Apple criticized for iPod shuffle's new 'authentication chip'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

btw, you should know by now that the next iPhone and iPod touch will use these remote controls

Yeah, but they won't be required in order to control playback.

I just think the minimalism went too far on this one. But the market will decide.
  • Reply 42 of 238
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What media assault? The only story the media was interested in my neck of the woods was the exploding battery story.

How about toning down the rhetoric in these phantasmagorical stories until something is verified?

AI has ignore the universal bad press/pans this product received last week. Where is AI's review? Why is it taking so long?
  • Reply 43 of 238
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event the EFF is going to loose a lot of credibility if they pursue this track as the chip has nothing to do with DRM. That is where DRM means Digital Rights Management. In the worst case all the chip does is implement a custom communications protocol to ride on the mic signal.

The EFF has turned into a bunch of knee-jerk reactionary lawyers. There doesn't seem to be anyone there to do any engineering analysis, or innovative thinking.
  • Reply 44 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I just ordered a new shuffle as a gift. Since it is so very different from the previous version, which some people like because of the built in buttons, and no dongle to use other brand headphones, why can Apple not offer both styles? I hope this is not a dumb question has not already been answered.

A gift... that's so nice of you.... please send it FEDEX my # 345Q0938T21F002.

What a prince!
  • Reply 45 of 238
    all Apple had to do is move the control down and leave a headphone input open.

anyone would be able to use any headphone they desire.

but why do something so logical.

• Reply 46 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

There is a button on the side of it- why do you need to take it out of your pockets? Put your hand in your pockets.

Whiner: "Well, it depends on which way the iPhone happens to be oriented in my pocket, and I can't select the next song/playlist or go back, blah, blah, blah"
  • Reply 47 of 238
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

and the problem is their headphone, earphone standard is down in the toilet. they sound crap compared to even the average earbuds around.

Which is why I see everybody wearing them and not 150 dollar ones.
  • Reply 48 of 238
    Quote:

Only a Koolaid guzzlin Fanboy would buy this piece of garage anyway so the point is moot. They would buy a new pair of headphones every other week if told to do so.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...rd-generation/

No way - I had no idea that Apple was selling parts of a garage ... and for $79 at that.

Anyway, since you were probably trying to say that it's garbage, I assume you have some basis on which to make that statement other than your own blind hate.

This just in ... only a Google tit-sucking fanboi would have any interest in Android ... it's utter trash. Why? Because I F-ING SAY SO!!!! See how easy that was???
  • Reply 49 of 238
    Quote:

AI has ignore the universal bad press/pans this product received last week. Where is AI's review? Why is it taking so long?

What about Walter Mossberg's review, I would take his over the rest of the useless whining blogs.
  • Reply 50 of 238
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The product is going to bomb. Mark my words.
  • Reply 51 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I just ordered a new shuffle as a gift. Since it is so very different from the previous version, which some people like because of the built in buttons, and no dongle to use other brand headphones, why can Apple not offer both styles? I hope this is not a dumb question has not already been answered.

You should cancel the order and order the prior model. You really weant this lemon? May I suggest you read all 9 pages of this unbiased review from the best iPod website around.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...rd-generation/
  • Reply 52 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

What about Walter Mossberg's review, I would take his over the rest of the useless whining blogs.

Yes it figures you would look for a Koolaid drip and find it somewhere. Has Mossberg ever given an unbiased review of anything Apple?
  • Reply 53 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Yeah, but they won't be required in order to control playback.

I just think the minimalism went too far on this one. But the market will decide.

Agree on the required, and agree that the market will decide.

The innovation though is that it's the first mp3 player where you use it without touching it. It's the true fashion accessory; come Sept, it'll be available in a bunch of other colors.
  • Reply 54 of 238
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGui View Post

I had no idea your "neck of the woods" was the barometer of the world.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

You might want to do likewise.

Thanks thirteen post-boy.
  • Reply 55 of 238
    Quote:

Yes it figures you would look for a Koolaid drip and find it somewhere. Has Mossberg ever given an unbiased review of anything Apple?

Actually he has, Mobileme.
  • Reply 56 of 238
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Seconded. I doubt most of the complainers were actually interested in buying shuffle in the first place. Most of the actual buyers are either activity-oriented (e.g., gym, running) or looking for throwaway music device, only replacing earbuds when the included one is damaged or lost.

That's fine but what if, like with many people, Apple's earbuds don't stay in their ears? Some people just have the wrong ear shape and they fall out.

What if they are replacing an older iPod that died and want to use a favorite pair of headphones they already own?

On top of that the control scheme is totally unintuitive and not Apple-like at all. Apple things are supposed to be simple and easy. This is the opposite. It's a pointless gimmick that will sell only because it carries the trendy iPod name. But I don't think it'll sell that well. The next version will have buttons on the iPod itself.
  • Reply 57 of 238
    I don't at all see what's wrong with the previous generation of Shuffle. I think it's the best iPod period, for what it is of course. I use mine only for the gym and personally don't see how people lug their big iPods on arm bands and such, looks like it's a pain.

I also don't use Apple headphones simply cause the in ear phones hurt after a while. But overall the design is perfect with the controls on the device itself. I'm totally confused why Apple wanted to make something that great...better.
  • Reply 58 of 238
    Confirmation from Apple themselves you can't use other headphones, you just can't control the volume or change the tracks but the music will play:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19518_3-10195943-238.html
  • Reply 59 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The product is going to bomb. Mark my words.

The new shuffle is here to stay.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

all Apple had to do is move the control down and leave a headphone input open.

If it's not selling as well as expected, Apple will simply split the cable into two parts as voodooru says.
  • Reply 60 of 238
    It was always going to be a risky decision to take the controls off the actual player. It seems like it would probably make more sense to have the controller and the actual headphones as separate units - i.e. the controller plugs into the headphone socket, and then any pair of standard headphones could plug into the controller.

I realise this is basically the way the third-party accessories will work, but they should probably do it by default. Standard iPod headphones have never been that great.