Dell unveils heavier, more expensive MacBook Air rival

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Leave it to Dell to name its "forward-looking" new line after a character in Battlestar Galactica just as the final episodes are airing......

\

Not to mention, to these eyes, the thing is in no way as sleek looking as its target, the MBA.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    U.G.L.Y.

When will these companies learn something about style? Since this computer is supposedly all about style, the answer, apparently, is "never."

It's like American auto makers. No matter how they try, they just can't do it -- even though there are dozens of beautiful foreign cars as examples. Now, Dell had all this time to do something classy and "timeless" -- a word they have no business using -- and they've failed. Miserably.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's the nicest looking Dell ever... but in the end, it's still a Dell.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Leave it to Dell to name its "forward-looking" new line after a character in Battlestar Galactica just as the final episodes are airing......

...more like this guy
  • Reply 45 of 82
    $2k for this is a reasonable start. The Adamo seems to easily be a superior machine to the MacBook air, and contends with other non-luxury models with its features. I think the "thinnest" claim though is about as negligible as the fact that its a pound heavier. Its connectivity features are great. You can process a blu-ray at 720 with this thing? Impressive, although I suspect doing and your battery will last long enough to watch a 2 hour flick.

That said, owning both Macs and Dells myself (I do post-production for film, advertising, and recording artists) I can honestly say that Dell's warranty/out-of-warranty repair work or upgrade work is a little easier and significantly quicker. But. . .anecdotally, my Dell's have had less "problems" (although I've had a mainboard go bad) than my MACs. If you live close to an Applestore you're in luck I hear but I always get the new part or a warm blooded technician from Dell at my house in 24 (usually) to 48 hours, a turnaround time that Apple doesn't come close to touching. Let's be honest. If your machine never gives you problems or you never upgrade, you're fine.

I think the claims that Dell can't bring to market a luxury computer is just silly. To set something clear: perhaps I'm being biased, but Dell's known not for "value" or "cheap" but revolutionizing, to a degree, supply chain logistics with both new and warranty items as well as being reliable overall. (when did emphasizing reliability and turnaround translate to cheap?) So if Dell releases a vagina-wetting nerdalicious luxury item, then the real feat is that they already have a reliable product line and now they attack aesthetics. Of course, once you're in this arena, it is impossible to announce a winner (as in fastest CPU or longest battery) for beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is the real risk in creating a product that stakes a niche in the "luxury" tool department and thus what Apple worries about. Dell must push the emperor's new clothes marketing campaign, for if some folks may be hesitant as to the looks of product X, if we are told long and consistently enough that X IS attractive, we will start to believe.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

U.G.L.Y.

When will these companies learn something about style? Since this computer is supposedly all about style, the answer, apparently, is "never."

It's like American auto makers. No matter how they try, they just can't do it -- even though there are dozens of beautiful foreign cars as examples. Now, Dell had all this time to do something classy and "timeless" -- a word they have no business using -- and they've failed. Miserably.

They've failed miserably eh? By what authority to you make this gross generalization?

Do some searching for EUROPEAN tech websites and you will see a generally favorable review of the Adamo's styling. So . . . .hmmmmm........well......I'm truly sorry your Corvette (a car desired by GLOBAL car collectors) is giving you engine problems.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silentdrowning View Post

$2k for this is a reasonable start.

The Adamo seems to easily be a superior machine to the MacBook air.

Wrong, and wrong. Alot of people blasted Apple when the Air was introduced priced $200 less then the Adamo, and the specs on the Dell are lower then on the Mac. The Adamo is inferior in every way to the Air, except thickness. I'm sure that the Air even gets better battery life, when you take into account that Apple has a more taxing battery test then Dell's "turn everything low and see how long it idles for" test.

Quote:

Dell's known not for "value" or "cheap" but revolutionizing, to a degree, supply chain logistics with both new and warranty items as well as being reliable overall.

Oh really? Then why do I seem to recall the fact that the only reason people buy Dell computers is that you can get a Desktop from them for under $500? Dell is the number one computer manufacturer in the world because its products are so cheap, and everyone knows it.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:

Dell is good at design now and Adamo proves it.

And as long as Apple keeps designing stuff for them to copy they will continue to be good at design.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1391374]
    Quote:

...Dell refers to this option as "ADMIRE" on the website.

A higher-end model dubbed "DESIRE" is priced at $2,699.

"Style-minded people who place a premium on precision craftsmanship and design can now add Adamo to their list of must-have items for 2009," Dell says.

" We want the user to be presented with this and feel special about what they're getting."

Dell offers "optional luxury packages" "...be rewarded by the select materials and craftsmanship you would expect in a fine watch."

Encounter, Discover, Admire, and Commit.

SEX + BRICK ...Damn, I never thought of it that way.

?Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?? No Baby, it's my Desire!!

actually sounds like a come-on at a whore house...

somebody please stop me - roflmao
  • Reply 50 of 82
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    If I'm Apple, *pinch me*.

A MBA killer that worsens its two critical attributes? Looks like Steve took his leave of absence, donned a mustache and glasses and went to work in the Dell design division.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Hmm....good point, when the MBA feature external disc drive, everyone flames Apple and Windows Trolls take advantage to flame Apple too, but so far I dont hear the same whining w/ Adamo.

It wasn't that the Air didn't include a disc drive that was annoying. It was that the Air was suddenly the only subnotebook computer Apple was making and it is exceedingly limited. Had the unibody Macbook existed then, there would have been far fewer complaints.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

who cares about SSD? apparently a lot of people, read any review of the macbook air and it's unanimous that the SSD makes for a speedier system... and who cares about this and that is irrelevant. when putting a comparison together you have to make the machines as comparable as possible before making that comparison, the only way to do that is to add SSD to the air.

I'm not saying that it's a better value, I would pay the extra amount to have OSX, and I have paid extra in every machine I have just for OSX, but to say that it's more expensive is just flat out wrong.

also SSD makes the computer a lot more robust and quiet.. got a SSD MBA and I'm so very very happy I did not pick the HDD one
  • Reply 53 of 82
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koolhaas View Post

i'll second that gladly. however, i still wish they could squeeze in another USB at least. it's a PIB to work with an external HD and the superdrive (which does not take hubs gladly)...

just use the 802.11 instead of the usb connection to the external HD. the superdrive really is only necessary for installing windows in boot camp as long as you have a stationary computer with optical drive at home. I never have had any need for an additional USB port with my MBA
  • Reply 54 of 82
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koolhaas View Post

...more like this guy

re: who is the new Dell named after....

Well, computer geeks are certainly more into Belgian composer/balladers from the '60's than into sci-fi admirals jumping through hyperspace on battlestars.

????
  • Reply 55 of 82
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Personally thought this laptop is indeed stylish, and has improved my image of Dell.

However the chances I'll buy a Dell in the future as a result of this product release are about as slim as the laptop itself

No OSX is a deal breaker for me.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    This thing is no MBA. At all.

Dell a premium brand?? LOL!!!

Dell will never learn. They can't even copy correctly. Then again I don't expect much from a generic junk-box maker to being with.

Moving right along . . .
  • Reply 57 of 82
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    What??

posters on an apple based forum not wanting to buy a Dell?

Really?

tell me it isnt so
  • Reply 58 of 82
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OCDinOC View Post

Great timing on an uber-expensive "stylish" laptop. Regardless of how it looks it still uses Windows. I think Dell should shut down and give the money back to the shareholders. Do it now before we have to bail them out.

aaah... yes. that never gets old, does it?
  • Reply 59 of 82
    ros3ntanros3ntan Posts: 201member
    ok, i know that dell is trying to compare with MBA, but why is that a comparison in the technical term? i think Adamo is a direct competitor to Sony TZ more than to macbook air. if u look at the specs, its closer to sony TZ than Macbook air.

The same slow processor, with all the ports, which Sony TZ has the HDMI and plus they got blu ray. the screen size might be different size but im sorry, sony tz is a much better looking computer than adamo. i would rather get the sony tz or even Z. For that price, Sony is a much better brand. I had sony before and the computer is reliable ( i was not part of the battery recall, but every other company uses sony battery...). other than that, its reliable.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Despite the CPU speed and iGP issues making it significantly slower over the MBA I do like the design. I've stated on these very forums before that I wish they put the ports in the back so they could get the full thickness of the device. Oh well, I guess Dell was listening to me.

I'm guessing that Dell had some issues with heat and/or power usage because they are using the 1.2/1/4GHz ULV 2CDs instead of the 1.6/1.8GHz ULV C2Ds. The speeds and prices are as follows....
    MBA:

• SL9400 (6M L2 cache 1.86 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $316

• SL9300 (6M L2 cache 1.60 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $284

Adamo:

• SU9400 (3M L2 cache 1.40 GHz 800 MHz FSB 45nm) $289

• SU9300 (3M L2 cache 1.20 GHz 800 MHz FSB 45nm) $262
    The price difference is $22 to $2 between the comparable tiers, so unless Dell was getting a wicked deal from Intel on the slower clockrate CPUs with half the L2 cache and slower FSB I don't see another reason than I stated above.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Thinnest by maximum thickness... not by average thickness.

I think the MBA would also wins in total volume, but I'm pretty sure the Adamo wins in battery life, even with Windows on it, which will explain the additional weight.