Apple sued over exploding iPod touch, iMac display issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

You're obviously a Republican.

I'm not a Republican and I think having the wrong name for the device in question is a serious oversight. The courts shouldn't move forward until the documents are corrected. Courts works on specifics. If you lawsuit is about an iPod Touch issue you can't just start throwing other iPods and iPhones into the mix, you also can't start including anything with a battery that may have gone faulty. If you find that CE from many vendors ate flawed because of a battery or circuitboatd from a particular battery supplier, that is fine but you'll have disclose it accurately.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I find it amazing that people can give Apple the benefit of the doubt regarding the Touch story despite it being on the same page as the iMac story. Don't you conservatives believe people should be responsible for their actions? If Apple hurt someone or built a crappy product, they should own up to it and do the right thing. You people are so brainwashed by the corporate media: Individuals = bad, corporations = good. Disgusting!!!

I don't know where this liberal v. conservative sentiment is coming from. The iMac display issue is well known, while the exploding "iTouch" issue is not. It had nothing to do with corporations v individuals, otherwise we'd be scratching our heads about the validity of the iMac story, too.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    Although I think there are way too many frivolous lawsuits out there, I believe both of these are actual good ones.

The iPod burned the kid's leg! Off the production line there are the occasional bad units. Apparently this kid got one of those that oddly passed through QC. Apple should be held responsible, given they find nothing tampered or 3rd party issue (and you cannot include software since Apple checks all software before it goes out to these devices). I don't think that would be the case. And in comparison, 75,000 is not that much money. Depending on surgeries done, a good chunk of that will go towards Medical Expenses.

This was a case where someone was physically hurt by a product in a fashion that is uncommon. The case is valid I think. I find it sick that there are those who jump to other conclusions to make it not Apple's fault. Personally, I'd like to know how the device was used, and find out what the court has to say as to who is at fault. If they find the kid at fault, then I'll back that up. We need more info! But from the sound of it, it seems like a faulty product. Apple should be held responsible.

As for the second. The display in all the iMacs is hard to replace. If it was a simple fix (aka, buy a new display, or buy a new graphics card) I would have more of a problem with this. Since the display is built into the computer, it will make it so if one part goes bad, you have lost an entire computer till the repair is made. True, 2006 is three years ago, just outside the warranty time, but still, the computers SHOULD be lasting this long. (Of course, my 2006 MBP graphics died in much of the same fashion. I was just outside warranty by a month and I didn't sign up for Apple Care. I ended up selling the machine for parts and never buying an Apple product again! QC as evident by both these cases, is lacking recently. Especially for how much people pay for the products. If this were Dell, I think there'd be a lot less issues because of a lot lower price paid for product/service)
  • Reply 24 of 127
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I wonder if he had change in his pocket and a dime or nickel wound up in the docking port and shorted the battery somehow. Of course you would think that it would have happened before if it was change.

Anybody want to cram change into their iPod to try it

Do it all the time to my poor first generation iphone and so far no flames. In light of this new development I think I need to move from carrying it in my front pocket to a hip holster case. A fire that hot in my front pocket is way to close to the twig and giggle berries to risk this not being a one time thing.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

People are so pathetic. I bet she is overweight and barely has a high school education.

Hey us fat people are perfectly able to read and get a G.E.D. Why assume she is fat and stupid unless there is a trailer park, a tornado and live broadcast from said trailer park?

For those of you outside of the USA or who are not familiar with this stereotype when ever there is a tornado in the USA in a poorer part of the country the tornado seems to always hit a trailer park and the news people always seem to find some large, curler toting, mumu wearing fat and ignorant slob that they interview.
  • Reply 26 of 127
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

People are so pathetic. I bet she is overweight and barely has a high school education.

So in other words, a bit like your kind self.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    If its the screen I don't think its that hard to replace. I have been inside my late 2006 imac and could replace a screen in that one in probably 15 minutes. Out of curiosity I searched for a replacement panel and the price is around 800 dollars. If its a video card well you are s.o.l. What surprises me is that I find it hard to believe apple is not standing behind their product and fixing it. I would think it would be obvious if this is a customer abuse or neglect problem versus a chronically failing part. A all in one with screens that are chronically failing in around one year is not acceptable. If apple believes it is not their fault they could at least make it easier to buy replacement parts. Imho.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Once your butt has been exploded by an iPod, it must be hard to ever trust again.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    It's a shame that so many on this board are idiots. It certainly keeps me away. I certainly do not mean everyone!

You do something that hurt my child, you'd better run, cause buddy, you're gonna be wearin' a SCAR!

We're lucky that in this country we have the screwed up legal system that we do, to take care of these "differences". I think I made it apparently clear, that I don't believe in any profiteering company's right, to scar a child!

While I did read today, because my alum. iMac does suffer from some vertical "waviness" especially towards the ends. I think it's "just the way it is", and am not interested in a suit of any kind. I'm very happy and might say, proud of my iMac.

I'm also happy and proud for this youngster's mother, who is wise enough to stand up for the child in a court of law! Shame, on any of you Over-Educated Idiots, who just don't get it!

(Btw) it don't mean squat about how the lawyer spelled it in the complaint.

Good thing, lots of your stupid arsed opines don't mean diddly!
  • Reply 30 of 127
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Once your butt has been exploded by an iPod, it must be hard to ever trust again.

In that case then, you may need this:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5169847/for-5-y...s-with-an-ipod
  • Reply 31 of 127
    egz4u2egz4u2 Posts: 5member
    The vertical lines issue affects ALL 17" displays. Powerbook G4's, all starting with W85 serial numbers. Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony, all recalled or replaced screens from LG model number LP171W01 - defective. Search vertical lines in Apple forums, unbelievable!

I need a new notebook, considering a PC which is supposed to be junk - Dell would reimburse me, not Apple (!)

The iMac was actually redesigned to make LCD a USER SERVICEABLE PART after this fiasco....

Powerbook G4, and 17" Intel MB/iMac owners can get a 1/2 off deal only $329 to replace screen.... but shouldn't they replace it free???
  • Reply 32 of 127
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

No, she's not like you, loser. If those facts are true, Apple is lucky she's only suing for $75,000. If it happened to you, you'd be whining forever, and asking for a million or more. Moron.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

If its the screen I don't think its that hard to replace. I have been inside my late 2006 imac and could replace a screen in that one in probably 15 minutes. Out of curiosity I searched for a replacement panel and the price is around 800 dollars. If its a video card well you are s.o.l. What surprises me is that I find it hard to believe apple is not standing behind their product and fixing it. I would think it would be obvious if this is a customer abuse or neglect problem versus a chronically failing part. A all in one with screens that are chronically failing in around one year is not acceptable. If apple believes it is not their fault they could at least make it easier to buy replacement parts. Imho.

That's the main reasons I'm not buying a new iMac right now, which I really want. Even the newer iMacs (the 2008s) have screen issues for some people - uneven light coverage). Until I'm convinced the screens are decent, I'm not buying.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

That's the main reasons I'm not buying a new iMac right now, which I really want. Even the newer iMacs (the 2008s) have screen issues for some people - uneven light coverage). Until I'm convinced the screens are decent, I'm not buying.

They're not LEDs and they're glare monsters.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    This display is really in bad shape. I notice when watching the video there was also this horrible sweaking sound.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    I have a second gen iPod Touch and a 2006 iMac Intel exactly like the products mentioned in the article. So far, both are working flawlessly (knock on wood).
  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 25+ years on a Mac View Post

I have a second gen iPod Touch and a 2006 iMac Intel exactly like the products mentioned in the article. So far, both are working flawlessly (knock on wood).

Watch out, having working Apple products that fit your needs is more than enough ammo for certain posters on this forum to call you a 'fanboy' and an 'Apple apologist'. Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Watch out, having working Apple products that fit your needs is more than enough ammo for certain posters on this forum to call you a 'fanboy' and 'Apple apologist'. Welcome to AI.

Did you buy your new shuffle yet?
  • Reply 39 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

No, she's not like you, loser. If those facts are true, Apple is lucky she's only suing for $75,000. If it happened to you, you'd be whining forever, and asking for a million or more. Moron.

No only simple minded self entitled moron Americans can stoop so low as to steel that kind of money from a company like Apple. She is obviously just trying to make a quick buck at Apple's expense. If this happened to my child I would notify Apple about the issue and at most expect a new iPod Touch. By they way what a stupid assumption on your part. That lady is exactly what is wrong with this country. It's sad...

By the way I agree it was probably something in his pocket like a paper clip that jumped the terminals on the dock connection... "Hey kid if your iPod is hot pull it out of your pocket." ...but then again, the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it? Thought...maybe she is related to the McDonald's hot coffee lady...inbreeding maybe? Likely.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    Quote:

No only simple minded self entitled moron Americans can stoop so low as to steel that kind of money from a company like Apple. She is obviously just trying to make a quick buck at Apple's expense. If this happened to my child I would notify Apple about the issue and at most expect a new iPod Touch. By they way what a stupid assumption on your part. That lady is exactly what is wrong with this country. It's sad...

I bet it's the OctoMom.