MacBook Pro (Unibody): Middle-click with trackpad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've Googled, but I haven't found a sure-fire way to middle-click with the trackpad on the new unibody MacBook Pros.

There are two reasons I want to middle-click:

1) Open a new tab in Firefox by middle-clicking a link.

2) Pasting from the clipboard in a Unix shell (which I do all the time, both in OS X and in Unix OS's that I run under VirtualBox).

Is there any way to do this? I downloaded the trial version of an extension that promised to enable this (SideTrack), but it kept asking me to reboot, but it looks like the author didn't update it for the latest trackpads:

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software...ack/index.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    I Googled this same question and landed on your post. Hoping to reactivate this thread to see if anyone can help.....

(I want to middle click for your reason [1] - open link as new tab in Firefox)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You should be able to put two fingers on the trackpad and then click (you may need to enable that in Preferences for Keyboard or Mouse/Trackpad).

Or in Firefox, just hold Apple key down when you click a link and it'll open in a new tab.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TTLKurtis View Post

You should be able to put two fingers on the trackpad and then click (you may need to enable that in Preferences for Keyboard or Mouse/Trackpad).

Or in Firefox, just hold Apple key down when you click a link and it'll open in a new tab.

The Firefox apple-click was new to me --- this is excellent. Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 985member
    I think it's the same for Safari but I could be wrong since I'm a Firefox man.

BTW does anyone know how to right click in Windows under Boot Camp? Nothing I do can seem to get it to work!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Argelius View Post

The Firefox apple-click was new to me --- this is excellent. Thanks!