Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event

Comments

• Reply 61 of 181
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

When you drop a pin or do a search, click the little icon (orange or red) next to the name

ahhh...thanks!
  • Reply 62 of 181
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The success of the iPhone is because of AT&T. Left to Verizon there never would have been an iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

As long as the iPhone remains stuck with AT&T and its bad connections it's gets staler by the day. The real growth is with the Touch. Free up the iPhone now.

• Reply 63 of 181
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    New theory by someone over at 9to5 mac....

Someone thinks that the new iphone 3.0 SDK will allow apps to be resolution independent. And that in turn would suggest that more devices with different dimensions than the regular iphone are soon to follow.

Oooohhhh........Aahhhhhhhhh!!
  • Reply 64 of 181
    ttupperttupper Posts: 39member
    123 delete me
  • Reply 65 of 181
    Its likely a philosophical difference. Apple is well known to not support technology it feels is old or irrelevant. Apple feels MMS is an inferior technology to email and does not want to support it. Newer phones are gaining email, eventually given time MMS will be phased out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Completely agreed. Although MMS may seem irrelevant, it is a huge issue that many consumers miss, myself included. Some people even forego an iPhone BECAUSE it is missing basic features like this.

This isn't a hard technology problem - there is some weird resistance at Apple, I think.

• Reply 66 of 181
    You don't have to be an Apple fan to do some research and look at the pros and cons of a product before you purchase it. I would call that smart shopping.

If you purchase a product that does not perform a function that it was never promised to perform and you becomes angry. Its your fault for not doing the proper research. That has nothing to do with being a fan, that simple common sense.

Quote:

May I just say that this is a silly attitude? Here is a blunt point: Apple has no right, and would be unwise in doing so... to expect the majority of its consumers to be rabid fan-boys willing to overlook obvious problems because they are so enamored with Steve Jobs' brilliance. That's a point Steve himself seems to get, so it is amazing to me that fans such as yourself do not.

Doesn't seem quite so clever now, eh?

• Reply 67 of 181
    Ill be posting all live blogging and video streaming sites about the iPhone 3.0 OS, you can see now already the real time news tweets about iPhone 3.0

Here:

http://tinyurl.com/d9htom
  • Reply 68 of 181
    To me the fact that Apple has decided to jump to three instead of some sort of 2.X tells me that they are doing a complete overhaul to the OS, like when it first went to 2.0.

If Apple by now has not added copy/paste or MMS, I don't think they plan to at all. Especially since now that the App store is open, third parties are doing things like that. I might be wrong, and have seen it in Cydia, but I'm pretty sure I saw a MMS application in the App store. It would be nice to have them, but I am not holding my breath.

I will be happy with whatever Apple decides to add, I am happy with my iPhone as it is, it is imperfect, but it could be better. I read somewhere before that Adobe was working with Apple to bring Flash to the phone, that would be extremely helpful to browse the "real" internet. Another function that would be nice: landscape SMS. If I can use the landscape keyboard in the browser, it is frustrating to know I can't on SMS.
  • Reply 69 of 181
    Give me:
    1. Picture Messages

2. A Horizontal Keyboard when texting

3. GPS turn by turn w/ VOICE directions (and the ability to turn this on/off easily)

4. Built-in Voice Dialing

5. A light when I have a missed call (hardware but im putting it here anyways)

6. COPY & PASTE

7. A better looking dock at the bottom (that resembles Leopard)

8. When i go to the app store, an option to "Install in the background" instead of taking me back to the home screen and making me re-launch the app store when i want to install more apps

Anything less would be uncivilized.
  • Reply 70 of 181
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

I agree. I'm not gonna complain about it, since the iPhone is great in many other ways, but I'd definitely like to see MMS. I find this missing feature to be more of an inconvenience than copy/paste.

MMS /and/ delivery notifications for SMS please! Actually, I can live without mms, but hacking the latter is a right pain.
  • Reply 71 of 181
    123 delete me
  • Reply 72 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The two features I want to get is Home Screen folders and the ability to organize from with iTunes. I fully expect to get the first one.

One reason I don't load and reuse as many App Store apps a I want is the navigation is getting out of hand. There are just too many items to organize on the pages. dragging one app at a time to put all my games on the last page is tedious. And once they are setup going through the pages can be rough. I want a folder on the Home Screen that once clicked keeps the bottom row the same and displays the items in that folder; the upper left icon displaying Apple's back arrow for moving up a hierarchy with the back arrow named the same as the folder you just clicked. This would allow for folder within folders but you won't get lost because clicking the physical Home button will bring back out, like it sends you to the first page with the current OS build.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

All Apple has to do is implement the new functionality of HTML 5 and allow web apps to have local access to system resources and that's pretty much most the advantages of Palm Pre.

I don't expect, or want, 3rd-party app multitasking in a cellphone that already gets a battery drain too quickly from my excessive daily use. I do like your idea that Apple could just update WebKit to a newer version (which is expected), probably to a 100/100 score on Acid3, though still not passing due to speed issues, and allow for HTML5 localizing like the Pre with it's weak 3rd-party multitasking claims.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Wouldn't rolling out the 3.0 SDK to devs tip their hand on the next iPhone's updates?

Yes, but it doesn't matter. People will be coming off their current iPhone contracts and some may be coming off contracts with other phones wondering if they should get the new iPhone. The other competitors can't compete with iPhone OS X at this time. Palm is making some claims but their OS is completely untested in the real world. Look at the work the iPhone needed and still needs after 2 years of real world use, and that came with the same Mac OS base that we're use to and all the NeXT development before that. Either Palm is using another OS base or they are going to have to start more simple to reduce fatal SW flaws than they are letting on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Bummer, I wanted to see Snow Leopard.

I think this ne OS will be SL based.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Full native multitasking. Web apps never really took off for the iphone. Iphone Web apps made people want to barf.

There were so many web apps for the iPhone that specially formated pages and special icons were including just for the iPhone. I have a feeling that no matter how fast the CPU, how much RAM is included or how long the battery could possibly last for a cellphone that Apple will not allow for uncontrolled 3rd-party SDK multitasking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i'm 99% sure that the push technology in this is licensed from Microsoft. Apple already licenses ActiveSync from MS for the MS Exchange integration. Last month Google licensed it as well for their app store and a lot of other uses other than email. I bet Apple did the same.

I don't think so, unless MS has patents for a notification server that Apple couldn't bypass. I believe that only ActiveSync is licensed and that is for connections with Exchange servers.
  • Reply 73 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You don't have to be an Apple fan to do some research and look at the pros and cons of a product before you purchase it. I would call that smart shopping.

If you purchase a product that does not perform a function that it was never promised to perform and you becomes angry. Its your fault for not doing the proper research. That has nothing to do with being a fan, that simple common sense.

No no no Tenobell don't you understand?

The correct procedure for Apple products is to immediately fall in love with them and immediately go ahead with a purchase.

After you use the product you then find stuff you don't like about it and complain.

Didn't you get the memo?
  • Reply 74 of 181
    123 delete me
  • Reply 75 of 181
    123 delete me
  • Reply 76 of 181
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    No MMS please Apple, the world is better off without it.
  • Reply 77 of 181
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Apple needs to fix this because it will assist them in selling their devices.

who said they need assistance?? lol
  • Reply 78 of 181
    Yep,

I would like

- calendar to work with iCal meeting e-mails so one can confirm and invite too meetings thru iPhone without computer

- tethering is indeed wanted. I love my NetShare....

- sync media thru WiFi

- iPod DJ

- Wide screen e-mail

- some new insights iPhone OS and Snow Leopard Server! I don't want to have to go for Microsoft for inhouse push, mail, calendar and remote wipe. And better wiki for iPhone!

Yep - some smaller ones...
  • Reply 79 of 181
    Quote:

That's an interesting observation... but I bet you didn't know that a lot of the apps being sold in the app store ARE web apps.

Don't looks so incredulous.

The iPhone SDK lets you through a webView on a pane and point that at resources either locally or on the network. It is remarkably easy to build an app this way.

Please. Well, ok sure.

I guess they are still being made even now out of necessity. And the majority of the pre-existing one must have been thrown into the app store after its debut.

But really.....how many of the 25,000 or so of the applications in the store now are web apps?
  • Reply 80 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

No MMS please Apple, the world is better off without it.

Looking to get trummeled* today?

* pummeled by trolls