Apple sued over exploding iPod touch, iMac display issues

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    [QUOTE=ericblr;1390559]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

Right.

So, Momma filed suit.

She's gonna hafto prove her case, for her child.

Lastly I was speaking out against the mentality that seems to exist where people want to blame the corporation first. Yes, by all means, lets hear the complete case and see where it goes. I have my doubts and thats what I was saying.

From what I heard on a local tech show in Houston, the kid had the ipod in his pocket sitting down in class, and he very well could have been sitting on it or putting some kind of external strain on it. Kids are notorious for not taking care of their electronics, especially American kids.

As it stands, there have been no other reported cases of this happening, and if other instances crop up, then I would start to doubt the stability of the product

--Eric

Just my 2 cents worth:

1 cent: About the iMac screen problem law suit: What happened to Americans, when did we get so spoiled that we would buy a computer which is guaranteed for one year, and have the insane balls to sue the company 4 years later to get a new one for free because we expect to be able to pass a one year computer down to our great great grandchildren as if we just bought it???

2 cents: about the "exploding" iPod Touch, which apparently did not explode, and very likely did not catch fire. Second degree burns means he got some blisters, there should be no scars,and they will need to have taken pictures to prove the blisters. (I hope the mom isn't so greedy that she decides to re-burn the kid to get more money!) Also, the kid, if as is reported one place, was sitting on it, got what he deserved for being stupid. Apple cannot afford to make an iPod that is bulletproof, and has an unbreakable spine that will not bend or deform if it is sat upon!

Now, don't conclude that I'm assuming this is true, nor that the burns did not happen, I'm just trying to give a broader perspective, until we hear actual facts as revealed in court. Meanwhile, maybe AppleInsider should NOT use such inflammatory terms as "exploded," when clearly after reading the article, that's not what happened!

Best wishes, and I hope justice wins out.
  • Reply 102 of 127
    ttupperttupper Posts: 39member
    123 delete me
  • Reply 103 of 127
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Save those iPods!

Doesn't anyone watch "Mission Impossible"?
  • Reply 104 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Dude your posts are disturbingly violent!!

Could you cutout your over-the-top racist comments, please?! This is your second attack against this poster, and it's not appropriate.

This is a Mac forum where Apple enthusiasts share their thoughts...

Say what? I don't want to go back and read 100+ posts to see what else he wrote, but clearly in your post quoting him & telling him not to continue with racist comments, there are NO racist comments! Maybe he's over the top in threatening violence, but I don't see anything racist about insulting someone's intelligence, unless you think that that automatically implies only one particular race? And if that is true, you are either racist yourself, or have been a victim of racism and are over-reacting, in which case, maybe you should reevaluate how you react to "normal" situations, or talk to more people of different racial groups. I've done that and been amazed to see how nearly identical we all are! We all have the same fears and desires, but I have known a few people who were "reverse racists," because they had been treated so badly in their lives by a particular racial group. I know one black woman who hearing something related to racism on the radio or news made a statement to the effect that they should just kill off all the white people because they had caused virtually all the problems on Earth! Of course, if she could have calmed down a little, and thought about how some of the related nearby tribes of her ancestors had acted, she would have realized that they in fact were the ones who sold her ancestors into slavery! And realizing that, hopefully have realized that there are rotten disgusting human beings in every racial group, and that we should blame individuals and social systems that encourage unethical behavior (like the social environment in the company Enron), and not blame any group or race as a whole.
  • Reply 105 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdavid911 View Post

Say what? I don't want to go back and read 100+ posts to see what else he wrote, but clearly in your post quoting him & telling him not to continue with racist comments, there are NO racist comments! Maybe he's over the top in threatening violence, but I don't see anything racist about insulting someone's intelligence, unless you think that that automatically implies only one particular race? And if that is true, you are either racist yourself, or have been a victim of racism and are over-reacting, in which case, maybe you should reevaluate how you react to "normal" situations, or talk to more people of different racial groups. I've done that and been amazed to see how nearly identical we all are! We all have the same fears and desires, but I have known a few people who were "reverse racists," because they had been treated so badly in their lives by a particular racial group. I know one black woman who hearing something related to racism on the radio or news made a statement to the effect that they should just kill off all the white people because they had caused virtually all the problems on Earth! Of course, if she could have calmed down a little, and thought about how some of the related nearby tribes of her ancestors had acted, she would have realized that they in fact were the ones who sold her ancestors into slavery! And realizing that, hopefully have realized that there are rotten disgusting human beings in every racial group, and that we should blame individuals and social systems that encourage unethical behavior (like the social environment in the company Enron), and not blame any group or race as a whole.

Thanks drdavid911,

I do apologize for sounding as angry as I did, BUT<

I will never meet said person in real life.

And, it's a general warning.

The courts, and therefore, the People,

will Always, naturally respond to "Defend Children"...

This guy, actually said he would harm my children, in the face,

if they did something stupid or foolish.

(Not quoting, but, What child, or adult for that matter, have you ever known to NOT do something foolish or stupid? Or, whatever he said that he would harm them for?)

I'm amazed at the amount of stupidity that exists on this forum.

Yea, ya'll tried some software, and own a computer.

BIG DEAL!

What's that make you, if you can sit by idly, while someone threatens a child?

It makes you WORTHLESS!

M.O.

PS Sorry if you don't like my diagnoses...
  • Reply 106 of 127
    inameiname Posts: 5member
    I'm not an american, so i don't no your slang-talking. but what does "eF'n Forign Loser" mean?

\

Quote:

Buddy, then,

YOU'd Be Wearin' the Scar!

And, rightly so, for being so F'n Stoopid!

You whack my kid, I whack you dead. No more said. UNDERSTAND??? OBOMBUSBOY?

Don't F with me, you Anulsadkarian!

This woman's child was hurt by an Apple product.

According to "This Country's" laws, she has the right to bring suit, which she did.

According to my own law, I have a right to Scar you dead, for touching my child! BEWARE, ME!

You stoopid fool!

You're dam lucky this is an internet forum!

Regardless, the nice lady is doing the correct thing, and all you "fanboys" don't like it! Hah! Hey, guess what? I hate MS. I buy Apple. But, they hurt my child, They will pay, like anyone else!

Wise up, and get a grip on the law. Before you're Forced To! Hear me? Read me? Loud and clear? Good.

Then Shut UP!

WE PROTECT OUR CHILDREN HERE, FIRST, AND FOREMOST. GO HOME!

Anyone hurts a child in this country, must beware. Even if the child acted foolishly. Get it?

Got it?

Good..

That's the law that my business's have abided by for decades, and I'm glad.

You want to participate in this country, get used to it, and, carry the proper insurance, or, stand to "Daddy's Wrath".

You numbskull..

That's the way it works in America!

Love it,

Or,

Leave it!

You eF'n Forign Loser!

Nice chat.

Done with you.

Later,

Not.

M.O.

F.O.

• Reply 107 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by egz4u2 View Post

Dell would reimburse me, not Apple (!)

No, they wouldn't. I speak from experience. I had a similar problem with a Latitude D800, literally 36 days after the three-year warranty expired. They would not cover it, reimburse it, anything.

Since the problem would happen when the unit was cold, and tend to go away when it was warm, I decided it was a bad contact somewhere on the panel. I first assumed it was the cable that goes through the hinge, but I replaced it and that wasn't it. However, as I was moving things around with the machine running, I noticed that if I applied pressure on the left side of the panel, the problem went away.

So I experimented to find the optimal pressure point and applied some scotch tape to it. Problem solved. I never did find out why the contact was poor. I assume either hairline fractures in one or more conductors on the flexible circuit board, or in solder joints. The "repair" was effective at least for several months. After that, I lost track of the machine.

There is no question in my mind that this is a manufacturing defect. It's the result of the industry continually low balling suppliers, who in turn cut corners.
  • Reply 108 of 127
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It's a shame that so many on this board are idiots. It certainly keeps me away. I certainly do not mean everyone!

If I may speak frankly, given how you're writing, I will assume so. I don't think you would be missed, based on what you've been writing. If keeping away from this forum is a threat you're making, I think that's the one threat you probably should carry out.

Quote:

I think I made it apparently clear, that I don't believe in any profiteering company's right, to scar a child!

Are you suggesting that Apple deliberately hurts children? That's the best I can make of it. If so, that's absurd.

Some of your writing is quite interesting, I can't say for sure that you're like this, but you do remind me of the archetype of parent that lets their children become obnoxious and destructive, but get mad when anyone tries to do anything about it, even just a simple half hour sitting in detention.
  • Reply 109 of 127
    Quote:

Say what? I don't want to go back and read 100+ posts to see what else he wrote......

Actually, you'd have to read only about 20.
  • Reply 110 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttupper View Post

Have you used windows 7?

My good man, that was not the point of my post. My god. It's about the gap between the two operating systems being narrowed for the average user at a terrible time when Apple refuses to accept responsibility for its mess ups with the late '06 iMacs and how that relates to my folks and my efforts to keep them with Apple.

YES! I've always used both Windows boxes and Macs and chances are, considering where I live and who I know, I quite likely got to fiddle around with 7 long before you did. I prefer my Macs, but even on the MacBook I'm using now, Windows 7 is installed under Boot Camp using the Vista drivers.

1. Windows 7 is a world of difference from Vista and is better than XP. The bar is an improvement and if you don't understand that, chances are it's because you're thinking too much "dock" rather than taking it for what it is - or thinking about the average end user.

2. What does the default wallpaper matter? Is that really such a big "feature" for you!?

3. It is FASTER. My heavens, you claim to have used it? It's all around FASTER than Vista. I have never read or heard anyone claim 7 to be slower than Vista and the fact that you said it makes me think that either something is royally messed up on your machine, or you haven't used it.

Look, I prefer Leopard to 7 and I'm bound to prefer Snow Leopard to 7, but let's tell it as it is.

AND LET US REMEMBER THAT THAT WASN'T THE POINT OF MY POST

Geez.
  • Reply 111 of 127
    Oops, delete.
  • Reply 112 of 127
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Wow. Exploding iPods to raving racist posts to now Windows7.

This thread must be the most... weird we've had in quite a few weeks.

Cheers

-Mr. Unspellable Name (That's why I use "nvidia2008").
  • Reply 113 of 127
    Ah, spare the rod and spoil the child? The old debate.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    Quote:

Say what? I don't want to go back and read 100+ posts to see what else he wrote, but clearly in your post quoting him & telling him not to continue with racist comments, there are NO racist comments! Maybe he's over the top in threatening violence, but I don't see anything racist about insulting someone's intelligence, unless you think that that automatically implies only one particular race?

I wasn't sure myself, but I went back and re-read the posts in question a couple times. When someone replies to anilsudhakaran as "Mr. Anal whatever" or "mister unspellable name", I think that racism may well be a fair charge, especially when copy and paste or less inflammatory personal pronouns clearly could have been used. I have removed most of the references just now so hopefully it doesn't get even more out of hand.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If I may speak frankly, given how you're writing, I will assume so. I don't think you would be missed, based on what you've been writing. If keeping away from this forum is a threat you're making, I think that's the one threat you probably should carry out.

Are you suggesting that Apple deliberately hurts children? That's the best I can make of it. If so, that's absurd.

Some of your writing is quite interesting, I can't say for sure that you're like this, but you do remind me of the archetype of parent that lets their children become obnoxious and destructive, but get mad when anyone tries to do anything about it, even just a simple half hour sitting in detention.

Even after an edit, this is the best you could do, Jeff moderator?

What is it, specifically about my writing that you find so interesting, especially to make you think that I'm one of those "archetype" parents that you describe? (btw, they annoy me too, I just wanted to know what made you think me that way?)

My children are grown, successful and respectful, in their twenties and own many properties and doing very well, because of (in part) MY upbringing. I think all children are wonderful, and deserve the best parents they can have.

I did take some classes on child-rearing, and there is no reason, usually for corporal punishment. What us adult-parents like to call it, is "Natural Consequence". Just like Real Life! Cool, huh?

That you think I'm trying to say that Apple, or any other company is trying to "deliberately" hurt children is, as you say, Absurd!

Where the heck did you get that?

For anyone who could possibly still be interested, this is where it began:

"If your kid did something stupid I would whack him/her right on the face."

Someone says something like this, to me, and YOU have no comment on it? You instead, pick on me, for being agitated?

Gimme a break!

If you truly are a moderator here, I think your superior(s) needs to check what you write.

I think, they'd find YOUR writings "interesting"! Check your moral compass, AND the law!

You will all find, that it's the courts job to "find facts", that's called "discovery".

It will be determined if the kid was a "jerk" who deserved to get scarred for life, (as so many here think) or, if somewhere in the design/manufacturing process was there a flaw? Of this one, or many of the itouch's.

Apple and the boy, I trust, will both receive a fair trial.

With all the facts we have to work with, how could ANYONE HERE Opine on it more than that?

M.O.
  • Reply 116 of 127
    these suits are great, if the ipod touch really did explode then the lady deserves everything she will get and more for having the guts to stand up to it.

The iMac display is disgraceful, I have a friend with the same problem, lines everywhere. Apple have been shameful in their service.

According to an ex-employee they have just been told to deny everything. Hope they get taken for millions...
  • Reply 117 of 127
    parsecparsec Posts: 37member
    Deary deary me. There's some absolute crap being spouted on the last three pages.

Why does it always seem that discussions around issues with Apple products always result in mass arguments, as if some people in the Apple community are unable to accept that there might be a problem with Apple products.

I'm witholding judgement on the iPhone issue, it sounds like an isolated incident to me.

As for the white iMacs having that screen problem, well it looks clear that there is a problem and Apple should do something for their users. I would expect a quality product like an Apple computer to last more than 2-3 years. After all, you dummies, why do you think that Apple products hold their used values so well, which we all benefit from? It's because their products are durable and the OS isn't full of spyware and crapware, so people pay good money for them 2nd hand. So we all stand to lose if something like this isn't sorted out.

Before anyone damns me as a MS/Windows junkie, I have a number of Apple products in my house including a 24" Alu iMac which I'm very happy with.
  • Reply 118 of 127
    You had a right to be agitated but I think your responses were over the top. Your debate has more to do with corporal punishment (which I believe still exists all over the "civilised" parts of the world, American or un-American or otherwise).

In any case this whole thread has been so totally derailed it seems to have been rendered useless.

Quote:

Even after an edit, this is the best you could do, Jeff moderator?

What is it, specifically about my writing that you find so interesting, especially to make you think that I'm one of those "archetype" parents that you describe? (btw, they annoy me too, I just wanted to know what made you think me that way?)

My children are grown, successful and respectful, in their twenties and own many properties and doing very well, because of (in part) MY upbringing. I think all children are wonderful, and deserve the best parents they can have.

I did take some classes on child-rearing, and there is no reason, usually for corporal punishment. What us adult-parents like to call it, is "Natural Consequence". Just like Real Life! Cool, huh?

That you think I'm trying to say that Apple, or any other company is trying to "deliberately" hurt children is, as you say, Absurd!

Where the heck did you get that?

For anyone who could possibly still be interested, this is where it began:

"If your kid did something stupid I would whack him/her right on the face."

Someone says something like this, to me, and YOU have no comment on it? You instead, pick on me, for being agitated?

Gimme a break!

If you truly are a moderator here, I think your superior(s) needs to check what you write.

I think, they'd find YOUR writings "interesting"! Check your moral compass, AND the law!

You will all find, that it's the courts job to "find facts", that's called "discovery".

It will be determined if the kid was a "jerk" who deserved to get scarred for life, (as so many here think) or, if somewhere in the design/manufacturing process was there a flaw? Of this one, or many of the itouch's.

Apple and the boy, I trust, will both receive a fair trial.

With all the facts we have to work with, how could ANYONE HERE Opine on it more than that?

M.O.

• Reply 119 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You had a right to be agitated but I think your responses were over the top. Your debate has more to do with corporal punishment (which I believe still exists all over the "civilised" parts of the world, American or un-American or otherwise).

It was the kind of response that I was concerned about. A debate is fine, but we don't need people that get rabid when their "hot button" issue comes up and people hold views they disagree with.

Quote:

In any case this whole thread has been so totally derailed it seems to have been rendered useless.

Pretty much.
  • Reply 120 of 127
    Hmm.. how is this clearly an Intel-based model? I don't see anything from the video that shows one or the other. The iSight was introduced to the iMac in the final G5 model (1.9 and 2.1GHz).