Recommend me a brand of RAM

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a rev b MBP circa 2006, 2.16 ghz C2D with 2 gbs RAM.

I'm looking to install a 2gb module to max this machine out at 3 gbs.

Anyway the Intel Macs seem notoriously picky about their RAM. So I ask, what brand(s) are good for this machine?

Advice from the AI community is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I have a rev b MBP circa 2006, 2.16 ghz C2D with 2 gbs RAM.

I'm looking to install a 2gb module to max this machine out at 3 gbs.

Anyway the Intel Macs seem notoriously picky about their RAM. So I ask, what brand(s) are good for this machine?

Advice from the AI community is greatly appreciated.

I would go with Crucial brand http://crucial.com. It is top notch quality (Apple often uses their memory as OEM)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    So crucial is ok.

Any other brand work ok? I would like to shop around a bit and get the lowest price possible on a brand that my MBP won't barf on.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

So crucial is ok.

Any other brand work ok? I would like to shop around a bit and get the lowest price possible on a brand that my MBP won't barf on.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Bought the crucial RAM.

Hope the MBP doesn't barf on it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I dont know if these new fangled intel mac's are like the PPC ones, but i just upgraded to 1.5GB of ram literally about a week ago.

I bought regular PC2700 ram from the notebook section on newegg. i knew there was a "apple memory" section, but after checking it out and seeing the price difference, i was like "there cant possibly be a difference".

so i ordered crucial ram. it did very NOT so good things to my powerbook. i tried a bunch of different stuff. it just didnt jive.

So ordered ram "designed for apple notebooks". still pc2700. same speed and cl. more expensive.

but, it worked like a charm. i dont know what the difference is, other than it actually works.

So, before you go and buy some, read up on it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vnvnvn2000 View Post

I dont know if these new fangled intel mac's are like the PPC ones, but i just upgraded to 1.5GB of ram literally about a week ago.

I bought regular PC2700 ram from the notebook section on newegg. i knew there was a "apple memory" section, but after checking it out and seeing the price difference, i was like "there cant possibly be a difference".

so i ordered crucial ram. it did very NOT so good things to my powerbook. i tried a bunch of different stuff. it just didnt jive.

So ordered ram "designed for apple notebooks". still pc2700. same speed and cl. more expensive.

but, it worked like a charm. i dont know what the difference is, other than it actually works.

So, before you go and buy some, read up on it.

I ordered from crucial's website and entered the specs for my machine and it pulled a list of compatible RAM modules.

It should be here this week. I'll see how it goes.