Apple to unveil iPhone 3.0 software at March 17th event

Comments

• Reply 141 of 181
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think its fine is someone wants some particular feature on the iPhone. Or someone who says they will not buy the iPhone until it has some particular feature.

The problem I have is with people who buy the iPhone and then complain that it does not have a feature that it has never had and Apple has never promised.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Let's not be so close minded. It's sad how many people think just because they don't need <insert feature here> personally and because iPhone doesn't have <insert feature here>, no one else should have <insert feature here> either.

• Reply 142 of 181
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    As far as cut and paste goes all I would like to be able to do is take the URL of the page I've got open over there ---->

...and paste it here ----->

...or into an email or SMS.

That URL might be an article that adds interest and further information to a post and acts as a reference.

You could post links to screenshots and photo's uploaded to web sharing sites.

Most of the time posting links is the only reason I find that I have to fire up my PC.
  • Reply 143 of 181
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Me, I'd like to see this built right into an iPhone Xcode project so I don't have to add it in each app ...

Code:

NSBundle *bundle = [NSBundle mainBundle];

NSDictionary *info = [bundle infoDictionary];

if ([info objectForKey: @"SignerIdentity";] != nil) // therefore a cracked IPA

{

/* do something */

}

I'm not a programmer, but does this integrate some kind of core level dictionary function? What is this "cracked IPA"?
  • Reply 144 of 181
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    I know it is a dream but I would love to see a surprise appearance from Steve Jobs. Then a new updated iPhone.
  • Reply 145 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm not a programmer, but does this integrate some kind of core level dictionary function? What is this "cracked IPA"?

It's the file extention for iPhone applications.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

I know it is a dream but I would love to see a surprise appearance from Steve Jobs. Then a new updated iPhone.

Jobs is more likely to appear than a new iPhone. At the most you can expect a flash bump, but I think that is also unlikely.
  • Reply 146 of 181
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes. Do you like Pina Colada?

• Reply 147 of 181
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

... This is perhaps one of the stupidest, most logic-defying, and most assinine posts I've ever read. In how many ways did you have to twist your brain to come up with that logic, just to justify Apple's decisions?

You're comparing the usefulness of C&P on the iPhone to that of a a LED clock (from 1982, no less)?

Or to that of a car? Really? Funny, I've never had the urge to use C&P on my clocks. Nor in my car. Nor have, I surmise, anyone else on this planet, making your analogy completely and utterly inept. I won't humor you with the obvious and fundamental differences between an iPhone, a LEd clock, and a car (ZOMG, THEYRE ALL COMPUTERS11!!)

On the other hand, I've had literally hundreds of situation since I got my iPhone where C&P would have saved me grief, time, and inconvenience, or would have otherwise allowed me to accomplish a simple task on the phone that may have been near impossible without it. As is the case- I presume- with many, many others, which is why this is such a requested feature. Maybe you've never needed to transfer information between email/txt messages/google maps/notes/safari but millions of others have (crazy concept, eh?).

But hey, back to those LED clocks... I swear, some of you are unbelievable. I've been reading this site and browsing these boards for a long time, and as you can see from my post count, this drivel is what broke the camel's back and got me to register and respond. Unlike you, I'm sure others here and Apple realizes that people pay to use their products, and not the other way around. ...

Dude, no offence but I have no idea what you are going on about.

The guy was arguing that the iPhone should have copy and paste, because it was a "computer" and that all "computers" *should* have copy and paste.

I was pointing out that his assumptions about what a "computer" is, and whether all "computers" were the same in that they required copy and paste was faulty.

That doesn't mean I am equating a pen clock or a car with a laptop or a mobile, it means just the opposite. I am saying that the analogy he was using was faulty because those things are all *not* equal.

Just because an iPhone, (or a clock or anything) is under some definition technically a "computer," it does not necessarily follow that it *should* have copy and paste. Whether something needs copy and paste is determined by it's intended function. Does it have a file system? Is it something I use to edit documents? Those are the criteria.

The very basis of his argument was wrong. He was "baffled" about the absence of copy and paste on a device that has no file system and is not used to edit documents. I merely questioned his "bafflement." Seems logical to me.
  • Reply 148 of 181
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

And when Steve is done showing us the new iphone, on mar 17th no less, he can then do a "BOOM" one more thing and debut the Apple branded jet pack!

Which he would then use to make a dramatic exit after the show.
  • Reply 149 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Seriously - I pray for copy/paste ONLY because it will make everyone shutup about not having it. I've had the iPhone since day 1 almost two years ago and found myself wanting copy/paste MAYBE two or three times.

Couldn't agree anymore. Most overrated and underused feature.
  • Reply 150 of 181
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeyo9 View Post

We're not asking for "integrated and tested software" since January or December, it's been years already.

Do you think the iPhone (3G) is perfect? Would it be a better product with all the things people are asking for or not? Maybe I should ask you what would you recommend to make it a better product? Just remember you can't say Flash, Copy & Paste (which I didn't), Bluetooth transfer, etc. Please, illuminate me.

You asked, "Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?" I thought I could get away with a simple answer but you didn't get it.

Okay, so Perspective. It's all about perspective.

First, do you know how software is developed? Do you understand how a company might develop capabilities iaw its strategic plans, and how software may be slotted to arrive when the hardware capable of running that software in a pleasing way actually arrives?

So, duh, of course, Apple is not intentionally out to limit the iPhone - Apple wants it to do all the things Apple wants it to do. But it takes people and time (and money) to make those things happen; they don't just happen because someone thinks it. Apple has finite numbers of people who have limited amounts of time that must be spread over many many possible choices.

iPhone was released in June 2007. It's been 18 months between that release and the last iPhone feature-update (2.2). The first few months after iPhone 1.0 were focused on bug fixes, and a few small features for 1.1 followed by more bug fixes. (Hey, for perspective, remember that Ed Colligan (Palm CEO) said the PC makers couldn't just walk in -- he meant it would take some time to iron out all the cellular issues, among other things. But little did he know!) Concurrently, that first year was also focused on all the things that were included in iPhone 2.0, including the ability to run native apps, activesync, and the integration of GPS and 3G. Then more bug fixes and a few minor features in 2.1 and 2.2.

Now concurrent with 2.1 and 2.2, at least since some point between March and July 2008 (and likely even before), Apple has been designing, developing, integrating, and testing software for 3.0, and you and I have no idea what is in it.

So why might some things be in 3.0 instead of 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2? Because it may have taken coordination. Since iPhone OS X shares its underpinnings with Mac OS X, there had to be coordination with Leopard and Snow Leopard. (See push notification possibly delayed to align with Snow Leopard Server.) Same for Safari. And for iTunes. Or it was very complex (like cut and paste); has anyone ever done this for multi-touch? Or it's waiting for hardware (like Flash). Or it's waiting for a strategic introduction where it's linked with other parts of Apple's Mac/iPod/AppleTV/iTunes ecosystem (possibly like navigation or video).

But is Apple intentionally limiting iPhone. Of course not. There's a time and place for each capability, and Apple has a plan.

By the way, how many feature-additive (not security or bug fix) releases of Win Mobile, or Symbian, or Blackberry OS, or WebOS, or Palm OS, or Mac OS, or Windows OS has there been for each in the last 18 months? Anyone put out 2 upgrades yet?

Perspective. It's all about perspective.
  • Reply 151 of 181
    All I want is multitasking so that I can check email or use Safari while also running Tuner and MORE PRIVACY features.

If my phone is locked, no one should be able to tell who my incoming sms messages are from by simply pressing a button. It's convenience for some users, but a huge annoyance for me. That should be a simple slider switch.

Oh...and for the love of whatever God you may or may not believe in: CUT AND PASTE!

Thank you, that is all. ;-)
  • Reply 152 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

You asked, "Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?" I thought I could get away with a simple answer but you didn't get it.

Okay, so Perspective. It's all about perspective.

First, do you know how software is developed? Do you understand how a company might develop capabilities iaw its strategic plans, and how software may be slotted to arrive when the hardware capable of running that software in a pleasing way actually arrives?

So, duh, of course, Apple is not intentionally out to limit the iPhone - Apple wants it to do all the things Apple wants it to do. But it takes people and time (and money) to make those things happen; they don't just happen because someone thinks it. Apple has finite numbers of people who have limited amounts of time that must be spread over many many possible choices.

iPhone was released in June 2007. It's been 18 months between that release and the last iPhone feature-update (2.2). The first few months after iPhone 1.0 were focused on bug fixes, and a few small features for 1.1 followed by more bug fixes. (Hey, for perspective, remember that Ed Colligan (Palm CEO) said the PC makers couldn't just walk in -- he meant it would take some time to iron out all the cellular issues, among other things. But little did he know!) Concurrently, that first year was also focused on all the things that were included in iPhone 2.0, including the ability to run native apps, activesync, and the integration of GPS and 3G. Then more bug fixes and a few minor features in 2.1 and 2.2.

Now concurrent with 2.1 and 2.2, at least since some point between March and July 2008 (and likely even before), Apple has been designing, developing, integrating, and testing software for 3.0, and you and I have no idea what is in it.

So why might some things be in 3.0 instead of 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2? Because it may have taken coordination. Since iPhone OS X shares its underpinnings with Mac OS X, there had to be coordination with Leopard and Snow Leopard. (See push notification possibly delayed to align with Snow Leopard Server.) Same for Safari. And for iTunes. Or it was very complex (like cut and paste); has anyone ever done this for multi-touch? Or it's waiting for hardware (like Flash). Or it's waiting for a strategic introduction where it's linked with other parts of Apple's Mac/iPod/AppleTV/iTunes ecosystem (possibly like navigation or video).

But is Apple intentionally limiting iPhone. Of course not. There's a time and place for each capability, and Apple has a plan.

By the way, how many feature-additive (not security or bug fix) releases of Win Mobile, or Symbian, or Blackberry OS, or WebOS, or Palm OS, or Mac OS, or Windows OS has there been for each in the last 18 months? Anyone put out 2 upgrades yet?

Perspective. It's all about perspective.

...and brevity. ;-)
  • Reply 153 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Please. Well, ok sure.

I guess they are still being made even now out of necessity. And the majority of the pre-existing one must have been thrown into the app store after its debut.

But really.....how many of the 25,000 or so of the applications in the store now are web apps?

a lot of the free ones might be webapps, or do open a webview with some ads to click on at some point, for the revenue.
  • Reply 154 of 181
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The iPhone is already capable of cut and paste, if you quickly tap a link on a webpage in Safari it will sometimes open a blank page, if you close the page and go back to the previous page then hold the link for a short while you may notice a grey box with the link text in it, Safari opens the new page with the link in the URL bar and the page loads.

Here is an example:-

To all you iPhone camera critics at <insert forum here> I've found the camera is not too bad, here are some shots I took on New Years Eve, as you can see the camera details are recorded.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hill60/

PS I had to fire up my PC to paste this link, another piece of coal went on to local power station, a baby penguin will die, well maybe not a penguin but some other cute critter not associated with an operating system...

...are you happy now Steve?

Not so green now, are we!!!
  • Reply 155 of 181
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeyo9 View Post

Isn't it annoying, at least sometimes, to answer with the sliding button? This phone is a marvel but some things should be more flexible. Also:

- Horizontal keyboard

- Global search

- Bluetooth file transfer

- Flash

Why is Apple limiting the iPhone?

1 Thing, and I'll quit thinking about the Pre......

Spotlight / Global Search!!!!!
  • Reply 156 of 181
    Gee! And just when Palm thought it would just walk in a steal all the iPhone users away from Apple. I guess they'll just have to rethink some of their plans of smartphone domination.
  • Reply 157 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FusionFox View Post

I'm hoping that Apple has been listening to complaints and looking at their customers outside the US and is going to throw MMS in with all of these.

It's been said many times before, the fact that the cheapest and oldest phone I could go out and buy now can do it but the iphone can't is just ridiculous.

Sure, people can reply and say it's a useless technology and that a lot of people don't use it (though just about everybody I know here in the UK does), but I'm the one still considering whether or not I want to get an iphone after 2 years and I'd like MMS quite a lot \

And improve the SMS app please!!! Texting is big in the Philippines (we don't have rip-off fees like in the US) and we need message forwarding, forwarding to multiple contacts, individual deletion of sms messages, landscape kboard etc...

The basics first, please...
  • Reply 158 of 181
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strikestrike View Post

And improve the SMS app please!!! Texting is big in the Philippines (we don't have rip-off fees like in the US) and we need message forwarding, forwarding to multiple contacts, individual deletion of sms messages, landscape kboard etc...

The basics first, please...

I like this. If email becomes more popular on cellphones, no just smartphones, then carriers in the US and elsewhere will probably start offering SMS at lower and eventually free to attract business.
    "The local telecoms sector was abuzz earlier this month when the Philippine government proposed to make SMS a free service amid soaring gas and food prices.

Department of Transportation and Communications (DoTC) Secretary Leandro Mendoza was quoted in local papers saying that mobile phone carriers have no business charging customers for text messages when their revenues should be generated by offering voice calls."
  • Reply 159 of 181
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

New theory by someone over at 9to5 mac....

Someone thinks that the new iphone 3.0 SDK will allow apps to be resolution independent. And that in turn would suggest that more devices with different dimensions than the regular iphone are soon to follow.

Oooohhhh........Aahhhhhhhhh!!

I think resolution independence will have to come in order to offer sharper displays without making things tiny or breaking apps. Given that the iPhone is a very limited environment compared to a regular OS, I think it's probably a lot easier to support and manage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like this. If email becomes more popular on cellphones, no just smartphones, then carriers in the US and elsewhere will probably start offering SMS at lower and eventually free to attract business.
    "The local telecoms sector was abuzz earlier this month when the Philippine government proposed to make SMS a free service amid soaring gas and food prices.

Department of Transportation and Communications (DoTC) Secretary Leandro Mendoza was quoted in local papers saying that mobile phone carriers have no business charging customers for text messages when their revenues should be generated by offering voice calls."

Expecting free texts is a bit much because of the way it is transmitted and handled within the network, and how it often is used to replace voice use, though the current prices I have to pay are way too high for me to use it any more often than sparingly.
  • Reply 160 of 181
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

dragging one app at a time to put all my games on the last page is tedious. And once they are setup going through the pages can be rough

I want simulated iPhone application pages in iTunes so I can arrange my icons on my computer where I have a much larger screen and trackpad/mouse and then have my arrangement sync over!