a great new GPU for mobile devices. I think this will be the most significant overhaul to the iPhone yet, since the last one was many a case change and addition of 3G.

Screen rez probably won't change anytime soon lest Apple wants to stress developers out. Perhaps in 2010 rez independence will make scaling on portable devices somewhat trivial.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Screen rez probably won't change anytime soon lest Apple wants to stress developers out. Perhaps in 2010 rez independence will make scaling on portable devices somewhat trivial.

Is it already using RI elements and aren't developers supposed to be using scaling vectors instead of bitmaps according to the SDK? I don't think upping the resolution 50% (720x480) on the axes would require too much work from developers. It seems like a trivial fix, but that is speculation on my part.

PS: RI has not changed between Leopard and Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it already using RI elements and aren't developers supposed to be using scaling vectors instead of bitmaps according to the SDK? I don't think upping the resolution 50% (720x480) on the axes would require too much work from developers. It seems like a trivial fix, but that is speculation on my part.

PS: RI has not changed between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

I'm not surprised. I don't expect RI to become a factor until 10.7. We just don't have enough high PPI monitors to make it a necessity IMO. Interface and gaming should get a boost from OpenGL ES 2.0 programmable shaders though.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I'm not surprised. I don't expect RI to become a factor until 10.7. We just don't have enough high PPI monitors to make it a necessity IMO. Interface and gaming should get a boost from OpenGL ES 2.0 programmable shaders though.

It's not just for higher pitch monitors, though RI is almost required to make even higher pitch monitors useful. As it is right now, I don't think anything there really displays documents correctly in terms of size without a bit of fudging. Some notebooks out there show text at smaller than half scale.

But I'd say that the phone platform can benefit more for it right now than the computer platform, and it's probably less work to get it ready.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

But the RI has to be complete before the monitors come into play for the transition to work. Right now, I think it's getting too tough for older eyes. Apple has never been as good about scaling as Windows has. That and the Florida MLS website requiring IE's ActiveX made switching difficult for my parents.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Moscone's schedule changed the May "Corporate Meeting":

http://www.moscone.com/site/do/event...&nav.base=0903

To May 27-28. Methinks two-day WWDC is unlikely. That leaves June.

But Apple really should announce WWDC sooner. Hotel rates in SF gets expensive.