Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 181
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

At worst, it will cost you $10 to upgrade the OS. I don't see a new iPod touch coming out anytime soon.

I don't see the operating system update coming out any time soon either. A buyer of a Touch today would get a few months use out of it before an update is available.

I wouldn't expect a new Touch until the next mega iPod event in the August-October time frame.
  • Reply 42 of 181
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Full native multitasking. Web apps never really took off for the iphone. Iphone Web apps made people want to barf.

Who says it doesn't have native multi-tasking now? Its OS X afterall.
  • Reply 43 of 181
    Quote:

making it likely that it will also add Street View

Don't we already HAVE street view?? I'm confused
  • Reply 44 of 181
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Plus copy and paste!

I would be kinda cool if Apple is able to upstage Palm's WebOS and come out with something better. That would take the wind out of Palm's sails. And it would make McNamee shut up.

Have you seen WebOS? It won't take much to upstage what looks like 'Mobile HyperCard' (as much as I loved HyperCard.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXS3SQauwPE
  • Reply 45 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Bummer, I wanted to see Snow Leopard.

Yeah, me too, but I'll take iPhone 3.0 just the same so not a total bummer for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

Don't we already HAVE street view?? I'm confused

Yeah, me too
  • Reply 46 of 181
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Who says it doesn't have native multi-tasking now? Its OS X afterall.

I too am certain that iPhone OS has multi-tasking right now, but app developers aren't allowed to use it.

Other than saving the state of an app, I don't remember all the reasons why people said it's helpful for a phone, though things like the advanced push system wouldn't be as important.
  • Reply 47 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Seriously - I pray for copy/paste ONLY because it will make everyone shutup about not having it. I've had the iPhone since day 1 almost two years ago and found myself wanting copy/paste MAYBE two or three times.

As opposed to me, who needs it almost daily.
  • Reply 48 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FusionFox View Post

I'm hoping that Apple has been listening to complaints and looking at their customers outside the US and is going to throw MMS in with all of these.

\

Completely agreed. Although MMS may seem irrelevant, it is a huge issue that many consumers miss, myself included. Some people even forego an iPhone BECAUSE it is missing basic features like this.

I suppose in Apple's perfect universe, everyone would have an iPhone, or at least a device that handles photos in a compatible way. But they don't, and that is why MMS is so important: other people's phones use MMS and DO NOT have fancy email. So, if we are to be able to communicate with each other and share photos, we need to be able to speak a common language, and right now the iPhone is doing the equivalent of speaking some bizarre dialect of French in an English speaking world. In the Apple view, it is just obviosuly sooooo supperior, everyone should switch. But that attitude doesn't address or solve the actual problem.

Here is how it plays out for me all the time: friend or family member X wants to send me a picture of their cute kid / vacation / dog / cat / whatever. They snap it on their phone and send it to my phone number. Guess what? On 99% plus of the phones out there, that message goes out as MMS. For me that means this: I will not get to see it through my photo application, save it in my photo roll, etc. Instead, I will get some funky notification from AT&T telling me to go to their web site to look at a tiny, scaled down version of the picture that I can't see in a better resolution and that I can't save. Frankly speaking, I am tired of getting these text messages to go see a picture that someone sent me mobil to mobil; i'd rather just get the picture. This isn't a hard technology problem - there is some weird resistance at Apple, I think.

By the way, guess what other conspicuous feature absence becomes blatantly apparent when you get these MMS texts from AT&T? You guessed it: the password and ID they send for their picture forwarding site are long strings of random characters - very hard to remember. Sure would be nice to be able to, oh, say... copy and paste.
  • Reply 49 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... making it likely that it will also add Street View, a feature Google debuted in showing off the mapping capabilities of its Android platform.

Isn't this here already? You guys don't use maps on iPhone?
  • Reply 50 of 181
    sshssh Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday announced plans to hold a special media event for journalists on its Cuper...making it likely that it will also add Street View, a feature Google debuted in showing off the mapping capabilities of its Android platform.

Dunno about you, by my iPhone's Google Maps has had Street View for a while!
  • Reply 51 of 181
    sshssh Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

Isn't this here already? You guys don't use maps on iPhone?

Sorry, BlackPepper! I searched right before I built that post, but we were writing at about the same time...
  • Reply 52 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Copy and Paste would be nice but i rather them to focus on other stuff, i mean sure the iphone is missing a lot of common things but at least Safari has is not chocking when browsing the web something others have been try to do for years and are still working on it with no luck lol.

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. It's a bit like buying a Lexus with manual windows. Yes, it's just an annoyance... but why would the manufacturer bring the car to market with such an obvious shortcoming, and then persist in it for multiple versions and product upgrades? It just makes no sense.
  • Reply 53 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssh View Post

Sorry, BlackPepper! I searched right before I built that post, but we were writing at about the same time...

I was still the first to post about it, so :-P
  • Reply 54 of 181
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I was asking a rhetorical question, it wasn't aimed at the article itself. Many people have been saying that the iPhone is growing stale and everyone else is catching up. My point essentially is Apple has not been sitting on its hands.

As long as the iPhone remains stuck with AT&T and its bad connections it's gets staler by the day. The real growth is with the Touch. Free up the iPhone now.
  • Reply 55 of 181
    "complaints"

"missing functions"

It is interesting to note that there are millions of iPhone owners who bought the devices knowing their abilities; there are also some who bought before thinking. I've had one since last year and have no complaints; there are some functions I would like to see added, but I am more than happy with my iPhone because it does what I thought it would do.

Apple made a device that may or may not be for some people. Often it is the people the device was not made for that are the loudest about attacking it. Brings back memories of the MacBook Air complainers who never actually owned it yet wasted many hours bashing it while the owners were getting work done on them.

Apple made a function set. If you aren't happy with it, don't buy it and give Apple feedback so they might incorporate the functions in a future model.
  • Reply 56 of 181
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssh View Post

Dunno about you, by my iPhone's Google Maps has had Street View for a while!

My iPhone software is up to date, but I am yet to figure out how to use street view. Satellite images works fine, but I can't figure out street view - what am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 57 of 181
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:

My iPhone software is up to date, but I am yet to figure out how to use street view. Satellite images works fine, but I can't figure out street view - what am I doing wrong?

When you drop a pin or do a search, click the little icon (orange or red) next to the name

• Reply 58 of 181
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    voice dialing PLEASE PLEASE
  • Reply 59 of 181
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

I agree. I'm not gonna complain about it, since the iPhone is great in many other ways, but I'd definitely like to see MMS. I find this missing feature to be more of an inconvenience than copy/paste.

I agree, I rarely need MMS, but just ocasionally I want to send someone with a 'normal' phone a picture. It's hardly that important, but I'd like it there.
  • Reply 60 of 181
    My wish list:

-copy/paste

-bluetooth options

-multi tasking, background apps

-more GPS functions (live search, turn by turn, etc.)

-MMS

-Push Gmail