Could the iPhone OS 3.0 event also be about a tablet?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

Interesting article in PC World:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16118...ally_mean.html

To sum it up, she's arguing that iPhone OS 3.0 could include support for a tablet computer.

I think it's more realistic that the tablet will run iPhone OS (see my earlier posts), even if I would prefer full OS X. So, if the Q3 rumors are to be believed, now could be a good time to introduce a tablet (and it's new OS). Especially if lead-time for FCC approval is needed.

Comments? Wishful thinking?

/Daniel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I think it will run full OS X, with 3.0 being an "instant on" feature.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    That's what everyone has been speculating about for a while now...

(lots of threads about it)
  • Reply 3 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not buying it. No tablet announcement yet. Sometimes iPhone 3.0, is iPhone 3.0
  • Reply 4 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I don't think Apple will announce support for a product in development but It'll be interesting to see what's 'underneath the hood'.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I think Apple will announce tomorrow. They need to give developers time to get the apps right for the device, so, tomorrow seems like a good time to give them the heads up.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    premium app store, hmmm..
  • Reply 7 of 15
    The new OS may include frameworks to support a larger tablet device, but Apple isn't going to announce anything like that tomorrow.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The new OS may include frameworks to support a larger tablet device, but Apple isn't going to announce anything like that tomorrow.

you speak as if you have inside information.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    The inivitation reads "Software", so probably not the physical device. However, if they reveal the GUI and screen size, it's a significant part of the product.

Best,

Daniel

PS. Any word on if and when the event stream will be available? I will probably wait for it.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Similar speculation in a Computerworld blog:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/apple...eveal_a_tablet
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I seriously doubt that Apple would host a media event just to unveil a firmware update for the current hardware.

If Apple are to do so, then I believe we are in for some masive changes regarding the OS on all of their portable devices (including future hardware).

To me it also makes sense if Apple would at least unveil their plans regarding a "netbook", "MacBook Nano" or whatever they would like to call it.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Here's a write up of the 'Roadmap' event from March 2008 - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...map_event.html

iPhone SDK announcement and beta, App Store announcement, game demos, Exchange demo, iPhone 2.0 dated for June 08.

I'd expect iPhone 3.0 today to be a similar setup of announcements - new SDK, new features, demos of new apps/features, release date.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not buying it. No tablet announcement yet. Sometimes iPhone 3.0, is iPhone 3.0

if a Tablet is coming, it will be 2010, the year we make contact.

see, I can make predictions too
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWhore View Post

you speak as if you have inside information.

I don't. The invitation speaks of software. This announcement is for developers, it's not a sales pitch.

Edit: Though with Apple, one never knows.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

if a Tablet is coming, it will be 2010, the year we make contact.

see, I can make predictions too

Indeed-y, and you're right on the money too. CES 2010