Comments

• Reply 21 of 181
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    iPhone with Multifinder!
  • Reply 22 of 181
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Wow, I didn't see that coming (at least not this quickly).

They have to announce it in advance for developers to start updating their apps. Remember Apple announced iPhone 2.0 the same time last year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

WOOHOO

engage in wild speculation!

Here's some not-so-wild speculation -- GPS turn-by-turn

GPS turn-by-turn has nothing to do with the OS capabilities it is simply an app that can be developed by third party. I remember that there was a clause in the SDK agreement that prohibit turn-by-turn GPS apps but I am not sure if this still stand. I have read new that there are several third party apps under development.
  • Reply 23 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Now all the announcements can be made and rumors can be leaked.

Of course it's most likely Apple has had a few key developers in on the new OS also - in order that a few features can be demonstrated...I'm sure Apple will likely wow with what they have to show.

Funny how all the rumors about the Mar event all assumed hardware updates!
  • Reply 24 of 181
    I'm surprised they are branding it the "iPhone OS 3.0" when it also is on iPod's.

I think "Mobile OS X 3.0" would be more appropriate but doesn't roll off the tongue.

Speaking of iPod...$10 upgrade?

I also hope this relates to the 10" touch panels we have been hearing about.

I want a full size Document reader that works with my PDFs.

Push notification?

more Bluetooth profiles?

Tethering?

Copy-Paste?

Better organizing of Apps?
  • Reply 25 of 181
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I was asking a rhetorical question, it wasn't aimed at the article itself. Many people have been saying that the iPhone is growing stale and everyone else is catching up. My point essentially is Apple has not been sitting on its hands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know why you would ask or say that. The news is that there is a date for an event promoting the next version, not so much that they've been working on the next version.

• Reply 26 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Push notification?

more Bluetooth profiles?

Tethering?

Copy-Paste?

I'm hoping that Apple has been listening to complaints and looking at their customers outside the US and is going to throw MMS in with all of these.

It's been said many times before, the fact that the cheapest and oldest phone I could go out and buy now can do it but the iphone can't is just ridiculous.

Sure, people can reply and say it's a useless technology and that a lot of people don't use it (though just about everybody I know here in the UK does), but I'm the one still considering whether or not I want to get an iphone after 2 years and I'd like MMS quite a lot \
  • Reply 27 of 181
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I know this was the case in the past but the iPhone OS software is going to be backwards compatible with the current iphone right? Please, please!
  • Reply 28 of 181
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Last WWDC they officially named it iPhone OS, even though it is also on the iPod.

Quote:

I'm surprised they are branding it the "iPhone OS 3.0" when it also is on iPod's. I think "Mobile OS X 3.0" would be more appropriate but doesn't roll off the tongue.

• Reply 29 of 181
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Bummer, I wanted to see Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 30 of 181
    ugh. I just bought an ipod touch yesterday. Should I return? Any thoughts?
  • Reply 31 of 181
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

All Apple has to do is implement the new functionality of HTML 5 and allow web apps to have local access to system resources and that's pretty much most the advantages of Palm Pre.

Full native multitasking. Web apps never really took off for the iphone. Iphone Web apps made people want to barf.
  • Reply 32 of 181
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Time for Microsoft and Palm to start pooping their pants. Apple's is about to take the iPhone OS to the next level.

The preview might also provide additional insight into Mac OS X Snow Leopard!
  • Reply 33 of 181
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Seriously - I pray for copy/paste ONLY because it will make everyone shutup about not having it. I've had the iPhone since day 1 almost two years ago and found myself wanting copy/paste MAYBE two or three times.
  • Reply 34 of 181
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

WOOHOO

engage in wild speculation!

Here's some not-so-wild speculation -- GPS turn-by-turn

If it was as good as TomTom and relatively cheap, that would make my year. I could finally get rid of my Windows Mobile PDA.
  • Reply 35 of 181
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timewarp424 View Post

ugh. I just bought an ipod touch yesterday. Should I return? Any thoughts?

At worst, it will cost you $10 to upgrade the OS. I don't see a new iPod touch coming out anytime soon.
  • Reply 36 of 181
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I was asking a rhetorical question, it wasn't aimed at the article itself. Many people have been saying that the iPhone is growing stale and everyone else is catching up. My point essentially is Apple has not been sitting on its hands.

Things do change pretty quickly, but I do agree that a lot of those expectations are unrealistic.
  • Reply 37 of 181
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Copy and Paste would be nice but i rather them to focus on other stuff, i mean sure the iphone is missing a lot of common things but at least Safari has is not chocking when browsing the web something others have been try to do for years and are still working on it with no luck lol.
  • Reply 38 of 181
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FusionFox View Post

I'm hoping that Apple has been listening to complaints and looking at their customers outside the US and is going to throw MMS in with all of these.

I agree. I'm not gonna complain about it, since the iPhone is great in many other ways, but I'd definitely like to see MMS. I find this missing feature to be more of an inconvenience than copy/paste.
  • Reply 39 of 181
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

They aren't Microsoft or Palm you know - they UPDATE their stuff!

i'm 99% sure that the push technology in this is licensed from Microsoft. Apple already licenses ActiveSync from MS for the MS Exchange integration. Last month Google licensed it as well for their app store and a lot of other uses other than email. I bet Apple did the same.
  • Reply 40 of 181
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

They aren't Microsoft or Palm you know - they UPDATE their stuff!

Quote:

I'm surprised they are branding it the "iPhone OS 3.0" when it also is on iPod's.

I think "Mobile OS X 3.0" would be more appropriate but doesn't roll off the tongue.

Speaking of iPod...$10 upgrade?

I also hope this relates to the 10" touch panels we have been hearing about.

I want a full size Document reader that works with my PDFs.

Push notification?

more Bluetooth profiles?

Tethering?

Copy-Paste?

the new iphone/touch hardware is supposed to be a quad core CPU and better 3d graphics. there is a rumor of a new premium app store with $20 games and EA being an early partner.

In the next few years Apple is going to wipe the floor with almost every handheld gadget maker out there