Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event

Comments

• Reply 101 of 181
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

3.0 is quite a big jump in terms of number as oppose to .something so does that mean this will come with a new iphone with new hw as well?

I imagine 3.0 will be released at the WWDC in June along with a next generation iPhone. This preview of 3.0 gives developers a chance to have apps ready by the time that happens. Free upgrade for iPhone users, paid upgrade for iPod touch users.
  • Reply 102 of 181
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

video calling

So you can not see the person you are talking to or they cannot see you or both? (since the camera is on the oppostite side of the phone from the screen)
  • Reply 103 of 181
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

And have you implemented a system-wide clipboard on a multi-touch mobile device? Has ANYONE else done this yet? Nope.

Yes. Apple did it with the Newton.
  • Reply 104 of 181
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Yes. Apple did it with the Newton.

The Newton wasn't "multi-touch"

Up to this point in time, all touch based devices have implemented the point and click paradigm from the desktop. The iPhone is the first platform to move away from that.
  • Reply 105 of 181
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    People were mostly disappointed because they wanted native app development. There isn't a problem with web apps in of themselves. The biggest problem with web app development for the iPhone is that it has no localization. Once that is solved many of the native apps would work fine as web apps.

In fact there is a big advantage in a developer making web apps. They only have to make one app and it works with any phone that can render full HTML, instead of having to develop and support multiple native apps on multiple mobile platforms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Really. You saw the iphone's grand debut in 2007. You tell me what was the reaction of the crowd when Steve Jobs tried to push web apps. The crickets were so loud peoples' ear drums were starting bleeding.

• Reply 106 of 181
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

Really. You saw the iphone's grand debut in 2007. You tell me what was the reaction of the crowd when Steve Jobs tried to push web apps. The crickets were so loud peoples' ear drums were starting bleeding.

Oh, and hyperbole is fun. Go read Barron's or hang out with Rupert Murdock or something if you don't like spirited commentary.

Okay to get specific you said:

Quote:

Web apps never really took off for the iphone.

This is quite the exaggeration given that they never had much of a chance. The native apps and the SDK were announced before more than a half dozen web apps had even made it out the door. After the SDK was available people switched to that for the most part and native apps are more "popular" as a solution, but there is nothing wrong with web apps either. many native apps in the app store today would be better if they were turned back into web apps. They would actually function better.

Your statement implied that there was a period of web app development but that they weren't well received or had some problem and thus ultimately failed. That's an exaggeration, and almost a complete mischaracterisation of what actually happened.

Quote:

Iphone Web apps made people want to barf.

This is so high-school it makes me want to puke.

Again, you imply here that web apps were "bad" or didn't work, or poorly received, when in fact there were hardly any made, and those that were made were exceedingly well received in general.

I think know what you were *trying* to say, but if you just throw around a lot of short, inaccurate hyperbolic statements intended to make you look tough more than they are intended to inform anyone of anything, you should expect a little criticism, and probably a lot of confusion in return.

Words actually, you know ... mean stuff.
  • Reply 107 of 181
    Too many people think that copy and paste is a trivial matter. It may seem like a simple task when you look at a stylus based device. I'm sure cut and paste is high on Steve's list, but he wants to deliver a product that people can use without studying how to do it. Apple is all about user interface, they always have been. When they come out with cut and paste rest assured that it will be a wonderful implementation, not a slipshod attempt. I have yet to hear a good way to implement cut and paste on the iPhone. Sure it would be easy enough to add a cntrl key to the keyboard, Then you could use cntrl-x and cntrl-v. Or how about Alt-F4? I am anxiously awaiting the Apple implementation fo copy and paste.
  • Reply 108 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I imagine 3.0 will be released at the WWDC in June along with a next generation iPhone. This preview of 3.0 gives developers a chance to have apps ready by the time that happens. Free upgrade for iPhone users, paid upgrade for iPod touch users.

Since the 3G iPhone is only a year old and uses the same operating HW as the original iPhone I suspect that if this update is available for the 3G iPhone thy it will also be available for the original iPhone, but for a fee did to the 2 year accounting model. Though not everyone bought their original iPhone immediately so I don't know they will handle that. Hopefully it will be free, but their is always the possibiltu that the new SL-based OS will require the new ARM paired with Nvidia's Tegra (worst case scenerio).
  • Reply 109 of 181
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Completely agreed. Although MMS may seem irrelevant, it is a huge issue that many consumers miss, myself included. Some people even forego an iPhone BECAUSE it is missing basic features like this.

I suppose in Apple's perfect universe, everyone would have an iPhone, or at least a device that handles photos in a compatible way. But they don't, and that is why MMS is so important: other people's phones use MMS and DO NOT have fancy email. So, if we are to be able to communicate with each other and share photos, we need to be able to speak a common language, and right now the iPhone is doing the equivalent of speaking some bizarre dialect of French in an English speaking world. In the Apple view, it is just obviosuly sooooo supperior, everyone should switch. But that attitude doesn't address or solve the actual problem.

Here is how it plays out for me all the time: friend or family member X wants to send me a picture of their cute kid / vacation / dog / cat / whatever. They snap it on their phone and send it to my phone number. Guess what? On 99% plus of the phones out there, that message goes out as MMS. For me that means this: I will not get to see it through my photo application, save it in my photo roll, etc. Instead, I will get some funky notification from AT&T telling me to go to their web site to look at a tiny, scaled down version of the picture that I can't see in a better resolution and that I can't save. Frankly speaking, I am tired of getting these text messages to go see a picture that someone sent me mobil to mobil; i'd rather just get the picture. This isn't a hard technology problem - there is some weird resistance at Apple, I think.

By the way, guess what other conspicuous feature absence becomes blatantly apparent when you get these MMS texts from AT&T? You guessed it: the password and ID they send for their picture forwarding site are long strings of random characters - very hard to remember. Sure would be nice to be able to, oh, say... copy and paste.

Your second post and all you can do is bullshit.

You want people to respect your opinion, then change the attitude and get your facts straight.

As for copy/paste, your knowledge of what this entails is zilch. If you think that this is easy then build it.

If you think that Apple doesn't keep track of who and what is posted here and other sites, you are more ignorant than imagined. Would you go home and immediately chastise your mother because she didn't make your favorite desert even before you sit down to dinner?

If that is the way you treat everybody, it is no wonder you aren't invited back.
  • Reply 110 of 181
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i'm 99% sure that the push technology in this is licensed from Microsoft. Apple already licenses ActiveSync from MS for the MS Exchange integration. Last month Google licensed it as well for their app store and a lot of other uses other than email. I bet Apple did the same.

Nope.

Otherwise you would think MS would have push in their mobile OS by now. As you say, Apple and google license ActiveSync for push support with Exchange servers.
  • Reply 111 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Too many people think that copy and paste is a trivial matter. It may seem like a simple task when you look at a stylus based device. I'm sure cut and paste is high on Steve's list, but he wants to deliver a product that people can use without studying how to do it. Apple is all about user interface, they always have been. When they come out with cut and paste rest assured that it will be a wonderful implementation, not a slipshod attempt. I have yet to hear a good way to implement cut and paste on the iPhone. Sure it would be easy enough to add a cntrl key to the keyboard, Then you could use cntrl-x and cntrl-v. Or how about Alt-F4? I am anxiously awaiting the Apple implementation fo copy and paste.

To use the words of another poster, anytime I see people asking for Copy/Paste... I wanna barf.

This has to be the dumbest thing in the world to go on and on and on.

It ranks right up there with teh Flash talk, which is just as bad.

Copy and Paste would be easy to implement. As long as we're talking about the TEXT clipboard format only. (which many people think is the only thing copy/paste features support)

The clipboard functions for TEXT objects is so easy to implement, an outsider did it without Apple's approval using undocumented actions.

The reality is, Steve Jobs does NOT think it's important. If he did, it would've been done at the TEXT object level a while ago. I agree with Apple on this one, it's not important. People just don't do that much pure text creation in several apps on the iPhone and have to repeatdly type the same stuff. The four people on Appleinsider that keep talking about it can buy a Pre. The reality is, to be useful, you'd need an object model underneath the SDK that would allow you to share an object across the clipboard object between two cooperating applications. This is so far off the mark on so many levels, if you don't understand why you need to get over it and move on. Clipboarding objects between two applications on a device with only one application running is silly.

Let's get over it and move on.

The Clipboard is a Bill Gates thing, the idea that Steve Jobs has ANY priority on this is way off the mark.

Move on, but don't move on to the Flash discussion either.

These two things are non-iPhone items, buy a Pre and go away or get over it.

Either way, I'm fine.

Oh and..... this really made me laugh:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Sure it would be easy enough to add a cntrl key to the keyboard, Then you could use cntrl-x and cntrl-v. Or how about Alt-F4? I am anxiously awaiting the Apple implementation fo copy and paste.

If you're going to take the time to put images on the keyboard.... just put copy and paste images.
  • Reply 112 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    @ ttupper.

Welcome to AI!

The video linked below is from the creator of MagicPad, the first App Store app that that included copy/paste. The creator does an excellent job of detailing the issues that Apple will have to overcome and the most logical way in which Apple would probably achieve copy/paste with a finger controlled touch screen. Issues, that he points out, he did not have to contend with.
  • Reply 113 of 181
    Apple needs new hardware!

Still to date the iPhone has light leaks (google it - iPhone 3G light leaks)

It still has dust under the LCD! Why is their dust under the LCD? Beats me!

Apple should make a phone without a gasket holding the LCD... This will solve their problems!
  • Reply 114 of 181
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

While I agree that the iPhone is a wonderful device, the absence of a basic feature like copy / paste is baffling. Apple is a big company with significant resources, and should have been able to fix this by now. The absence of copy and paste from any computing device in this day and age is just a really puzzling oversight that Apple needs to correct. It's a bit like buying a Lexus with manual windows. Yes, it's just an annoyance... but why would the manufacturer bring the car to market with such an obvious shortcoming, and then persist in it for multiple versions and product upgrades? It just makes no sense.

it's really not that baffling. remember imac back in 1999. they didn't include a floppy disk drive on a consumer pc. that was baffling for some too but apple has a tendency to not only steer its users but also steer the entire market. copy/paste and mms are features you think you want because other smartphone makers have them but apple isn't interested in pleasing its customers as much as they're interested converting their thinking to something different. that's why there's no real twerty keypad. how come you don't complain about that?

i'll take a copy/paste too but i won't use it. if we go another 6-12 months without copy/paste, i guarantee you won't see the need for it either. remember, sometimes innovation is created by stripping away features and simplifying the experience. sorry if i sound pretentious but i'm channeling apple here...
  • Reply 115 of 181
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Apple did the right thing when it left out basic features, then ignored consumer sentiment... for those same features.

Not sure what you're getting at. He's already said that those people (who didn't like it and didn't buy it) should provide Apple feedback.

But recognize Apple is usually driving towards the future (going to where the puck is going to be) and so will invest few if any resources into providing "basic features" that they don't see continuing into the future. And so that might not be what you want ,and they may never provide what you want.
  • Reply 116 of 181
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Okay to get specific you said:

This is quite the exaggeration given that they never had much of a chance. The native apps and the SDK were announced before more than a half dozen web apps had even made it out the door. After the SDK was available people switched to that for the most part and native apps are more "popular" as a solution, but there is nothing wrong with web apps either. many native apps in the app store today would be better if they were turned back into web apps. They would actually function better.

Your statement implied that there was a period of web app development but that they weren't well received or had some problem and thus ultimately failed. That's an exaggeration, and almost a complete mischaracterisation of what actually happened.

This is so high-school it makes me want to puke.

Again, you imply here that web apps were "bad" or didn't work, or poorly received, when in fact there were hardly any made, and those that were made were exceedingly well received in general.

I think know what you were *trying* to say, but if you just throw around a lot of short, inaccurate hyperbolic statements intended to make you look tough more than they are intended to inform anyone of anything, you should expect a little criticism, and probably a lot of confusion in return.

Words actually, you know ... mean stuff.

"This is so high-school it makes me want to puke." See? There you go. Now wasn't that fun?

Anyways, yes I do know that on paper web apps would be superior and Steve Jobs originally intended that for the direction iphone app development should take. But it wasn't that popular for the very things you guys are pointing out. It didn't allow enough access to the system. It wasn't until the last SDK came out which allowed native apps (albeit with some limitations) that things really started to take off for the iphone.

But for at least six months in the beginning Apple tried their best to get the majority of the dev community to embrace things as they were and for the most part they didn't. Am I wrong?

Apple could of had an additional six month lead with their app store if they started with native apps in the first place.

Oh, by the way, I'm not trying to be tough. Nor do I mind criticism. I'm just generally bored.
  • Reply 117 of 181
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Thoughtless.

are you denying the success of iPhone sales? Nothing is perfect, including the iPhone, but the number of people not buying an iPhone b/c of lacking copy/paste or MMS is probably almost negligible.
  • Reply 118 of 181
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Seriously - I pray for copy/paste ONLY because it will make everyone shutup about not having it. I've had the iPhone since day 1 almost two years ago and found myself wanting copy/paste MAYBE two or three times.

---GREATEST DEVICE SINCE THE WHEEL!!!---

1. COPY&PASTE (Apple since 1984!!!)

2. ADOBE FLASH PLAYER (no more little blue squares!)

3. Horizontal EMAIL

but I'll take what I can get-this thing is the greatest as is!
  • Reply 119 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

PS: As a shareholder, gotta love how Apple is pulling the rug from under the feet of its cell-phone competition once again. Reminds me of how competitors to the iPod were often left eating dust......

Exactly. A lot of what Apple does is only successful because of its integrated ecosystem.

The early iTunes music store competitors are just about all dead. Why? Because Apple led them down a path in which the competitors could not succeed. Apple ran the iTMS at barely break-even because in Apple's ecosystem, the Store was to help sell iPods, and so Apple made their money on iPods. None of the music store competitors made hardware so they had zero profits. (I continue to wonder how much Amazon is subsidizing their mp3 store from profits in other areas of Amazon.)

Here we are again, with the App Store. Apple will run it at break-even, as its purpose is to sell iPhones/touch. For Nokia, RIM, Palm and maybe Google, it may work because they sell hardware or ads, but they all will have to deal with model/OS fragmentation, so will likely not be as successful. But MS? Since they plan to be more open than Apple, they'll surely also have lots of free apps that generate revenue not from app sales but via ads or directly-connected sites, from which MS gets zip. They'll lose as much money from their store as they actually earn from WM licensing fees.
  • Reply 120 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeyo9 View Post

Isn't it annoying, at least sometimes, to answer with the sliding button? This phone is a marvel but some things should be more flexible. Also:

- Horizontal keyboard

- Global search

- Bluetooth file transfer

- Flash

Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?

Because integrated and tested software doesn't just magically appear out of thin air?