Should I get a MacBook now or wait?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys. I have been a PC user ever since and I'm currently a college student with a custom built gaming PC (Desktop). However, I would like to have notebook computer I could use on the go for basic computing. I have a lot of friends that uses an Apple Computer and I am very interested in making the switch.

Though, I do not need the notebook/laptop right away because I still have this massive desktop that is completely overpowered because I stopped gaming just about a year ago.

Now that I am making my first move to switch to a Mac computer, I probably will stick to it depending on how I feel about it. I have owned several Apple products such as an iPhone and an iPod and would like to step up to a higher tier product.

I know a lot of people that owns a MacBook and are very satisfied with it. I was about to purchase the MacBook (white) from the Apple Store yesterday but then after continuous research on such a big investment purchase, I found that Apple usually has a Back to School Sale which starts at the beginning of Summer. Not only that, I have also heard that price usually drops since new products/upgrades will be introduced.

So I guess my question is, should I get a MacBook now or wait for the Back to School Sale? I actually prefer to get the Aluminum Unibody MacBooks over the older plastic ones. And I assume that during Back to School Sale, the Aluminum MacBooks will have a price drop which is what I am hoping for.

What do you guys think?

And is a MacBook worth every penny? Is switching to Mac a very wise choice?

Thanks

Edit: Also, I found that there are Aluminum MacBook at the online apple store that are refurbished.... it cost $200.00 less than a brand new one. Would that be something I should consider also? I dont understand why its $200.00 cheaper if it only has minor defects on it and if those defects have been fixed or not.

Edit: Also, I would like to know where I could get a MacBook for the best deal I could get Every Penny saved is worth it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinoyplaya View Post

Hey guys. I have been a PC user ever since and I'm currently a college student with a custom built gaming PC (Desktop). However, I would like to have notebook computer I could use on the go for basic computing. I have a lot of friends that uses an Apple Computer and I am very interested in making the switch.

Though, I do not need the notebook/laptop right away because I still have this massive desktop that is completely overpowered because I stopped gaming just about a year ago.

Now that I am making my first move to switch to a Mac computer, I probably will stick to it depending on how I feel about it. I have owned several Apple products such as an iPhone and an iPod and would like to step up to a higher tier product.

I know a lot of people that owns a MacBook and are very satisfied with it. I was about to purchase the MacBook (white) from the Apple Store yesterday but then after continuous research on such a big investment purchase, I found that Apple usually has a Back to School Sale which starts at the beginning of Summer. Not only that, I have also heard that price usually drops since new products/upgrades will be introduced.

So I guess my question is, should I get a MacBook now or wait for the Back to School Sale? I actually prefer to get the Aluminum Unibody MacBooks over the older plastic ones. And I assume that during Back to School Sale, the Aluminum MacBooks will have a price drop which is what I am hoping for.

What do you guys think?

And is a MacBook worth every penny? Is switching to Mac a very wise choice?

Thanks

Edit: Also, I found that there are Aluminum MacBook at the online apple store that are refurbished.... it cost $200.00 less than a brand new one. Would that be something I should consider also? I dont understand why its $200.00 cheaper if it only has minor defects on it and if those defects have been fixed or not.

Edit: Also, I would like to know where I could get a MacBook for the best deal I could get Every Penny saved is worth it.

The Back to School deals have typically been for getting an iPod for free or reduced price depending on which one you select. If you don't need an iPod or don't want to go through the exercise of buying one with a MacBook, waiting for the rebate, and then selling the iPod... then the Back to School deal may not be for you.

It sounds like you're a student. Check the Apple Store to see what you may be eligible for with an education discount.

Oh, and the MacBook is a very good computer. I doubt you'd regret the purchase.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I put off from my initial decision to get one from about october of last year till I finally got one a couple months ago. Kept waiting and waiting for that next upgrade.

Before that I was still using my 10 year old desktops. I got the macbook, logic studio, hd and interface. As long as this thing runs, I can make music with it, like I can still do with the old equipment

Do yourself a favor and buy it now.

I probably won't wait as long for a new computer next time....I'll just have them lying around to use. I'm loving the power, size and portability of these here laptops. 'Cause as long as it runs and has software, you can always use it for something.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Apple refurbs are incredibly good and cheap. I would buy the MacBook now, you won't regret it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Rule of thumb is to wait as long as you possibly can to buy a new computer. Something new always comes along. In your case, we're talking Snow Leopard! It is 'projected' to be released by the end of the first half '09. So, wait it out is my advice
  • Reply 5 of 6
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    For laptops, if you can wait for the next model, wait. Next up is mobile Nahelem later this year. This should be a fairly decent jump better than the Yonah to Merom jump.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...er_Nehalem.pdf

I recall reading somewhere the mobile part will lack quickpath. I'm going to guess the MBP gets the quad core part and the macbook gets the dual core part.

I'm guessing that the iMac and MBP will get this quickly. Dunno how long the Macbook will wait. The mini is unlikely to see Nahelem for a long long time.

Based on what Apple has done in the past, the Back to School Macbooks will be the current ones with a new Nehalem based one around the November timeframe.

If you can wait for November then wait.

If you can't wait for November then buy a refurb now because getting a current gen in August for BTS will suck when you see the next gen out a few months later. Oh, the refurb price is better than the edu price. Edu is like a $50-$100 discount if I remember right.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

For laptops, if you can wait for the next model, wait. Next up is mobile Nahelem later this year. This should be a fairly decent jump better than the Yonah to Merom jump.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...er_Nehalem.pdf

I recall reading somewhere the mobile part will lack quickpath. I'm going to guess the MBP gets the quad core part and the macbook gets the dual core part.

I'm guessing that the iMac and MBP will get this quickly. Dunno how long the Macbook will wait. The mini is unlikely to see Nahelem for a long long time.

Based on what Apple has done in the past, the Back to School Macbooks will be the current ones with a new Nehalem based one around the November timeframe.

If you can wait for November then wait.

If you can't wait for November then buy a refurb now because getting a current gen in August for BTS will suck when you see the next gen out a few months later. Oh, the refurb price is better than the edu price. Edu is like a $50-$100 discount if I remember right.

Agree with Vinea. If you can wait for mobile Nehalem that's the way to go. That's also what Anand is suggesting.

I'm not sure that MBPs will get the quad core, 8 thread cpus though. Those are 45 watt TDP chips that I'm not sure would be able to work in the thin MBP enclosure.

But its not all bad because the dual core, 4 thread mobile cpus will be fabbed on the 32nm node. These will likely be faster, a lot, and have better battery life.

You can read more here.