Apple orders 10-inch touchscreens for mystery product

Comments

• Reply 121 of 243
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by menken View Post

Why not a netbook with two 20'' screens that can be folded like a book? It will be an ebook reader that will turn into a netbook when turned 90 degrees, with one screen converted then to a touchscreen keyboard? When closed, a bookcover (or any other pucture) can show up on the outside.

Just slip it into your portfolio case with a Wacom tablet and you'd be all set for your life drawing class. Forget that messy paper, just turn on the slide show in iPhoto!
  • Reply 122 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Jeez, glass half empty much?

Yes, when I see Apple headed down the Microsoft path. Of course.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The only thing that seems certain at this point is that you will be disappointed and angry regardless.

I'm not really in the market for a tablet-like machine, having five other Macs in the house, so either way I won't be disappointed in that I won't need the machine. OTOH, I think it is fair to say that if it's a closed OS (like the iPhone/iPod Touch), I will be disappointed in Apple on principle.

If they come out with a Mac Touch with an open OS, then they will have made the correct choice and I will be happy for them. I probably wouldn't buy one unless one of my Apple laptops died.
  • Reply 123 of 243
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Yes, when I see Apple headed down the Microsoft path. Of course.

I'm not really in the market for a tablet-like machine, having five other Macs in the house, so either way I won't be disappointed in that I won't need the machine. OTOH, I think it is fair to say that if it's a closed OS (like the iPhone/iPod Touch), I will be disappointed in Apple on principle.

If they come out with a Mac Touch with an open OS, then they will have made the correct choice and I will be happy for them. I probably wouldn't buy one unless one of my Apple laptops died.

Explain this "principle."
  • Reply 124 of 243
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macworld2009 View Post

Apple might spy an opportunity to sell top-tier touchscreen tablet-style computers, but the fear is that the presumably big price tag won't be an easy fit in the netbook cheapening trend.

As analysts have noted, Apple ultra-cool, luxury devices are not quite in tune dvd ripper for mac with the steepening global recession and a flight to cheaper gadgets.

Consider it from slightly blunter angle. Consumers face an interesting choice: Buy an Apple computer, video converter for mac, or buy four netbooks for the same price.

Jim Cramer.
  • Reply 125 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I was going more for 9 x 6 larger book format. We don't worry about .5" margins and a inside seam margin. The reason I brought it up was simply due to everyone at Apple [when I worked there years ago] wanted to design one of that form factor.

Aha. Very illuminating, Mr. D. Thanks.
  • Reply 126 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I was going more for 9 x 6 larger book format. We don't worry about .5" margins and a inside seam margin. The reason I brought it up was simply due to everyone at Apple [when I worked there years ago] wanted to design one of that form factor.

Define "one".
  • Reply 127 of 243
    here's what i think Apple's netbook will be like: http://nquo.blogspot.com

and i hope it's not an e-reader! although i'm sure Apple would throw in some cool features if it did. but a netbook would probably have a much broader appeal
  • Reply 128 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I'm interested in this thing as a reader plus browser, player, e-mail, GPS, etc..

It would not replace my notebook.

It would replace books, magazines, maps, and newspapers, eventually bookshelves. Sometimes I'd want to buy a physical book anyway, or even some magazines. But mostly I'd rather save the trees and avoid piles of combustible trash. Especially so for newspapers, which I hardly buy as it is.

I'm awfully tempted by the Kindle as it is, but it's a one application device.
  • Reply 129 of 243
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

here's what i think Apple's netbook will be like: http://nquo.blogspot.com

and i hope it's not an e-reader! although i'm sure Apple would throw in some cool features if it did. but a netbook would probably have a much broader appeal

It would be really cool if they could integrate George Foreman grilling technology into this. Perhaps on the battery side?
  • Reply 130 of 243
    Ireland,

Your idea IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Apple doesn't do bad ideas, and your idea is bad. If Apple makes a supersized iPod Touch it will be HANDheld, not something you need two hands for. Something in the 6" diagonal range, give or take 3/4 of an inch. If this 10" screen rumor is true then we'll be seeing something like a smaller Macbook Air. I wish they would just hurry up and release it so you can quit posting your unbelievably poorly thought out mock-up.
  • Reply 131 of 243
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The device I'd want, though I don't think Apple would make it, is a device that combines a netbook, tablet and eReader into one.

A device that has essentially about the same screen size of an 8x11" sheet of paper without the extraneous margins, header, footer. It would come in a leather bound cover like other eReaders with a small magnet in the leather case as a latch.

When you open it up you have simple controls, like with Sony eReaders. No keyboard like Kindles. The eReader display lifts up to reveal an IPS LCD display with LED backlighting and a black backlit keyboard. This backlighting can be used at its lowest levels as a backlight for the eReader. The leather back can now latch back onto the eReader face.

This small form factor notebook will have Mac OS X, not a bastardized iPhone OS X. The keys will be the same size as current MBs, though slightly closer together. There will be very little space on the side of the keyboard, but since the ports are on the back of the device,, not the side. There is no optical drive the aluminium milling can easily be beefed up to "rigidize" the case. The headphone jack wiil be on the only port on the left side of the device near the front when used as a netbook. This would make it the right bottom of the device when used as a eReader. I think the only way to do a speaker is to use a single speaker for basic sounds like in the iPhone and iPod Touch. The different positions to hold such a device would make proper stereo speakers difficult to place so using headphones would be the best option for listening to real audio, especially since this device seems to be geared for being in public places often.

If you want a tablet, you unlatch the leather cover and rotate the display 180° and lay it flat. The device now becomes a tablet. There are some basic controls on the top edge of the display to rotate the screen. Once it's in this mode the Finder.app and Dock.app apps are automatically killed and the Finder Touch.app and Dock Touch.apps are started. These allow for finger gestures to be used more efficiently than with the apps designed for mice, trackpads and keyboards.

Internally, this device would be using the C2Dsin the MBA. A SL9300 or SL9400 with 1.60GHz and 1.86GHz, respectively. Each are 45nm processers with 6M L2 cache and 1066 MHz FSB. 2GB DDR 3 RAM and Nvidia 9400M, of course.A 2.5" HDD or Intel SSD. Despite using a MBA CPU the case would be thick allowing for a normal notebook HDD. Vents for this device could be on the back side where it would hinge and/or right under the display since it will only be connecting to the case from a centralized pivot point. BT, 802.11n, two USB ports on the back left side when in netbook with a MagSafe plug next to it closer to the edge, the other ports on the other side.

The battery would be substantial greater for those wanting to use it mainly as an eReader. I would imagine that the device could have a pretty nice size battery giving it a good 6 hours of netbook use from the non-user replaceable battery (I prefer more battery time, not options to do things I won't do), but the weight would be around 3.5 to 4lbs. Clearly heavy for an eReader or a cheap netbook running an Atom CPU but for the speed and complexity a little more weight is a good thing.

That is what I would want, but I'm not expecting it so I won't be whining about it when it doesn't show up.
  • Reply 132 of 243
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Apple always does this, you saw it with the delay of Leopard, the iPhone, the Macbook Air etc. They say "Oh, thats not going to happen" then it happens. Saying that, I would need a bit more evidence to know this is true. I remember all the people going retard strong last year because of the "arrival of netbooks" at customs for Apple, which turned out to be just a new iphone.

Apple's smart, they aren't huge, so they wait till somethings been proven on the market (look at anything they've done, they are not a hardware innovator,) change it a little bit so it seems like they started it, and then everyone thinks of them as a huge inventer of new technology.

Please link to specifc Press releases in which Apple denied working on a phone or thin laptop.
  • Reply 133 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

Ireland,

Your idea IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Apple doesn't do bad ideas, and your idea is bad. If Apple makes a supersized iPod Touch it will be HANDheld, not something you need two hands for. Something in the 6" diagonal range, give or take 3/4 of an inch. If this 10" screen rumor is true then we'll be seeing something like a smaller Macbook Air. I wish they would just hurry up and release it so you can quit posting your unbelievably poorly thought out mock-up.

Better than any of your ideas or mockups. It's easy to sit there behind your keyboard and tell everyone why they are dumb. It isn't a dumb idea, you're dumb. LOOK AT ME; I CAN PRESS CAPS, TO PROVE I KNOW THINGS.

Quote:

If Apple makes a supersized iPod Touch it will be HANDheld

That's just the point, it won't be an iPod. I will be a Mac! A Mac tablet.

Quote:

If this 10" screen rumor is true then we'll be seeing something like a smaller Macbook Air.

No, wrong. The whole selling point of the MacBook Air is that it's so thin and light, with a full sized keyboard. It's why I own one. To make a Mac with a 10" display, it will need to have a touch-screen keyboard. We'll see who's wrong when the time comes I'm sure.
  • Reply 134 of 243
    I didn't say you were "dumb", I don't know whether you are or not. I said your idea is bad, I know that for sure. If you have to hold something with two hands, how exactly are you going to use the touchscreen UI? A third hand?

Does it make sense to prop up a 10" screen on a desk like a picture frame then have to pull out a keyboard and mouse for a total of three pieces you need to carry around, or does it make more sense to set a notebook like device on the desk and unfold it for a total of one thing?

And I haven't made any mock-ups because I don't work for Apple, and I'm sure glad that you don't either
  • Reply 135 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

I didn't say you were "dumb", I don't know whether you are or not. I said your idea is bad, I know that for sure. If you have to hold something with two hands, how exactly are you going to use the touchscreen UI? A third hand?

Does it make sense to prop up a 10" screen on a desk like a picture frame then have to pull out a keyboard and mouse for a total of three pieces you need to carry around, or does it make more sense to set a notebook like device on the desk and unfold it for a total of one thing?

And I haven't made any mock-ups because I don't work for Apple, and I'm sure glad that you don't either

Go back and read my past comments on the tablet. I've asnwered stupid questions like those before. You won't need a third hand, sigh.
  • Reply 136 of 243
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The device I'd want, though I don't think Apple would make it, is a device that combines a netbook, tablet and eReader into one.

A device that has essentially about the same screen size of an 8x11" sheet of paper without the extraneous margins, header, footer. It would come in a leather bound cover like other eReaders with a small magnet in the leather case as a latch.

When you open it up you have simple controls, like with Sony eReaders. No keyboard like Kindles. The eReader display lifts up to reveal an IPS LCD display with LED backlighting and a black backlit keyboard. This backlighting can be used at its lowest levels as a backlight for the eReader. The leather back can now latch back onto the eReader face.

This small form factor notebook will have Mac OS X, not a bastardized iPhone OS X. The keys will be the same size as current MBs, though slightly closer together. There will be very little space on the side of the keyboard, but since the ports are on the back of the device,, not the side. There is no optical drive the aluminium milling can easily be beefed up to "rigidize" the case. The headphone jack wiil be on the only port on the left side of the device near the front when used as a netbook. This would make it the right bottom of the device when used as a eReader. I think the only way to do a speaker is to use a single speaker for basic sounds like in the iPhone and iPod Touch. The different positions to hold such a device would make proper stereo speakers difficult to place so using headphones would be the best option for listening to real audio, especially since this device seems to be geared for being in public places often.

If you want a tablet, you unlatch the leather cover and rotate the display 180° and lay it flat. The device now becomes a tablet. There are some basic controls on the top edge of the display to rotate the screen. Once it's in this mode the Finder.app and Dock.app apps are automatically killed and the Finder Touch.app and Dock Touch.apps are started. These allow for finger gestures to be used more efficiently than with the apps designed for mice, trackpads and keyboards.

Internally, this device would be using the C2Dsin the MBA. A SL9300 or SL9400 with 1.60GHz and 1.86GHz, respectively. Each are 45nm processers with 6M L2 cache and 1066 MHz FSB. 2GB DDR 3 RAM and Nvidia 9400M, of course.A 2.5" HDD or Intel SSD. Despite using a MBA CPU the case would be thick allowing for a normal notebook HDD. Vents for this device could be on the back side where it would hinge and/or right under the display since it will only be connecting to the case from a centralized pivot point. BT, 802.11n, two USB ports on the back left side when in netbook with a MagSafe plug next to it closer to the edge, the other ports on the other side.

The battery would be substantial greater for those wanting to use it mainly as an eReader. I would imagine that the device could have a pretty nice size battery giving it a good 6 hours of netbook use from the non-user replaceable battery (I prefer more battery time, not options to do things I won't do), but the weight would be around 3.5 to 4lbs. Clearly heavy for an eReader or a cheap netbook running an Atom CPU but for the speed and complexity a little more weight is a good thing.

That is what I would want, but I'm not expecting it so I won't be whining about it when it doesn't show up.

Is it your pure imagination? Or you've got some clues to how that's gonna happen?

10" touchscreen can't be conjoined with a hardware keyboard in one mobile setup. No point in it at all. I wouldn't expect that of Apple.

It would rather be a kinda tablet, I'd say. And quite probably a desktop device.

To tell the truth, that big touchscreen is quite useless even on tablet device, supposed to be mobile. The mobile tablet of that size should be much better driven by two trackballs... Or by some minimalistic keyboard on the back side of device.

A screen like those ordered by Apple fits ideally some expensive control pad, I dare say...
  • Reply 137 of 243
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Define "one".

Digital Dayplanner, touchscreen with OS X, wireless, etc, on on side, and on the other side of the carrying zip case would be for traditional pen/pencil/quick notes later to be added for addresses, meeting minutes, business cards, etc.

Engineering wanted it to have a means to keep all their projects organized with access to build repositories for architects to check and/or update code whenever they are away from a laptop or desktop.
  • Reply 138 of 243
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Better than any of your ideas or mockups. It's easy to sit there behind your keyboard and tell everyone why they are dumb. It isn't a dumb idea, you're dumb. LOOK AT ME; I CAN PRESS CAPS, TO PROVE I KNOW THINGS.

Given that your mockups are either simply the iPhone enlarged (which you spam everywhere) or simply taken from someone else without attribution I think the two are equally easy. Oh, and you've been reported for calling him dumb. Try not to do that eh?

Quote:

That's just the point, it won't be an iPod. I will be a Mac! A Mac tablet.

Repeated assertion is no better than CAPS. It may be a tablet. It may not. Even if it is a tablet it may not be a slate but a convertible.

Quote:

No, wrong. The whole selling point of the MacBook Air is that it's so thin and light, with a full sized keyboard. It's why I own one. To make a Mac with a 10" display, it will need to have a touch-screen keyboard. We'll see who's wrong when the time comes I'm sure.

Given I have a 10" netbook with a decent keyboard that's completely false. You do not need to have a touch-screen keyboard and given I've used a touch screen keyboard (full sized not the iPhone one) and you haven't I probably know the limitations of one far better than you.
  • Reply 139 of 243
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Naysayers can blah blah blah all they want.

The era of the mactouch still approaches.
  • Reply 140 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Naysayers can blah blah blah all they want.

The era of the mactouch still approaches.

You rock!

Apple will never make a phone and anyone who says so is crazy!