Looks like the Unibody isn't unique to Apple...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

That certainly does look very interesting. I love the clean, straight lines of it and hopefully it'll be incredibly solid.

Yep it ought to be. It weighs in at 4 pounds. At $2000.00 it's larger, heavier and .... slower than the MacBook Air.

cnet review
  • Reply 22 of 34
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Adamo is a fail. Dell won't reach any fans because this only makes the Air look more intriguing.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I own an Air, it's better looking than the Adamo. What really worries me about the Adamo is its keyboard, it doesn't look that great.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Because they have a hardware division that does that sort of stuff? Nah...too easy an answer...never heard of Jonathan Ive?

Mr. I've designed overheating boxes because I ignored physics? I've heard of him.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    What really kills me about the adamo is what appears to be the air vents on the back/side. Why are some of the squares missing? Most Apple design is timeless. This silly flair of leaving out random vent holes is just flunky. FLUNKY.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

... FLUNKY.

Flunky? Do you have any idea what that means?
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Ah yes. Dell.

My girlfriend just bought a Dell and after 2 weeks the keys started to fall out! Not ony that but the DVD drive is continually accessing something, even though there's nothing in it. So now we've got a technician coming ou to replace the keyboard!! AFER 2 WEEKS!!!

I was thinking of getting a Dell, nice and cheap etc but now, after this little incident i'm heading back to Apple.

So yes, while Apple may not be the only one with a unibody, let's look at who has the better quality. I'd be afraid that Dell's unibody crumbles when its used.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Dell's seen the downside of being a commodity part repackager working with razor thin margins. When you have absolutely nothing to compete with but price, and other manufacturers figure out how to equal or exceed your supply chain mojo, you have nothing to compete with.

So they obviously want a piece of Apple's high margin, highly profitable (if lower volume) business. But what are the chances that they can get people to start to think of Dell as being a purveyor of fine goods, after years and years of selling themselves as the Walmart of computer vendors?

It's a bit ironic, because Dell led the charge into commodity hell for the entire PC industry. PC buyers have been conditioned to believe the only good PC is a rock bottom PC, and now they want $400 netbooks that can barely run a full OS.

Apple has made an entire business out of what they do, and they created their pricing structure long before the economy dropped off a cliff. Dell has made an entire business out of making sure the PC market is extremely price sensitive, back when everyone was rolling in dough, and now they want to try their hand at fancy/expensive? Good luck with that.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Flunky? Do you have any idea what that means?

Do you know what flunky means? I'm aware that it's a noun.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Do you know what flunky means? I'm aware that it's a noun.

So..... leaving out some but not all air vent holes makes the Adamo a kind of a subordinate lackey?
  • Reply 31 of 34
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Dell's seen the downside of being a commodity part repackager working with razor thin margins. When you have absolutely nothing to compete with but price, and other manufacturers figure out how to equal or exceed your supply chain mojo, you have nothing to compete with.

So they obviously want a piece of Apple's high margin, highly profitable (if lower volume) business. But what are the chances that they can get people to start to think of Dell as being a purveyor of fine goods, after years and years of selling themselves as the Walmart of computer vendors?

It's a bit ironic, because Dell led the charge into commodity hell for the entire PC industry. PC buyers have been conditioned to believe the only good PC is a rock bottom PC, and now they want $400 netbooks that can barely run a full OS.

Apple has made an entire business out of what they do, and they created their pricing structure long before the economy dropped off a cliff. Dell has made an entire business out of making sure the PC market is extremely price sensitive, back when everyone was rolling in dough, and now they want to try their hand at fancy/expensive? Good luck with that.

Good post, Addabox.

It looks to me the biggest mistake Dell have made with the Adamo is putting their name to it. They should have created a separate, high tier brand.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I own an Air, it's better looking than the Adamo. What really worries me about the Adamo is its keyboard, it doesn't look that great.

Well, as I said in a previous post, the keys on my girlfriend's Dell laptop have started to fall out after two weeks.

It just feels really poorly built.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Screen hinge position alone makes the thing ugly
  • Reply 34 of 34
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    There's a unibody keyboard out there. It's lazer-cut from a single piece of plexiglass.

Logitech diNovo Edge Mac