Over 80 bug fixes due in Mac OS X 10.5.7 "Juno"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday evening made available to its developer community yet another pre-release of Mac OS X 10.5.7, which stands to be the seventh maintenance and security update to the company's Leopard operating system in less than 18 months.

The new beta, reportedly labeled Mac OS X 10.5.7 build 9J30, is believed to be just the third external distribution of the impending software release provided to third-party application developers, with roughly the first two dozen builds having been evaluated in-house.

People familiar with the new build say it bundles an updated version of Adobe's Flash Player while delivering five additional bug fixes, bringing the total number of code corrections expected as part of Mac OS X 10.5.7 to over 80.

Among those areas of the system most recently addressed were iChat, the CoreGraphics framework, iCal, and the HFS+ file system. Earlier builds had reportedly reflected a strong focus on a broad range of syncing bugs and cookie issues within Safari.

To the best of their knowledge, those familiar with the beta software say Apple has yet to narrow a list of core target areas in which developers have been asked to direct their evaluation efforts, suggesting additional pre-release builds may be in the cards before the software hits the final candidate stage that precedes a release to the general public.

Arriving in tandem on Thursday was an identically-numbered build of Mac OS X 10.5.7 Server, those people say. The work-in-progess release is said to pack just over a couple dozen fixes with a focus area spanning just nine core components. Among them are Calendar Server, Podcast Producer and Network Image Utility.

As was reported last week, Mac OS X 10.5.7 is believed to be referenced internally by the codename "Juno" or "Project Juno."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    Why did they bother giving this service update a codename? I don't remember reading about Apple code-naming their other minor releases.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Two problems that have been plaguing me appear to have not been addressed in Mac OS X 10.5.7. Both problems load down my cpu(s) to 95-98% and where system performace is terrible. The 2 processes are hdiutil and twp applets. They both get initiated at various times and continue running until a force-quit the processes. Anyone hear of any resolution for these 2 problems ?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

Why did they bother giving this service update a codename? I don't remember reading about Apple code-naming their other minor releases.

They all have code-names, they just aren't widely reported anymore.

K
  • Reply 4 of 48
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonepalm View Post

Two problems that have been plaguing me appear to have not been addressed in Mac OS X 10.5.7. Both problems load down my cpu(s) to 95-98% and where system performace is terrible. The 2 processes are hdiutil and twp applets. They both get initiated at various times and continue running until a force-quit the processes. Anyone hear of any resolution for these 2 problems ?

Never heard of that, and my Mac does not have hdiutil as a running process. Must be something that you installed. Don't know what the two unknown applets are that you mention. Do you know if they are processes included with 10.5.7? Sounds like you have access to the developer build, if so, report it to Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    How about the permissions issue with Time Machine on external drives (or at least on Drobos)? I can't go a day without getting a message that my backup failed because the target drive is read only. Checking drive info in Finder shows no such problem. I've given up and turned Time Machine off.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonepalm View Post

These don't sound like Apple processes to me. Maybe they are from something else you installed at one point?

If you always turn it off your computer when you are finished with it, I would recommend leaving it on overnight at least once or twice. There are a few processes that take that opportunity to do cleanup jobs that you may be preventing from running but even they shouldn't be hogging the processor like that.

Sounds way more likely that this is from some other program to me.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

These don't sound like Apple processes to me. Maybe they are from something else you installed at one point?

If you always turn it off your computer when you are finished with it, I would recommend leaving it on overnight at least once or twice. There are a few processes that take that opportunity to do cleanup jobs that you may be preventing from running but even they shouldn't be hogging the processor like that.

Sounds way more likely that this is from some other program to me.

Actually hdiutil ships with os x. I use it to compact sparse image files.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I'm just hoping it fixes my problems with dula-link DVI -- the monitor flashes and goes crazy about every 10 minutes, and then I need to either put the computer to sleep or unplug and replug the monitor.

very irritating, and extremely impacting on my productivity.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member
    Three things that bother me from 10.5.6:

1. The two finger gesture to make something bigger doesn't work in coverflow anymore.

2. The currency converter widget stopped working correctly (I know it can be fixed, but taking into consideration that 10.5.7 is so near, I'll wait and see if they get it fixed first, and if not, I'll do the manual work).

3. The BlueTooth still freezes randomly when I use my Toshiba BlueTooth mouse. It rarely happens, but the fact is that it does happen, I don't care if it's only a few times a month, it's still annoying to have to reboot manually so that the mouse will work again (5 seconds pressing the Power button). Oh, and it's never frozen when in Windows XP (bootcamp).
  • Reply 10 of 48
    oseameoseame Posts: 73member
    before I can install 10.5.7 on my OD server, I need to know that the issues with SMB in 10.5.6 are gone - anyone?

I'm guessing they're ashamed that iCal server is not fit for use in leopard and want to patch it up till it's useable at least before snow leopard is released :P
  • Reply 11 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What about cut and paste?.... I'm kidding! I'm kidding!
  • Reply 12 of 48
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oseame View Post

I need to know that the issues with SMB in 10.5.6 are gone - anyone?

Also that, yeah. I see all the Windows PCs in my home, but they can't see me :-S They used to be able to so it must have been some 10.5.x patch thing.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    notrsnotrs Posts: 46member
    Quote:

What about cut and paste?.... I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

• Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

Also that, yeah. I see all the Windows PCs in my home, but they can't see me :-S They used to be able to so it must have been some 10.5.x patch thing.

Or fixing the issue where Windows machines using files on a 10.5.6 share being all buggy in terms of permissions. You get one shot at saving a file/folder to the server, after that you are denied access, even if you logged in as an Administrator. It worked fine in Tiger. In fact, can we just see the whole area of networking re-done and fixed so we don't have to wait a long time to access other computers? So flaky!

I did fix my personal issue with a few unintelligible lines of code in Terminal.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

Why not just refer to it as 10.5.7 internally? Makes more sense than having to remember what build "Juno" referred to.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    How 'bout fixing the skipping first keystroke (aka ELP) issue finally?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    What I am curious about is Safari 4 Beta only working on 10.5.6

If Apple releases 10.5.7 they better have it working with Safari 4.

On a side note, FireFox 3.1b3 is super fast!
  • Reply 18 of 48
    ...if this update allowed my iMac to go to sleep like it's supposed to
  • Reply 19 of 48
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    By now, I hope these bugs are ones that almost nobody ever experiences....
  • Reply 20 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

What I am curious about is Safari 4 Beta only working on 10.5.6

If Apple releases 10.5.7 they better have it working with Safari 4.

On a side note, FireFox 3.1b3 is super fast!

Beta 2.