Comments

• Reply 81 of 181
    ttupperttupper Posts: 39member
    123 delete me
  • Reply 82 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

No no no Tenobell don't you understand?

The correct procedure for Apple products is to immediately fall in love with them and immediately go ahead with a purchase.

After you use the product you then find stuff you don't like about it and complain.

Didn't you get the memo?

And the follow-up memo:

"If you dislike Apple (or Steve Jobs or any Apple product) or have never purchased any of its products or services, please take the time to vent in every forum as you would not with every other product/service that you equally dislike or have never purchased."

PS: As a shareholder, gotta love how Apple is pulling the rug from under the feet of its cell-phone competition once again. Reminds me of how competitors to the iPod were often left eating dust......
  • Reply 83 of 181
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Right on schedule: 2.0 was previewed March 6 last year.

Special Event on St. Patrick's Day ? Nobody at Murphy Mac will be sober enough to absorb the news until Friday.
  • Reply 84 of 181
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    There isn't any clear evidence that MMS is significantly effecting iPhone sales. Or any clear evidence that any phone sells better because of MMS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Look, it's really very simple: Apple needs to fix this because it will assist them in selling their devices. That's not a hard concept, is it?.

• Reply 85 of 181
    Quote:

how many of the 25,000 or so of the applications in the store now are web apps?

When you build a web app and then wrap and integrate it using the developer SDK, it is virtually indistinguishable from any other application. It is very very easy to do so, I might add. I think Apple did a fantabulous job with their SDK and the way the integrated web so well into it. they deserve a lot of praise for it - it is remarkable.
  • Reply 86 of 181
    jeyo9jeyo9 Posts: 3member
    Isn't it annoying, at least sometimes, to answer with the sliding button? This phone is a marvel but some things should be more flexible. Also:

- Horizontal keyboard

- Global search

- Bluetooth file transfer

- Flash

Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?
  • Reply 87 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There isn't any clear evidence that MMS is significantly effecting iPhone sales. Or any clear evidence that any phone sells better because of MMS.

Anecdotally I know of a handful of friends who haven't purchased iPhones citing some of these obvious misses as factors.

Again, why ignore something so trivial (from a technology perspective) if it might serve to enhance sales?
  • Reply 88 of 181
    Quote:

But really.....how many of the 25,000 or so of the applications in the store now are web apps?

Good question. I'd like to know too. The ones I use more and more often (e.g., bloomberg, twc, wikipanion) do not seem to be.
  • Reply 89 of 181
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. It's a bit like buying a Lexus with manual windows. Yes, it's just an annoyance... but why would the manufacturer bring the car to market with such an obvious shortcoming, and then persist in it for multiple versions and product upgrades? It just makes no sense.

Contrary to belief here most users don't go out buying phones looking for copy and paste function. I've shown my iPhone to many people and it's too advanced for them, they don't expect copy and paste from phones like many here believe. The only big omissions Apple left to me would be video recording and MMS, these are things the majority of people expect from phones now. Everything else is extra.
  • Reply 90 of 181
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. ...

How is it baffling?

The iPhone has no document editing (other than short sticky notes) and no file system. You might argue that you'd *like* to have document editing or that you'd *like* to have copy and paste, but the absence of even a basic file system completely explains the absence of the copy and paste.

That little LED clock in your pen in 1982 is a "computer" but did it need copy and paste?

Your car has several computers in it, does it need copy and paste?

People need to get past the simplistic idea that all computers are just hardware that runs software, that any software they like should be load-able on any "computer" they see and that all "computers" are the same.

The very word "computer" hardly has any meaning anymore as it's become too generic. Saying every computer needs copy and paste is like saying every bread needs raisins. If I order a felafel and it has raisins in the wrap, I would not consider it a successful felafel.
  • Reply 91 of 181
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Here is the 2.0 press release from March 2008. The 3G iPhone hadn't been announced - so there's no mention of GPS.

So we'll know more on Tuesday than we know now, but probably not everything.
  • Reply 92 of 181
    Quote:

Again, why ignore something so trivial (from a technology perspective) if it might serve to enhance sales?

Why not. It adds to the elan of the product to leave a handful of people constantly whining about stuff like that in forums like this...... the susbtitution in sales enhancement comes from all the free attention the product gets that way!
  • Reply 93 of 181
    Quote:

Full native multitasking. Web apps never really took off for the iphone. Iphone Web apps made people want to barf.

just like to point out that everything you are saying here is basically just made up. Try to stick to the facts and drop the hyperbole.
  • Reply 94 of 181
    Adobe has said to be working on a flash for mobile devices. Adobe has reported it to be a difficult task. I doubt Apple is too worried about it. Apple, Google, Palm and others are progressing on with open source web technology that can replace many of flash functions.

I believe there are IM clients in the app store that use SMS and landscape keyboard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cenasmgame View Post

I read somewhere before that Adobe was working with Apple to bring Flash to the phone, that would be extremely helpful to browse the "real" internet. Another function that would be nice: landscape SMS. If I can use the landscape keyboard in the browser, it is frustrating to know I can't on SMS.

• Reply 95 of 181
    Quote:

May I just say that this is a silly attitude? Here is a blunt point: Apple has no right, and would be unwise in doing so... to expect the majority of its consumers to be rabid fan-boys willing to overlook obvious problems because they are so enamored with Steve Jobs' brilliance. That's a point Steve himself seems to get, so it is amazing to me that fans such as yourself do not.

What you are really saying is this: Apple did the right thing when it left out basic features, then ignored consumer sentiment... for those same features. When you say 'the device isn't for everyone', what you are actually saying is this: "Apple ignored an easily addressed market segment, and thereby lost sales." And all over some software issues that don't even represent difficult technical challenges.

Doesn't seem quite so clever now, eh?

I know who's being silly and it isn't the Bergermeister.

His post was reasonable and accurate, whereas yours mischaracterises what he said, puts words in his mouth and generally is pretty high-school kind of analysis IMO.

Apple makes consumer products, they don't "ignore consumer sentiment" at all, you are just wrong about that. They make choices about what to include or leave out of a product based on consumer feedback but also on a variety of other issues as well. That's just the way design is done.

You are the one who is just assuming that because they left out your favourite feature, that it was somehow done on purpose and in defiance of what the consumer really wants. I'd like to see you come up with any evidence to prove that assertion. The mere absence of the feature does not prove your interpretation of why it is absent you know.
  • Reply 96 of 181
    You can find people who find all types of fault with the iPhone and why they won't purchase one. I seriously doubt MMS in of itself is costing Apple any significant number of sales.

Quote:

Anecdotally I know of a handful of friends who haven't purchased iPhones citing some of these obvious misses as factors.

• Reply 97 of 181
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

just like to point out that everything you are saying here is basically just made up. Try to stick to the facts and drop the hyperbole.

Really. You saw the iphone's grand debut in 2007. You tell me what was the reaction of the crowd when Steve Jobs tried to push web apps. The crickets were so loud peoples' ear drums were starting to bleed.

Oh, and hyperbole is fun. Go read Barron's or hang out with Rupert Murdock or something if you don't like spirited commentary.
  • Reply 98 of 181
    kjacobikjacobi Posts: 15member
    Global Search

Copy / Paste

Unified inbox

MMS

Voice Dialing

Power Management Switch (BT/Wifi/GPS/Puse)
  • Reply 99 of 181
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Yep,

I would like

- iPod DJ

REMOTE App has DJ - with "request a song" and Voting

It's quite good actually
  • Reply 100 of 181
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. It's a bit like buying a Lexus with manual windows. Yes, it's just an annoyance... but why would the manufacturer bring the car to market with such an obvious shortcoming, and then persist in it for multiple versions and product upgrades? It just makes no sense.

And have you implemented a system-wide clipboard on a multi-touch mobile device? Has ANYONE else done this yet? Nope. It's not as "easy" as everyone seems to think. It has to be implemented in way that doesn't interfere with any current gestures and it needs to work the same way everywhere, in all applications, whether you're trying to select text in Safari or in an input field.

There are also security issues to overcome with having a cross-application pool of data, especially when those applications are sandboxed.