iPhone 3.0 MMS, tethering rumored; Sirius XM iPhone app enroute

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's just confirmed iPhone 3.0 firmware is already rumored to add MMS picture messaging and data tethering. Also, Sirius XM has said it plans to give its radio subscribers an iPhone app, and Maine is negotiating a major deal to lease 100,000 MacBooks for its schools.

Possible iPhone 3.0 features leaked

While Apple has only just said it will introduce iPhone 3.0 at a special event next week, rumors have already surfaced of what the major refresh of the mobile OS will bring.

Well-known technology insider Boy Genius said he has been told of two new features so far. Notably, iPhones would get Multimedia Messaging Service support, or MMS. The standard is used to send photos and videos in a form similar to text-only SMS and has long been popular for trading content between phones for several years. Apple is one of the few phone manufacturers to leave out MMS.

iPhones would also purportedly get data tethering, or the ability to serve as the Internet connection for a computer, for both a direct USB connection as well as over Bluetooth. The update would put iPhones on a par with the data options for most smartphones.

Both claims haven't received additional support and should, for now, be seen as potentially inaccurate. However, AT&T has already said that tethering would come soon to iPhones.

Sirius XM building iPhone radio app

Hoping to diversify where and how users get its satellite radio stations, Sirius XM on Thursday mentioned in a financial results conference call that it will have an iPhone app ready sometime during the spring.

The software would let the iPhone and iPod touch stream Sirius or XM stations over the devices' respective Internet connections. Existing subscribers could keep listening to programming away from their normal satellite radios, while new customers could subscribe without having to link it to a dedicated radio, according to Sirius XM chief Mel Karmazin.

Unlike most existing Internet radio apps for the iPhone, the app would likely require the same $13 monthly subscription as needed for Sirius XM's conventional radios or for online-only listening.

The company has been struggling to add subscribers in recent months and has been particularly hard-hit in the automotive industry, where plunging car sales mean fewer satellite radios being sold.

Maine may grow MacBook school program

Even though the economic crisis has been tightening educational budgets, Apple is nearing a coup that would see it deliver 100,000 MacBooks to Maine high school students.

The northeastern state's Education Department declared on Wednesday that it was talking with Apple to expand the range of its current agreement -- which began in 2006 -- to more than double the current tally of about 47,000 MacBooks as part of a four-year leasing deal.

As with the original program, the goal would be to close the gap between rich and poor students by ensuring that every student has access to the same computing resources. A 2007 study showed that the writing skills of students had increased after the portables were introduced to classes.

And to deflect likely criticisms regarding wasteful spending, state Governor John Baldacci has stressed that the MacBooks won't add to any existing spending deficit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    Hmm. I'd rather see the iPhone peer-pressuring other phones into supporting real email than caving in and adding support for stopgap fake email. \
  • Reply 2 of 90
    w1n78w1n78 Posts: 26member
    wow, if this ends up being true, the only thing i can complain about my iphone 3g is the garbage coverage at&t has
  • Reply 3 of 90
    w00masterw00master Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

Hmm. I'd rather see the iPhone peer-pressuring other phones into supporting real email than caving in and adding support for stopgap fake email. \

Because, it's a losing battle. Ever try to email using T9? Riiiight. That form factor (dial pad format) will NEVER go away.

It's about d*mn time that MMS is coming. About d*mn time. I'm so freaking sick of going to that buggy site just to look at a pict. I just hope this rumor is true.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Sounds like all good news to me.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

I'm so freaking sick of going to that buggy site just to look at a pict. I just hope this rumor is true.

I don't care about MMS and frankly would rather it not show up at all in an attempt to push more basic phones to offer email, but since SMS/MMS is pushed and email generally wouldn't be, especially on cheap phones, I see a reason why some want it.

If the site you are referring to is AT&T's site for viewing an MMS, then I agree. Not that I have a problem with receiving an SMS that points to an MMS image on a webpage, but the link in the SMS should be hyperlinked and have a hash code in it that doesn't require you to log in at all, especially with that cryptic username and password. For a service that make bank on AT&T sure seems to go out their way to make as inconvenient as possible to view on the web. On top of that, the picture quality seems to be lowered substantially for web viewing.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

I don't see anything wrong with supporting the past, especially when it can be done at virtually zero cost and can be hidden entirely. I mean, the iPhone could receive an MMS from within email as an email from a phone number. It could send MMS the same way.

Anyway, MMS & Tethering are the common requests for the iPhone and they don't require a version 3.0 to implement, in the slightest. I wonder what else version 3.0 brings to the table!
  • Reply 7 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I don't see anything wrong with supporting the past, especially when it can be done at virtually zero cost and can be hidden entirely.

My biggest issue with SMS and MMS is that it's crappy technology that exorbitant rates. I think the whole thing is a scam and is a result of the cellular cartel price gouging the customer. If the cost is virtually zero why do they charge so much for 160 characters and the price keeps going up? It's considerably more than the cost of receiving data from the Hubble telescope.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple's just confirmed iPhone 3.0 firmware is already rumored to add MMS picture messaging and data tethering.

Both claims haven't received additional support and should, for now, be seen as potentially inaccurate.

Which one is it? Apple confirmed a claim that has received no additional support?

edit: Ah I see now, that first sentence has two subjects.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't care about MMS and frankly would rather it not show up at all in an attempt to push more basic phones to offer email, but since SMS/MMS is pushed and email generally wouldn't be, especially on cheap phones, I see a reason why some want it.

If the site you are referring to is AT&T's site for viewing an MMS, then I agree. Not that I have a problem with receiving an SMS that points to an MMS image on a webpage, but the link in the SMS should be hyperlinked and have a hash code in it that doesn't require you to log in at all, especially with that cryptic username and password. For a service that make bank on AT&T sure seems to go out their way to make as inconvenient as possible to view on the web. On top of that, the picture quality seems to be lowered substantially for web viewing.

I'm sure you've had this debate before, but I'll put it this way... since you believe what you believe (i.e. everyone should just go to email) then why did Apple add in SMS? Doesn't Email do things better then?

Listen, in a "perfect" world, I'd agree with you that everyone just needs to go to email, but we don't live in a "perfect" world. All mobile phones have SMS. Nearly ALL mobile phones also has MMS. About HALF as many phones have some sort of email capability. It's about d*mn time that the supposed "most advanced phone" in the world should have MMS.

Ultimately though? I can sorta live without MMS, but Copy and Paste? For the love of GOD, C&P needs to be in the iPhone. I honestly believe this is the biggest reason why document, spreadsheet, etc. editing hasn't happened on the iPhone. You gotta have C&P.
  • Reply 10 of 90
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I really don't think Apple is releasing the 3.0 update for MMS and tethering while they could have done it with 2.x update. I really don't think Apple is holding an event just to show MMS and tethering. I think this event and upgrade will mainly be all about OS improvement (performance, user interface, and system). Maybe we will see MMS and tethering but they will not be the stars of the events. There is still a lot of work to be done on the iPhone OS.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I really don't think Apple is releasing the 3.0 update for MMS and tethering while they could have done it with 2.x update. I really don't think Apple is holding an event just to show MMS and tethering. I think this event and upgrade will mainly be all about OS improvement (performance, user interface, and system). Maybe we will see MMS and tethering but they will not be the stars of the events. There is still a lot of work to be done on the iPhone OS.

I don't think anyone is claiming that MMS/tethering is "going to be the star" of the iPhone OS 3.0. This article was just a possible tidbit of what is coming.
  • Reply 12 of 90
    Quote:

I'm sure you've had this debate before, but I'll put it this way... since you believe what you believe (i.e. everyone should just go to email) then why did Apple add in SMS? Doesn't Email do things better then?

I never said that everyone should go to email. I said I see a reason for it. My next reply stated this...
    "My biggest issue with SMS and MMS is that it's crappy technology that exorbitant rates. I think the whole thing is a scam and is a result of the cellular cartel price gouging the customer. If the cost is virtually zero why do they charge so much for 160 characters and the price keeps going up? It's considerably more than the cost of receiving data from the Hubble telescope."
    Quote:

I'm guessing we'll see a base OS of Snow Leopard for the next iPhone. I wonder if they will demo the next iPhone HW to prevent people from considering a contract with another phone/carrier as their 2 years with AT&T will be up.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:

I don't think anyone is claiming that MMS/tethering is "going to be the star" of the iPhone OS 3.0. This article was just a possible tidbit of what is coming.

My point was that anyone can state the obvious. In this case the usual suspects are tethering, MMS, and cut and paste. However, I would like someone to come up with the news about the killer features that will be revealed on Tuesday. I guess since no one really expected this event means no one actually anything about it.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    Quote:

My biggest issue with SMS and MMS is that it's crappy technology that exorbitant rates. I think the whole thing is a scam and is a result of the cellular cartel price gouging the customer. If the cost is virtually zero why do they charge so much for 160 characters and the price keeps going up?

When I said "virtually zero cost" I meant for Apple to add the feature. It's a software thing only - no extra hardware.

I agree the phone companies are gouging on the SMS & MMS - pity Apple + Google can't help us bypass those fees.. but AT&T wouldn't allow that!

Quote:

I'm guessing we'll see a base OS of Snow Leopard for the next iPhone. I wonder if they will demo the next iPhone HW to prevent people from considering a contract with another phone/carrier as their 2 years with AT&T will be up.

Yeah absolutely. The Snow Leopard base is a key part of Apple's future. It could also be what's holding up an AppleTV 3.0.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:

Exactly. If Apple was able to reduce the Mac OS X footprint and improve performance with SL I think this is what they will do with iPhone OS 3.0. I also think that Apple will introduce a method for background applications and apps management.

Any guess on what the next iPhone will called? We already have iPhone and iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 16 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's a pain in the butt that it took this look (if true) to get MMS, as for a quite a few people it would be "handy to have". And it should be added. Having said that I personally don't use it.

Now, the list of feature that I might make use of? That's a longer list. Still curious why AI hasn't liked to this site in this report yet. It's a brilliant website, and I'm glad it exists.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

When I said "virtually zero cost" I meant for Apple to add the feature. It's a software thing only - no extra hardware.

Gotcha

Quote:

It could also be what's holding up an AppleTV 3.0.

I don't think SL is quite ready yet, but I think the real hold up for AppleTV is Atom paired with Nvidia's Ion. AnandTech tested some of the platform and found that high bitrate 1080p Blu-ray with H.264 or VC-1 was not possible, but older MPEG-2 Blu-ray or high-bit rate H.264 that isn't being pulled from an optical drive is possible, though not ideal. Certainly not good enough for Apple to include 1080p. Though it is much better and presumably cheaper than the special 1Ghz Intel and GMA950 currently being used in the AppleTV. It would at least allow for high-bit rate 720p, which will good enough for all but the most whiny posters here.

I do think it makes sense for the iPhone/Touch, Mac and AppleTV to be updated with Snow Leopard this year, though I'd expect that the AppleTV may still be on SL after OS X 10.7 comes out.

edit: The page about the Ion testing hs been removed. Anand states that they believe the results are wrong and he removed it. Maybe it can play high bitrate Blu-ray after all.
    Quote:

Any guess on what the next iPhone will called? We already have iPhone and iPhone 3G.

That is a good question. I have no ideas. You?
  • Reply 18 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE

History is the best yard stick. We went from iPod to iPod photo, and after that we had iPod again.

I'm guessing the next iPhone will be called "iPhone", with no second word in the name at all.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

My guess is they will go back to simply calling it the iPhone, much like they did with the iPod line. It was first the iPod, then the iPod color, then iPod video, then they started calling it simply the iPod again before moving on to the iPod Classic. I don't believe iPhone 3.0 will be the name (too much confusion for average customers with 3G) but keeping it simple and sticking with just "iPhone" would keep the primary brand relevant instead of having 3 different iPhones. It would still simply be "THE iPhone".

edit: Ireland, you beat me to it!
  • Reply 20 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

History is the best yard stick. We went from iPod to iPod photo, and after that we had iPod again.

I'm guessing the next iPhone will be called "iPhone", with no second word in the name at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

My guess is they will go back to simply calling it the iPhone, much like they did with the iPod line. It was first the iPod, then the iPod color, then iPod video, then they started calling it simply the iPod again before moving on to the iPod Classic. I don't believe iPhone 3.0 will be the name (too much confusion for average customers with 3G) but keeping it simple and sticking with just "iPhone" would keep the primary brand relevant instead of having 3 different iPhones. It would still simply be "THE iPhone".

Spooky!