iPhone 3.0 MMS, tethering rumored; Sirius XM iPhone app enroute

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are these other MMS features widely supported between other phones? If I were Apple, reluctantly wanting to support this lowgrade yet expensive feature, I would only support the basic picture sending.

I do find it odd that the iPhone can't send or receive vCards from (at the very least) email.

How big is MMS in China? Could this potential inclusion of MMS be due to a market Apple wishes to secure, the way it added Emoji to Japanese iPhones.

SMS and MMS are big in Europe. Really, no matter how much individual carriers decide to screw it customers, these are no brainer features in a modern cell. I can't remember having owned one that didn't support this for many many years.

In addition to those, and tethering, and OBVIOUSLY c&p, I hope global horizontal keyboard will be a feature, as well as horizontal view in Mail App. I have real problems reading my mail scrolling from side to side for each line. I use third party apps but they are clunky work arounds. Typing in vertical mode is difficult I find, but in horizontal view typing is a breeze.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Doesn't Apple claim OS X is the "world's most advanced operating system"? Doesn't the iPhone run on a mobile version of OS X?

Isn't copy & paste an original, base functionality of prehistoric computers?

I know I could copy & paste on my old CP/M Kaypro via a simple keystroke. But not 27 years later on my iPhone.

But how did you select the copy/paste with those machines. A fingered input touchscreen is a completely different beast and should not be implemented willy-nilly. If people hate having to remember a few simple clicks that I find very natural for the iPhone to use a Shuffle I can't wait to see people try to copy and paste on touchscreen that requires specialized finger tapping and holding. If you have huge fingers this may also be more on an issue.

PS: I suspect that next Tuesday's event will showcase a lengthy demonstration of how to use copy/paste.

Quote:

The biggest improvement (for me) would be the ability of the virtual keyboard to rotate horizontally to get larger, increasing the space between characters. My huge fingers have a difficult time on the iPhone's neonatal keyboard and constant errors make typing very frustrating.

I rally dislike the horizontal keyboard and the leftover space for typing, but I do see a need for it. Viewing rich text mail in landscape like I view Safari pages would be nice.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I don't see anything wrong with supporting the past

No idea what you are talking about. email is actually an older technology than SMS and MMS, so Apple supporting the past is pretty much right.

Plenty of mobile phones have had email clients for years before the iPhone, As I have said on here before, every single mobile I have owned since 2002 has had a good email client.

Maybe it is an American thing, American has always been backward when it comes to mobile networks. Europe has been using much better phones on much better networks forever. I had a 3G phone in 2002, with video calling, email client, web browsing and MMS.

MMS is a brilliant technology and perfect for what it does. It automatically scales your picture down to be perfect size for viewing on a phone screen before you send it to people.

It is real push and does not rely on an email server to be actually working to get to its recipient.

Emails are not instant, sometimes emails can take up to 15 mins to get to where they are going, MMS is instant,

Anyone gets MMS, even people who cannot be bothered setting up their email client on their phones or even people who do not have an email client on their phones.

I love the fact that this forum was full of people saying how Apple had re-invented the mobile phone and shown the world what to do. Now it seems Apple are just busy playing catch-up with the experts after all.

Funny how things turn around.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    Will this be a free update?
  • Reply 65 of 90
    djbetadjbeta Posts: 30member
    copy & paste: no brainer, should be included (though, I would only use it once a day or so)

video recording: no brainer: though, video quality tends to SUCCCCCK on most phones I've seen... BUT Cycorder-- ahem, seems to have pulled it off on the iPhone

Flash: no brainer, include it if you can figure out a way --- let the user decide to go to Flash websites and suck their battery if they want--- the cool Flash sites though would probably still not work fully --- like beatport.com or other "application" Flash sites

better camera: no brainer now.. I'd prefer a good quality 3Mpixel than a crappy 5Mpixel --- onr that has a flash and can take close-up and low-light pics well

task management/project management: I actually would use this if it was a really simple elegant UI

universal Inbox: I have 7 email accounts.. COME ON

better app management: I have 8 screens of apps... COME ON

background & push notification for apps: Apple may be somewhat limited here due to RAM constraints.. hopefully the next hardware will be able to handle the types of apps people want to use.

32 or 64Gb: i hope

Tether: sure, but they're going to make you PAY and it's (effectively) free now with jailbroken iphones-- just buy the PDANet app and that's it-- no service contract

-----

personally, I am quite happy with jailbroken iPhones I've seen.. you can tether , record video, and LOTS more

version 3.0 will have to be a tremendous set of software & hardware upgrades to woo tech-savvy folks who have jailbroken 3g iPhones

that all said, Apple is due.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Maybe I'm the bonehead here.

I'm sorry, but did you research the phone and it's features before you purchased it?
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w1n78 View Post

wow, if this ends up being true, the only thing i can complain about my iphone 3g is the garbage coverage at&t has

Yeah, that and the lack of a VIDEO CAMERA, along with copy/paste and push notifications. :-)
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w1n78 View Post

wow, if this ends up being true, the only thing i can complain about my iphone 3g is the garbage coverage at&t has

I'm sure the complainers will find more things to complain about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Yeah, that and the lack of a VIDEO CAMERA, along with copy/paste and push notifications. :-)

I hope push notifications are in place over background apps so I don't have to keep my IM client running constantly.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Yehaahaaaa! MMS. I enjoy getting raped in the butt by carriers charging me 10 dollars per MMS messages sent.

An extra 5 bucks- unlimited @ Verizon.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Quote:

I'm sure the complainers will find more things to complain about.

And one more thing for a fanboy to defend.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post

to the people who say they don't want iphone to support MMS. this kind of attitude is so obnoxious, there is no reason for it.

#1 i have dozens and dozens of friends, with simple T9 phones and no email or data plan support. they have no interest in getting a smartphone like me.

#2 it'll probably be another 3-5 years before phones with data plans become the norm, and even then you'll still have people walking around with on razers.

#3 if i happen to stumble across something and take a picture, MMS let's me share it with everyone, not just certain people.

i understand saying you want people to support email over MMS, and i get the fact that phone companies take advantage SMS and MMS charges. but saying you hope a phone doesn't support something, that wouldn't hurt you at all. that's just ridiculous. for those of us who have friends and family with older phones, i'll send/receive their media anyway i can. tell your friends not to send you MMS if you don't like it so much... but don't spoil it for the rest of us.

It's just the same ones who refuse to use Excel, meanwhile 99% of the world does. It's because whatever SJ says they tow the line. But now if SJ says MMS is cool - they'll be all for it.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Unlimited rape in the butt for 5 bucks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

• Reply 73 of 90
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Based on some of the statements and demands, it is obvious that a number of bloggers here don't quite know what they are talking about.

Any thought that MMS will be 'free' is wishful thinking. There could be a charge, some of it may just be accounted in your Data Plan, but those with Unlimited Plans, don't count on it.

Perhaps perusing through the attached article will help explain the matter. In particular, it is, has or will require considerable investment, a costly venture and as such, somebody will have to pay for it. Note that the article is a few years old and it is geared to the service providers, who unless it can generate profit, just doesn't work as well.

Understanding the Engine Behind MMS - Five elements necessary for efficient rollouts

http://wireless.sys-con.com/node/41440

Software to Rule the New Mobile Market http://wireless.sys-con.com/node/871808
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Yehaahaaaa! MMS. I enjoy getting raped in the butt by carriers charging me 10 dollars per MMS messages sent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Unlimited rape in the butt for 5 bucks.

It's all rape, but Verizon's $5 for unlimited MMS is like a priest copping a feel compared to AT&T's $5 for 200, $15 for 1500, and $20 for unlimited SMS which is more like that prision rape scene from American History X.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    True, very true.

Quote:

It's all rape, but Verizon's $5 for unlimited MMS is like a priest copping a feel compared to AT&T's $5 for 200, $15 for 1500, and $120 for unlimited SMS which is like that prision rape scene from American History X.

• Reply 76 of 90
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:

A fingered input touchscreen is a completely different beast and should not be implemented willy-nilly.

I think they passed the "willy-nilly" stage almost two years ago

Quote:

PS: I suspect that next Tuesday's event will showcase a lengthy demonstration of how to use copy/paste.

Here's hoping your prognostication skills are world class!

Quote:

I rally dislike the horizontal keyboard and the leftover space for typing, but I do see a need for it. Viewing rich text mail in landscape like I view Safari pages would be nice.

H or V, doesn't matter to me. I mean, the keyboard on my laptop is horizontal, and that one works fine. All I need is a little more space between the character icons. My fingers are so darned huge that I keep hitting 2 of those buttons at the same time. Makes typing a message maddening....
  • Reply 77 of 90
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I'm sorry, but did you research the phone and it's features before you purchased it?

Sure did. My wife wanted one for Christmas, so I bought two because AT&T doesn't count minutes between 2 phones on the same account. She wanted a phone + an iPod, so she wouldn't have to carry both anymore.

I thought I'd get used to the keyboard but it turns out there's just not enough physical space between the characters. If it rotated horizontally, it would be very helpful for me (my fingers are ginormous).

I also thought I'd find a way to get around copy & paste but it turns out it's just too inconvenient for my business. Now, this was something that for me had to be tried for a couple of weeks before any final evaluation could be made. There's no way I can handle and manage the volume of email on the iPhone that I handle on my BlackBerry without copy & paste.

So, I keep the BlackBerry for business, the day to day heavy lifting and virtually all communications. I use my iPhone to call and text my wife (exclusively), as an occasional iPod for music (can't watch video on that tiny screen - especially when there's a 54" 1080p HDTV in my family room!), and to show friends and family photographs of my grandchild and recent trips overseas

I've heard some rumors about AT&T maybe offering a non-data plan account for the iPhone....? That would be awesome for us because we never use our iPhones for email or internet access. Have never even been to the app store...

It's basically a phone+iPod for us, and I'm pleased because my wife loves hers and as long as she's happy, I'm happy. But you know, it still could be a much better instrument, and perhaps someday, I might be able to carry just the iPhone instead of hauling 2 phones around... ya never know!
  • Reply 78 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by millerm View Post

Will this be a free update?

For iPhone users, yes. Touch, no.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For iPhone users, yes. Touch, no.

Are you sure about that? The two year accounting model that makes the iPhone updates free will be coming up to 24 months this Summer. Though not everyone bought their original iPhone on day one. So how will deal with that? Can they determine by the IEMI when you bought the device? How will they prevent other iPhone owners from sharing the update? Perhaps they might not even bother until next year or just not offer it to original iPhone owners.

Perhaps Tuesday will be more than a demo but a release of v3.0, or have it come within the next few months to make the 24 month deadline (they'd still be allowed to offer bug fix updates). But why would do that for a phone that is so old and no longer under contract? Maybe the revenue sharing is still in effect for the original iPhones and Apple still gets revenue so long as the devices are still used? But they bit get more from a new sale? Perhaps the new OS will require newer core HW making even the current 3G iPhone eligible for the update, leaving it to only few new apps and bug fixes.

PS: I heard rumor that Apple has licensed MS' Start Button, this making it a true smartphone. :P
  • Reply 80 of 90
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    If they charged for it, wouldn't that cut income from the App store?

The iPhone/iPhone 3G have basically the same hardware.