Saving window settings?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

When I make changes to my Applications folder and reset all the changes I made to the folder are lost. How can I fix this? (icon size, arrangement etc.) I am the only user on this Mac and I am, of course, its admin.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by StateWolf:

<strong>Hi all,

When I make changes to my Applications folder and reset all the changes I made to the folder are lost. How can I fix this? (icon size, arrangement etc.) I am the only user on this Mac and I am, of course, its admin.

Thanks a lot!</strong><hr></blockquote>

look <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001066"; target="_blank">here</a>.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 8
    here are the solutions: <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001095"; target="_blank">Unix geek needed</a>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Of course, the real answer is pay $129 for Mac OS X 10.2, where this issue should finally be fixed.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>Of course, the real answer is pay $129 for Mac OS X 10.2, where this issue should finally be fixed. </strong><hr></blockquote>

uh, sorry belle for not finding the right solution on the start...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Actually, Belle, the problem is *not* with Mac OS X of any version. The file is behaving exactly as it should, given the permissions. Most likely, either an installer with root access has overwritten the .DS_Store file or the user has tinkered with root and accidentally changed the permission himself.

If the installer did it, well, that's the fault of the idiot that made the installer. Lots of people who distribute those "themes" for X forget to remove their own .DS_Store file from each level of the hierarchy and thus end up killing the user's settings.

Alternatively, you could try Apple's Repair Privileges utility.

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Actually, Belle, the problem is *not* with Mac OS X of any version. The file is behaving exactly as it should, given the permissions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Brad, you're absolutely right. I misread the post and thought it was a complaint about icons and folder views not staying put.

Sorry, I'm tired and my brain has turned to mush.

[Edit: Actually, now I'm mad again. $129 to make sure view preferences work and icons stay where you put them?! Grrr.]

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Belle, you were right when you re-read it... this isn't a 10.1/10.2 issue, it's a .DS_Store file getting screwed up by an installer or user issue.

Brad is correct. 10.2 has nothing to do with this, really, and I'd be rather surprised if it makes a difference one way or another.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that $129 plunked down for *anything* was going to fix this.

(Whoo-hoo! Moderator smack-down frenzy! )

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Yeah, lots of Themes screw it up, forcing me to go back to root and reset all the .DS_Stores to column view. Pity if anyone who uses my comp wants icon/list view

Barto