Apple exploring Magic Wand controller for next-gen Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1389257]This is just a patent filing. The result will probably be very different and there is no reason to suspect that Apple would remove the other input methods for text if they were to include a Wii-like motion.

I would like to think so but seeing their new shuffle makes me think twice!
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

Selecting characters for text entry would be a pain in the ass.

Hopefully, they left you use a bluetooth keyboard also.

I'm gladding they are working on the Apple TV.

Please add Safari and Hulu!

Actually, scratch the bluetooth keyboard. We just need a dedicated touchscreen remote.

It's great that the touch and iphone can be used, but if it's connected to my Tv, I need a dedicated remote.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Apple sure spends a lot of time on the ancillary items.

The raison d'etre of the Apple TV is media playback. I don't want gyro features in the remote because they won't translate into something like a Harmony controller.

I've got to question why Apple would spend money in a way that I feel is frivolous yet the Apple TV cannot playback 1080p high complexity video.

I hope the remote is optional if offered. .
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

...I need a dedicated remote.

How funny would it be if the mystery device with the 10" screen turned out to be just that?
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Please God, no! Have you ever tried to use a Wiimote as a cursor? It's a terrible experience.

Yeah, no good for a virtual keyboard. Then again, the current keyboard isn't much good either.

Other than that, I do think that this form of movement could significantly simplify navigation of the AppleTV. It could do some great things, and would align with some of the rules we learn from the iPhone (eg: to scroll down a list, touch the remote select button and flick downwards)

Quote:

Please add Safari and Hulu!

I don't want to see them add Hulu. They can go a step better.

Take a Hulu TV show and give it away on the iTunes store - but add the same commercials as seen on Hulu (and prevent ad-skipping, like Hulu). Same goes for any network.

edit: Come on Disney/ABC - lead the way. Make your content available FTD ("free to download") with ads customised specifically to the viewer - so we can't skip the ads, but there aren't many ads, they're of interest, and they link to more information if requested.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I've got to question why Apple would spend money in a way that I feel is frivolous yet the Apple TV cannot playback 1080p high complexity video.

Yes, they have to add 1080p playback asap. Not for downloads, they can still be 720p - but to prepare for future needs and current home movie cameras.

As for the wand - I don't see it as frivolous at all. The current form of remote controls are the equivalent of a computer that uses arrow keys instead of a mouse to select content. Of course if that means you can't use a universal remote that's a great pity, no matter how much better the Apple remote is.

It would be amazing if they translated that kind of remote "wand" control to also control other devices in our entertainment system - but for that all content would have to be channeled through the AppleTV before it reached the screen (or be built into the screen), and the AppleTV would need an IR extender. A really different ball game.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I can't see running MacOS X with a wand remote (done it - you can get a driver for the Wii Remote and use it on your Mac - it is a bit painful), but it would make a fantastic Front Row/Apple TV interface device, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 28 of 49
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Any improvement over the horrible UI AppleTV uses now would be a blessing. I don't use the AppleTV as much as I would like simply because that interface is so clunky!

Agreed fix that first, forget the wand , and put my files at the top of each list.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Please God, no! Have you ever tried to use a Wiimote as a cursor? It's a terrible experience.

Agreed. It has always baffled me that Apple can be so bone headed about the AppleTV remote. They have the perfect interface sitting right in front of them: THE FREAKING CLICKWHEEL. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to throw my remote at my tivo because navigating menus is so damn slow, and entering text as well.

A clickwheel remote would address all of this/ ( of course entering text would still be more desirable via a keyboard, but I'm willing to accept this limitation since the click wheel would be 100 times faster than current methods )
  • Reply 30 of 49
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    They get a lot more Apple TV users using their wands if they'd start offering adult videos on iTunes.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Agreed. Creating a user profile on the Wii all via the WiiMote was probably the most maddening experience I've ever had with an electronic device.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Apple + Nintendo = god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 33 of 49
    So, 3 diodes on the front of the ATV?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animaniac View Post

How is it possible that the article makes no mention of Nintendo Wii and Wiimote?

Speaking of which, how does this not conflict with patents on the Wii remote?
  • Reply 35 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Once the market for media extenders finally get properly formed how do think the AppleTV will change to become Apple's fouth leg?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LemCen View Post

Apple + Nintendo = god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nintendo + Apple = Nipple

Apple + Nintendo = Appendo

Typically, you have to round up to infinity to equal God.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I hate the twitchy IR cursor on the Wii. It does the job, but annoys me. I'd prefer accelerometer control... except X-motion would logically be done by angling around the vertical axis, and that's the one kind of rotation an accelerometer can't detect. So... maybe multiple accelerometers at the two ends?
  • Reply 37 of 49
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    No way they'd be able to bring this to market in that form. Nintendo brought theirs to market and faced a shitstorm of lawsuits over the tech in it. I imagine everyone that sued nintendo+nintendo themselves would jump down apple's throat over this.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    How did you miss the "mention" in the first paragraph??!! And I quote...

"It would also unlock three-dimensional controls similar to those offered by Nintendo's Wii controller. "

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animaniac View Post

How is it possible that the article makes no mention of Nintendo Wii and Wiimote?

• Reply 39 of 49
    Didn't Windows develope something like this a few years ago? They mentioned it as part of their innovative thinking. It was used to control more than just a TV, but for the TV it worked the same.

It also controlled lights and stereos and such.
  • Reply 40 of 49

Based on the blueprint in the image, I would have to say that whatever they are cooking up is probably going to look like an AppleTV or TimeCapsule.

There is no indication of scale so it could be as small as the new nano or as large as a Mac Pro laid on it's side.

Whatever it is, it will be revolutionary!