Apple details new Voice Over controls for iPod shuffle

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

The instructions alone read like an Apple parody in an Onion article.

LOL That chart is reminiscent of an Onion article, but in all seriousness those commands have been around and evolving since the first iPhone. They aren't difficult to learn, remember or use. In fact, I had been wanting more commends to be added to the device and I have somewhat gotten my wish. Now I just need to wait for the next iPhone OS X update to make them functional.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJD2112 View Post

I wonder why those three simple buttons could not have been placed on the shuffle as well?

It seems like your suggesting Apple was not able to add, not that they choose not to add them. It surely would make device thicker and probably cost more and be less durable for having more movable pats, but it would be possible to add them.

Apple seems to have had good success with the controllable phones introduces with the iPhone, enough they no sell ear-buds and in-er phones with controls and a mic built-in to them. I haven't checked but I'm guessing that these phones don't come with the mic.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    If one took the time to visit the Apple site, a couple of minutes matching the video is all it takes to understand the basics and then checkout the "See how the controls work" http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/features.html

If you have half a brain, it couldn't be any simpler to appreciate Apple's positioning of the product and its ease of use. By the way, if you really think you have to worry about the little green light, then your asses are your brains.

As for the earphones, Apple has done nothing that every other company has not done since the Walkman. They have satisfied the majority of the population, which is evident by there continued popularity. And for anybody to suggest that people don't care or don't know any better is the reason they are so popular, perhaps they should ask themselves if it is possible that you are wrong. That they do care and it is you that doesn't know any better.

Unfortunately, Apple or any other company can not make a universal ear piece that fits or suits everybody anatomically.

As "Dr. Alan Micco, an otologist/neurotologist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, offers the same explanation we give ourselves every time we look at Heidi Klum's legs: "Everybody's anatomy is different."

"The contour of ear canals is different," he said. "The size of the opening of ear canals is different, and all of that can affect the placement of those little buds."

And yes, he said, "you can have differences from one side to the other. We are not symmetrical creatures." https://www.nmff.org/aboutus/newssto...?id=255&page=6

In addition, ear/headsets will never satisfy everybody. We also hear differently. Just like our sense of taste, smell, touch and even sight.

So, if you don't like the ear buds, you can do two things. Don't buy the new Shuffle, or if you are one of the intended target market you can wait until the announced adapter that will allow you to use your own preferred headphone comes out.

With VoiceOver, you really have to hear the product or at least watch the video. It is un-inrusive. Just enough to tell where you are. Remember this is primary a "Shuffle." Not a disc jockey's scheduled play list.

I predict that this product will sell extremely well.

Unfortunately for Apple, every time they innovate that bucks the abnormal, it has to be met with such negative rhetoric as we see from the same group of dissers here. Fortunately, they are invariably proven wrong.

I for one, can't wait. To play and listen to it. And to use it as a storage drive to transfer files.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Well from what I know Apple is currently working with other 3rd party headphones to release their version of a multi functional buttoned headphones, so guess time will tell.

And yea, only few few fewwww people only will change their headsets, heck I changed mine cause my original iPod broke, if it didn't broke, I think I wont be gettin a new one till today.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I have purchased all the cute little shuffles from Apple. In deference to the economy, I'll probably stop that bad habit. I'm a little confused at the tradeoff Apple has made between ease of use and size. It's small: check. It's the clumsiest interface ever: double click, hold, face towards Mecca and release after 3 seconds.

I would not buy this iPod if I wanted to control playback and I suspect playlist freaks will spend a few more $$$ to obtain the necessary buttons and screen to bend the iPod to their will.

I read Chris Breen's take on it and in the end, when he stated this weird iPod's purpose, it suddenly became more clear. For those that use what Apple throws in the box, who will probably just let the thing shuffle along, this little ingot will bring much joy.

Ah heck...talked myself into it. I'll probably buy one.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Surely the next logical step is to make the Shuffle voice controlled?
  • Reply 27 of 102
    markmark Posts: 143member
    Boy, that's a lot of functions for that centre button...

The old shuffle was already so small. I don't think the new, even smaller size is worth losing the controls.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    markmark Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It surely would make device thicker and probably cost more and be less durable for having more movable [parts].

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean it would be thick, expensive and unreliable. And we don't have to discuss such a device as though it were something theoretical. All we have to do is look at the old shuffle.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It seems like most people do use stock earbuds though. I wonder if that consideration would even come up any time before the earbuds die or break.

My wife wears hearing aids and can't use earbuds. Although she would like to use the new Shuffle, putting the controls on earbuds will prevent her from being able to use the player.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

You are making assumptions. Let me state some facts:

1) Apple supports previous-generation iPods for years after they are replaced.

2) Unlike many manufacturers, Apple knows that devices are virtually disposable in the long term and by making them as small and simple as possible, they minimize the impact on the environment. It's responsible design. I guess this could be my opinion, but I state it as a fact.

mmm...

So like when I bought my ipod touch and docked it into my Apple HiFi only to find out it does not charge it anymore?

Not that Apple gave me any kind of warning on their website or the packaging that the new iPods could not be charged from the pretty expensive dock I own and have used on previous ipods. Apple just assume that as I am an Apple customer then I am willing to keep throwing things away and buying new stuff all the time.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Who in their right mind will buy a device that can ONLY use the Apple earbuds?

ABSTER2CORE, Adjei1, and CJD21112
  • Reply 32 of 102
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple supplies a short 45 mm USB adapter with the iPod shuffle (pictured below), and also offers an optional 1 meter long version of the cable.

Between the inability to use standard headphones, Voice Over already being the butt of some jokes and a 45mm cable (~1.77 inches) ... UGH.

Quote:

Voice Over features can be activated in iTunes during initial setup or at any later time from iTunes' Device Summary tab presented when the third generation iPod shuffle is attached. Once Voice Over is activated, iTunes will install Voice Over Kit software on the local computer and will generate audio VoiceOver messages to be synced to the device in the language specified.

Oh, good grief, the new Shuffle doesn't even talk, it requires the host computer to generate and sync the voice audio.

Hopefully it's easier to use than the instructions make it seem. Binary math sounds more fun.

What a mess. Is it too late for Apple to consider 4GB in a 1st gen Shuffle?
  • Reply 33 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I'm as big an Apple fanboy as any, but even I have to admit... I'm waiting for the "April Fools!" message on Apple's website. I've admittedly never been the target consumer for a Shuffle (I like the screen and being able to select what I want to listen to) but I appreciate why they exist. This new Shuffle, however, has got to be the most ridiculous, counter-intuitive, unattractive gadget they've released in the last five years. The instructions alone read like an Apple parody in an Onion article.

I don't say this to be a troll and piss people off... But seriously, if someone other than Apple released this as a competitor to the last generation Shuffle, it'd be the laughingstock of the internets. It'd be a joke today, and completely forgotten tomorrow.

Everyone screws up. Apple's not immune. Although I think anyone who owned a third-generation iPod could have already told you that...

I couldn't agree wit you more-

Headphones only control all the operations? What were they thinking? Why not issue a pea sized iPod with this functionality. You're right -this is reminiscent of the 3G iPod- which I skipped. How many of those do you still see in operation?

Apple took the simplified minimized Shuffle and turned it into a complex fiasco. And you can't use this on any of the many accessories out there now?

And holding down on buttons for operations is a major mistake- just ask anybody who's ever tried to put an Apple TV in standby mode with their remotes.

I could go on and on. And I am certainly NOT in the minority.

ANY DOUBTS? READ THIS FROM THE MOST RESPECTED IPOD SITE:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...hones-adapter/
  • Reply 34 of 102
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    The redesign doesn't bother me particularily, I like the idea. But:

They could have put more buttons on the remote - it would have made things easier.

They could alo have put buttons on the shuffle itself - perhaps along it's sides (rather than front).

Frankly it wouldn't bother me much as it is, but giving it to your (say) aged-parent, the added complexity of having to virtually use morse-code to use might be too much...
  • Reply 35 of 102
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Even if you live under a bridge, you can still figure out that the controls being tied to the earbuds is a very poor design.

Who in their right mind will buy a device that can ONLY use the Apple earbuds?

People who buy Apple should be expected to only use what Apple allows them too - when has that changed? If you don't like it, get something else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing

I never thought 4chan crap would start showing up here, of all places.

Deuces, to put it into words you may understand, "gb2/b/"

It's only a matter of time. Soon we'll start seeing slowpokes and xzibits popping up

"I put an iPod in your iPod..."

Trolls suck

and

Apple doesn't have to be perfect all the time. Sales will show how this product fairs. Evolution doesn't always produce the best results, but not until it dies will you really know.

If it sucks, it won't sell. Either way, if you want it - deal with it.

I have my own problems with it - partly because of the lack of controls - partly with the size. It does give me incentive to buy the newer in-ear headphones, though, so there is a better listening experience on ALL of my iPods.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Also, as noted on iLounge:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...r-play-option/

In a new support document entitled ”iPod shuffle (3rd generation): About headphone compatibility,” Apple has disclosed that the new iPod shuffle can be set to play audio, without additional user input, even without the earphone-based controls. “When a standard headphone or audio accessory is connected you can initiate audio playback by simply switching iPod shuffle to the play in order or shuffle position from the off position… iPod shuffle will resume playback of the content that was previously being played at a fixed volume level that cannot be adjusted from the iPod itself. If iPod shuffle is connected to external speakers or a car stereo, volume adjustment may be possible from those devices.” While track control will still be impossible, this method should provide a temporary solution for owners who want to use the device with their car stereo or external speakers, until a proper adapter is available.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Did anybody read the product infoon Appl's website? If you use your existing hedphones that don't have any controls, the new iPod shuffle will work EXACTLY like the previous model. Move the on switch to the shuffle position, and it will begin play of all of your songs in random order. So nothing is lost.

If you want the added functionality you can use the new earbuds that come with it, or you can use any of the at least 15 different 3rd party models that do have the button functionality built in that are ALREADY out there. Yes the ones that were long ago developed to do things like answer the iPhone, or control function on the iTouch will work fine here. They come in various sound qualities, in ear, over ear, bud, headphone, etc. and there in line controlsd preform the same functions.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

Did anybody read the product infoon Appl's website? If you use your existing hedphones that don't have any controls, the new iPod shuffle will work EXACTLY like the previous model. Move the on switch to the shuffle position, and it will begin play of all of your songs in random order. So nothing is lost.

???

Were you able to control the volume with the previous model? Were you able to skip a track you decided you didn't want to hear, or to hear a favorite one again?

"The new iPod shuffle will work EXACTLY like the previous model."

Are you sure about that?
  • Reply 39 of 102
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Surely the next logical step is to make the Shuffle voice controlled?

That makes much more sense than this. Personally I though that was where the Shuffle was heading.

Sorry fanboys but you are going to have to call me a troll on this one. For most of the people on this forum it will work well, but for the 99% of people who own iPods and never head of Appleinsider or any other blog like it, they are going to be confused. I feel there will be one of three things that happen with this version; 1. There will be a lot of returns. 2. There will soon be a lot of unused 3rd gen Shuffles sitting in homes all over the word. 3. There will be a lot of new 3rd gen Shuffles sitt on Apple store shelves.

I'm not a hater, but I don't see how this product is going to serve the masses. Voice controls would have been much better.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    chibirchibir Posts: 11member
    (Quick disclaimer: I just woke up and didn't roam the various sites for updates and also didn't install the new iTunes yet, so I'm working blindly right now.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

iTunes doesn't change your song files. Where did you get that from? The VoiceOver audio recordings will be separate files internally linked via some database to the songs, I imagine.

Saw a 9to5 post linked from... Gizmodo or Boing Boing Gadgets:

Quote:

iTunes 8.1 will put some extra voice data in your music files (see below) to include the name of the band and title of the song. While this will be relatively small in size, the space changes will take up more space than before, thus growing the size of your library.

Though I of course don't know how true that info is, but it was at the time the most definite statement in that area, so I assumed the worst. If it's true that iTunes only generates "thumbnail" files, so to speak, then that'd be mighty fine for me. But until I see that confirmed somewhere, I won't hit the "Let VoiceOver loose on my library" button