When it breaks after the warranty has expired... what to do?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I am desperately in search for help and some orientation regarding what to do next.

After 1 year and 4 months of use, my mid-2007 Macbook has broke. Apparently the LogicBoard is not working properly and it won't boot. Since I'm Brazil, it's even MORE expensive to get a new LogicBoard. Considering it costs around U$400 (about half the price of a new Macbook these days) I don't know what to do.

I know shit happens and I've always taken very good care of my Macbook, but is there anything you would do if your Mac broke just a bit after the warranty expired? I really wish I had had the money to buy an AppleCare protection plan cause now I have a dead Macbook and I don't know what to do.

Is there any point in trying to contact Apple about it? And if so, HOW should I contact them? Is there any e-mail or something. I'm really sad and desperate knowing it saved a lot of money and spent all my savings into buying a new notebook that lasted less than 1 year and a half.

I need suggestions please. Thanks for the attention.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    You can sometimes find people who do the repair cheaper on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/REPAIR-your-MACB...QQcmdZViewItem

You should verify that it's your logic board though - it may be a broken power supply that isn't charging the battery. In fact, I've even seen Macbooks refuse to boot when the battery failed even though the power cable was in. Macbooks batteries are having a lot of problems.

Push the button on the battery to see if the green lights come on.

If they come on, then it could be something else. Another thing to try would be to remove the battery and power adaptor and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Then try booting it up.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    I would buy a new warranty and simply go to the store and tell them it started messing with you.

I've done it before.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377 - if it's the video issue, it should be little or NO cost!

you can only put applecare on the first year. after that, you are SOL.

an authorized service center MIGHT be able to look into it if not the video. if it's a NVIDIA graphics issue, it's a good chance at getting repaired at no cost.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377 - if it's the video issue, it should be little or NO cost!

you can only put applecare on the first year. after that, you are SOL.

an authorized service center MIGHT be able to look into it if not the video. if it's a NVIDIA graphics issue, it's a good chance at getting repaired at no cost.

i would assume its a macbook with gma seeing its a year old
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    @Thomas-

well, he didn't say exactly which machine he had, so I posted that just in case. non-savvy people sometimes just call them a macbook... but if indeed it's just a 13" macbook, then he'll have to get it fixed.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    If you're in Rio get mario jorge to advise you.

I think it's [email protected], and his phone is 8103-6817