Apple issues Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter Firmware Update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    I was having the external display (Samsung Syncmaster 245BW) blink on and off after a warm up perioid when using the 9400M. It would not update when connected to the Samsung and failed 3 times. An unknown error. The samsung is VGA and DVI and I'm using the VGA mode for the laptop. Might be the display isn't quite compatible. After hooking up to a VGA only LCD (HP L1706) it updated fine. Now it's hooked back up to the Samsung and no blinking.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    rbuckrbuck Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

Any VGA to miniDisplayPort adapters out there?

I've installed the firmware update, and things don't seem much better with my Dell 5100MP. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it freezes the MBP display until disconnected, sometimes it just doesn't detect the projector. One of the best things about my old MBP was fearlessly plugging into any projector for a presentation and not worrying about it, while the PC-types were fretting about display settings. No more.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbuck View Post

I've installed the firmware update, and things don't seem much better with my Dell 5100MP. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it freezes the MBP display until disconnected, sometimes it just doesn't detect the projector. One of the best things about my old MBP was fearlessly plugging into any projector for a presentation and not worrying about it, while the PC-types were fretting about display settings. No more.

I agree about the "fearless its not" anymore....

what input do you use on 5100? I have one & had been using DVI - it did work at one point
  • Reply 24 of 28
    rbuckrbuck Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I agree about the "fearless its not" anymore....

what input do you use on 5100? I have one & had been using DVI - it did work at one point

This was regarding the VGA input ? admittedly old, but still the most frequently encountered AV setup for speaking.

My tests on the HDMI input to the 5100 (via DVI and adapters) didn't fair well either. Tons of snow; wrong colors. Could be the adapters though. There doesn't seem to be a DVI input on my Dell (though there is a connector that looks a lot like one - just more pins). Maybe I'm missing a cable. The mDP > DVI works fine with my 24" Dell monitor.

What I really need is VGA, to talk to all of those older projectors out there.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbuck View Post

This was regarding the VGA input ? admittedly old, but still the most frequently encountered AV setup for speaking.

My tests on the HDMI input to the 5100 (via DVI and adapters) didn't fair well either. Tons of snow; wrong colors. Could be the adapters though. There doesn't seem to be a DVI input on my Dell (though there is a connector that looks a lot like one - just more pins). Maybe I'm missing a cable. The mDP > DVI works fine with my 24" Dell monitor.

What I really need is VGA, to talk to all of those older projectors out there.

I agree the VGA needs to work well. I also frequent corporate clients with many different projectors - all vga.

I will try to check my macbook pro tonight into my 5100 (using DVI) and see how it looks. I also have macbook unibody I can try.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think so this time around. Previous minis might have had a socket, but I recall reports that said the processor is soldered to the board on this revision.

It is an BTO option even on the "cheaper" mini. (and sequitur mentioned it as a BTO option)

If you want to do it on your own you are out of luck,

as you correctly said the proc is soldered to the mainboard.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    mannypmannyp Posts: 1member
    So I got the MiniDisplayPort to VGA adapter from Monoprice and it does not allow me to upgrade the firmware because it does not have any firmware. I experience 3 separate problems with my new mac mini. Sometimes I only see static, other times I can see the desktop but it is this wierd staticy wobbley, and the signal is lost and comes back every couple of minutes. The monoprice adapter is going back and I am getting the apple one.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    I updated my mini-display port to VGA firmware, but the problem seems to persist.

Every time I try to move my MacBook Pro (15", 2.4GHz), even very slightly, the external display disconnects.

But when this happens, I can still drag windows onto the external display area (extended desktop), as if OS X still thinks the external display is connected.

It required manually un-plugging and re-plugging to get it working again.

Anyone has this problem as well?