Apple details new Voice Over controls for iPod shuffle

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

Did anybody read the product infoon Appl's website

If they had actually read the information or watched the demo, these threads would be half the size.

Leave it to humans to take sound bites and base decisions on them - without truly understanding it.

I think that the controls on the 2G Shuffle were frustrating. I was using my friends and I found myself clicking next instead of back, or turning it up when I wanted to turn it down.

I think they realized that people just want to press play and let it run - they don't need to focus on controls b/c people won't use much more than one button.

People that are complaining about having to press multiple times are just complaining at the thought of doing it (obviously because they have yet to do it)

The ONLY thing I agree with some of them on is using THEIR 3rd party headphones, and not having the controls available. Thats they only viable reason to hate it now. for them, there is no alternative as of yet. But I haven't seen them in the stores yet (haven't looked either) so I'm not sure how many people already have them. Maybe Apple DOES have an adapter that will be out very soon, probably before most will even get the new shuffle (you know, not everyone goes to a new movie thursday night at 11:59).
  • Reply 42 of 102
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChibiR View Post

But until I see that confirmed somewhere, I won't hit the "Let VoiceOver loose on my library" button

Think the new Nano - the ease of access functions work similarly
  • Reply 43 of 102
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Sure are a lot of people upset over this. I have to admit I'm a little surprised.

For my own part, it seemed like a very interesting attempt to allow the user to get some song info from a screen-less device. I didn't much see the point, except that the notion you can actually access different playlists is pretty cool. But if it's too complicated for you, fine. Use it like a shuffle. The complicated stuff is if you want the higher level info. Even then, it doesn't look especially complicated from the video Apple posted.

And to the one poster who talked about giving one to his dad: See, this is why your parents always liked your big brother better. He probably them your dad a nano
  • Reply 44 of 102
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    VoiceOver would have been a great addition to the Shuffle but as a replacement for traditional controls this products's not for me.

VoiceOver will sound pretty damn ropey unless you run Leopard (and although I don't have the stats to back this up - I suspect the vast majority of Shuffle users have Windows).

Presumably VoiceOver takes up storage space as each track will need a clip recording and also the syncing time will be increased while iTunes talks to the OS to generate the voice over. These aren't massive issues but I couldn't be bother to learn the controls lose the storage space or wait for the sync. This simply isn't making life easier.

All that said VoiceOver is a nice idea and I'm sure they'll be a demand for it higher up the iPod food-chain.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    Ok I hear all kinds of people complaining about the new Shuffle UI (or lack of). So here are my 2 cents.

A typical Shuffle user puts a bunch of music on it and press Play and then sometimes press Pause. That's it. If you are a power user and need playlist etc, you are not the target user.

Now Apple looked at this and said: how can we make the Shuffle smaller and cost less to make (to make more profit). Solution: remove the buttons.

They could've stop there and give users the same functionality without the buttons on teh Shuffle. Meaning Play, Pause/Stop, Skip/Back, Fast Forward, Rewind. But they gave more: VoiceOver + Playlists.

Also people who are working out or jogging, love the tiny buttons on the earbuds. I own an iPhone and I use the button of my V-Moda earbud much more than I thought I would when listening to music.

My 2 cents
  • Reply 46 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

VoiceOver would have been a great addition to the Shuffle but as a replacement for traditional controls this products's not for me.

VoiceOver will sound pretty damn ropey unless you run Leopard (and although I don't have the stats to back this up - I suspect the vast majority of Shuffle users have Windows).

Presumably VoiceOver takes up storage space as each track will need a clip recording and also the syncing time will be increased while iTunes talks to the OS to generate the voice over. These aren't massive issues but I couldn't be bother to learn the controls lose the storage space or wait for the sync. This simply isn't making life easier.

All that said VoiceOver is a nice idea and I'm sure they'll be a demand for it higher up the iPod food-chain.

Did you see the new DJ feature in iTunes?

I can just imagine that stupid robotic voice saying "Now spinning- Push, Push, in the Bush"!

Insane!!
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

People who buy Apple should be expected to only use what Apple allows them too - when has that changed?

It changed at about the time the Apple ][ was eclipsed by the Macintosh.

Back on topic, my gut reaction is that these controls seem like a step backwards in terms of intuitiveness. It seems to be more complicated to do most of the same things as you could do with the previous generation, and therefore it's more complicated than it needs to be.

On the other hand, I've never personally tried any of these minimalist headset remotes (various other vendors offered their own permutations on the concept) and so I'll reserve final judgement until I've had a chance to do so. But since my current gear still works just fine, and I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade based on what I've seen so far, it may be quite some time before I allow myself a chance to try it out.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It seems like most people do use stock earbuds though. I wonder if that consideration would even come up any time before the earbuds die or break.

But what about listening in the car, or hooked up to a stereo? I rarely ever listen on headphones.

This seems like a terrible idea, particularly since there are less buttons now so controlling it is more arcane and less intuitive, not to mention the lack of flexibility with headphones.

The addition of playlist support is nice, and it's always good to have more space. But overall, this seems like a worse model than previous generations (including the first one), and way way overpriced considering you can get an mp3 player with 4 gigs and a small screen for under $25.

Apple needs to let go of their "small" fetish, it has always been small enough.

Cliche or not, I'd have to agree with "epic fail". This arguably has the worst product design Apple has put out in a long time. Just update the last model to 4 gigs and be done with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

Did anybody read the product infoon Appl's website? If you use your existing hedphones that don't have any controls, the new iPod shuffle will work EXACTLY like the previous model. Move the on switch to the shuffle position, and it will begin play of all of your songs in random order. So nothing is lost.

The previous model let you fast forward and rewind, and change volume. How is that done without controls?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GlutenBoy View Post

Now Apple looked at this and said: how can we make the Shuffle smaller and cost less to make (to make more profit).

It's hard to be swayed by an argument based on cost when they raised the price.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    Firstly: it's an iPod Shuffle. If you're buying one you are, by very definition, relinquishing absolute control of the order of the songs that you listen to.

Secondly: don't you see that Apple is gradually migrating to an all-but-invisible iPod? By refining the controls in this way and removing the buttons from the device they're moving us closer to the world where the device is small enough to almost not exist; you'll basically have a set of headphones with a nub on the end which doesn't even unplug. Welcome to the iPod Earbud. Perhaps there won't even be a small nodule - the smarts will be embedded in the wasted space in the earbuds. Sounds daft? Give it two years (and in the mean time open up your iPhone to see how efficiently the use the space).

It will weigh almost nothing, it will charge and sync god knows how (inductive + wi-fi?), and it will be the first of its kind. And you will already know how to use it. And it will sell like hot cakes and you know it.

Or ... you could just keep complaining about the new Shuffle and go buy a Creative. Do they still even make mp3 players? I dunno ... nobody seems to talk about them much any more. ;-)
  • Reply 50 of 102
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Watched the video... was there something small she was selling? If so, I'll buy it! What a honey!
  • Reply 51 of 102
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

ABSTER2CORE, Adjei1, and CJD21112

Now that is one of the nicest things you have ever done, i.e., to include me in such intelligent company.

Thank you,

Abster2core.
  • Reply 52 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

But what about listening in the car, or hooked up to a stereo? I rarely ever listen on headphones.

Um. You're buying an iPod shuffle to play in the car? Epic fail.

Quote:

... considering you can get an mp3 player with 4 gigs and a small screen for under $25.

And the interface on that mp3 player won't be absolutely heinous? Right.

Quote:

Apple needs to let go of their "small" fetish, it has always been small enough.

See my previous post, above. Look forward. Think Different.

Quote:

Just update the last model to 4 gigs and be done with it.

Let's leave the "incrementally upgrade the previous model and hope people will buy it" sales model to Microsoft, shall we? They seem to be doing rather well from it.

Oh, wait...
  • Reply 53 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Now that is one of the nicest things you have ever done, i.e., to include me in such intelligent company.

Thank you,

Abster2core.

I'm sorry I forgot to add the period at the end of your name.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    I like that they've redesigned the headphones switches as I've gone through 3 pairs of iphone headphones cuz dust or (whatever) gets into it and the Mic and switches stop working.

The $70 dollar upgrade (99->169 Canadian) to a an 8GB nano seems to be the better route. You get actual switches on the device, FAST scrolling through songs, double the memory. I'd think this size factor satisfies runners, etc as well?

... and why couldn't Apple add Voice Over to this line?...
  • Reply 55 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen729w View Post

Firstly: it's an iPod Shuffle. If you're buying one you are, by very definition, relinquishing absolute control of the order of the songs that you listen to.

Secondly: don't you see that Apple is gradually migrating to an all-but-invisible iPod? By refining the controls in this way and removing the buttons from the device they're moving us closer to the world where the device is small enough to almost not exist; you'll basically have a set of headphones with a nub on the end which doesn't even unplug. Welcome to the iPod Earbud. Perhaps there won't even be a small nodule - the smarts will be embedded in the wasted space in the earbuds. Sounds daft? Give it two years (and in the mean time open up your iPhone to see how efficiently the use the space).

This reads like you already have one embedded in the cortex of your brain.
  • Reply 56 of 102
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hmmm, time to get my ear-canals upgraded in order to use the shuffle's controls.

(Stock earbuds don't fit properly in my ears)
  • Reply 57 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

I like that they've redesigned the headphones switches as I've gone through 3 pairs of iphone headphones cuz dust or (whatever) gets into it and the Mic and switches stop working.

The $70 dollar upgrade (99->169 Canadian) to a an 8GB nano seems to be the better route. You get actual switches on the device, FAST scrolling through songs, double the memory. I'd think this size factor satisfies runners, etc as well?

... and why couldn't Apple add Voice Over to this line?...

Now that is totally sensible. Leave the shuffle as is- except upgrade the sound and lossless capability. Add all this other nonsense to the Nano.
  • Reply 58 of 102
    Honestly... it keeps amazing me how so many people miss the point whenever Apple releases something new.

Someone already pointed this out above, but I feel it needs to be stressed: this is an iPod Shuffle, everyone! It's meant to be switched on and off, basically. Either you're listening to it (and it shuffles whatever music you have there) or you're not. Period. Anything besides that is to be taken as mere interesting extras - and they are interesting! Come on, you have an incredibly tiny little thing that holds 4Gb worth of music, lets you shuffle it and, in addition, even speaks to you and allows you to play around with playlists - something way beyond the scope of such a device!

If your interest is having a so-called "real" iPod, that lets you do everything you can dream of doing with a portable music player (even play games!), then you want a Nano, Classic or Touch. Not this! This is for joggers, gym enthusiasts and so on... and they will all appreciate what it can do in such a simple an unobstrusive way (yes, controls on the actual headphone are way more practical than ones in the actual device - again, for those to which this product's aimed at).
  • Reply 59 of 102
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Surely the next logical step is to make the Shuffle voice controlled?

As long as you're willing to wait till the next time you plug your Shuffle into your computer for it to process the commands.
  • Reply 60 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DyingSun View Post

Honestly... it keeps amazing me how so many people miss the point whenever Apple releases something new.

Someone already pointed this out above, but I feel it needs to be stressed: this is an iPod Shuffle, everyone! It's meant to be switched on and off, basically. Either you're listening to it (and it shuffles whatever music you have there) or you're not. Period. Anything besides that is to be taken as mere interesting extras - and they are interesting! Come on, you have an incredibly tiny little thing that holds 4Gb worth of music, lets you shuffle it and, in addition, even speaks to you and allows you to play around with playlists - something way beyond the scope of such a device!

If your interest is having a so-called "real" iPod, that lets you do everything you can dream of doing with a portable music player (even play games!), then you want a Nano, Classic or Touch. Not this! This is for joggers, gym enthusiasts and so on... and they will all appreciate what it can do in such a simple an unobstrusive way (yes, controls on the actual headphone are way more practical than ones in the actual device - again, for those to which this product's aimed at).

Apple took something that was so simplified and now made it so complex. What are we missing?

How exactly are controls on headphones easier for bikers, rowers, etc, etc?? Your hand is closer to your hip than your neck.