iPhone 3.0: 100 new features for users; 1,000 new APIs for devs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 170
    vorstvorst Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

not really, I think it's great that it has gained Apple additional popularity in the US though.. however, in sweden, the iPhone is associated with "white trash" (no other Apple product is)

(I really hope noone takes offence by that )

Maybe "Cbswe" work for Ericsson (Sweden), they thought the same thing about Finland (Nokia), now they own 40% of the Mobile GSM market.
  • Reply 22 of 170
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

wow.. it took two major releases to implement something as simple as copy-paste and mms... iPhone really is the only Apple product I have som major problems seeing any value to. iPhone really is _not_ state of the art in any way in contrast to the mac

Ah, there we go again with the "European and Japanes phone users are SOOOOO far ahead of US" nonsense.

What they have is unusable phones with tons of useless features that can't be used.

This is just typical european US-envy.
  • Reply 23 of 170
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

another very basic feature missing is the ability to run several applications at once. maybe they could implement it like "spaces" in OS X.. that would be pretty neat.

You are so missing the point that you are either completely stupid or just a troll.
  • Reply 24 of 170
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

You are so missing the point that you are either completely stupid or just a troll.

Tell us- Is your Kool-aid green today for St. Paddy's Day?
  • Reply 25 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

It might help if Apple communications/marketing would stop calling every new "feature" something ground-breaking etc. Cut & Paste, MMS should have been introduced in the very beginning - as far less innovative cell phones were already doing it.

Jeez... didn't even read the post, did you.

Really... this is NOT the simple task that bedroom scripters seem to think it is.

Opening up the clipboard (a LOVELY attack vector) as a common breeding ground between apps is fraught with risks.

It took time not because of coding difficulties (which amateurs always think is the big hard problem), but in designing a good interface and dealing with security issues at a LOWER LEVEL!!

One of the tin-hat "Apple is out to screw us" types has to explain to me the great benefit Apple would have by intentionally withholding C/P.

I'm dying to hear this brilliant business analysis.
  • Reply 26 of 170
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

another very basic feature missing is the ability to run several applications at once. maybe they could implement it like "spaces" in OS X.. that would be pretty neat.

I'm going to have to side with Apple on this one. I think that the need for running apps simultaneously on a phone is overblown.

Other than say listening to music whilst you do another task there really doesn't seem to be any reason why a lot of apps need to be running.

In fact I hope that Apple takes this push notification feature and brings it to desktop/laptop applications. When I look at my Activity Monitor I see these "agents"

running for apps I barely use and they sit there and consume CPU cycles and RAM.

Spotlight isn't just a searching mechanism it also works in conjuction with the filesystem to keep apps up data about changes. I don't need these little agents watching constantly when they can simply contact the filestystem for a log of all changes upon launch.
  • Reply 27 of 170
    Quote:

so very true.. it really bugs me that some people actually juges smartphones by "how many megapixels they have".. anything above 5 MP is overkill without a proper lens. there is a reason for the top quality digital cameras being of the physical size they are.

Thank you.
  • Reply 28 of 170
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Complete rubbish.

The social mores of Swedes are quite irrelevant.

well thank you for taking my post the wrong way and generalise as well as insult my country
  • Reply 29 of 170
    Quote:

so very true.. it really bugs me that some people actually juges smartphones by "how many megapixels they have".. anything above 5 MP is overkill without a proper lens. there is a reason for the top quality digital cameras being of the physical size they are.

Many of us are simply looking for something a bit better than what is currently offered. How about a 3 or 4 mp upgrade with added functionality? I don't think that's too much to ask for at this point.
  • Reply 30 of 170
    We have yet to see Apple acknowledge the event accept/calendar issues with the current version

Happens with Exchange and Kerio mail server systems.

Hope to heck it is fixed soon!
  • Reply 31 of 170
    vorstvorst Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Ah, there we go again with the "European and Japanes phone users are SOOOOO far ahead of US" nonsense.

What they have is unusable phones with tons of useless features that can't be used.

I'm living in Belgium (Europe). I have been a Nokia users for years and loved the user interface and reliability. Most Sony, Motorola didn't meet the quality and technology that Nokia offered.

Now suddenly Blackberry took the lead in the business world with there Nokia like quality with super email functionality.

I don't have a iphone (only an iPod touch) but it is amazing that 2 year old phone can be updated with 100 new functions + the 100 more features which were available in version 2 software.

I use to have a Nokia E61 Smart phone and I couldn't even updated it or I had to wipe the all thing, It was so complicated it would have taken me one day to find out to do it right. AND I ONLY GOT BUG FIXES.

My 7 month old Blackberry Curve is great device but I don't see any new features.

I see people complaining not having support for MMS in iphone1 with version 3.0, sorry to hear you only will have 99 new features !!!!
  • Reply 32 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

It probably is a culture thing.. I think it's kinda weird though that the iPhone has struck US as the first "this is it"-phone.. as I have understood it, smartphones, with exception for blackberrys, has been somewhat of a miss in the US until the iPhone.. that would have been all great, if not apple had limited the phone and made it a lot more like a ordinary cell phone with extra features rather then a proper smartphone

Quote:

no, I really think I am _not_ missing the point.. I would like to stress that I do have tast in products and I am not one of those tech spec-geeks who thinks a acer laptop is "superior" to a macbook just because it has more GHz, has more USB-ports or something similar. I am very aware of the end user experience for the iPhone and as I said, I think of myself as a person with taste

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm going to have to side with Apple on this one. I think that the need for running apps simultaneously on a phone is overblown.

Other than say listening to music whilst you do another task there really doesn't seem to be any reason why a lot of apps need to be running.

In fact I hope that Apple takes this push notification feature and brings it to desktop/laptop applications. When I look at my Activity Monitor I see these "agents"

running for apps I barely use and they sit there and consume CPU cycles and RAM.

Spotlight isn't just a searching mechanism it also works in conjuction with the filesystem to keep apps up data about changes. I don't need these little agents watching constantly when they can simply contact the filestystem for a log of all changes upon launch.

well, there you go.. it's sort of the problem in a nutshell.. the iPhone is kind of setting the norm for smartphones in the US.. and the norm will be phones that can run one app at once.. and the design of the smartphone systems will follow that niche. The end result will be bad compatibility between computers and smartphones because they will distance as computer units.

with the iPod it's fine.. a music player is best as just a music player.. but the smartphone really should be useable as the step down from a laptop
  • Reply 33 of 170
    [QUOTE=Cbswe;1391711

well, there you go.. it's sort of the problem in a nutshell.. the iPhone is kind of setting the norm for smartphones in the US.. and the norm will be phones that can run one app at once.. and the design of the smartphone systems will follow that niche. The end result will be bad compatibility between computers and smartphones because they will distance as computer units.

[/QUOTE]

I dunno about that...

Palm Pre is claiming background apps. We'll see if that's the 'must have' feature or not. If it isn't, then maybe US users are right, huh?

BTW, running background 'apps' is not that particularly awe inspiring when the apps are essentially glorified HyperCard stacks. (Although I loved HyperCard.)
  • Reply 34 of 170
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    ...that any time someone has a valid comment that doesn't gush all over Apple, they are called a "troll". I guess if you love everything Apple that makes you a brilliant intellect.

I am happy for apple fans that their precious phone will soon have most of the capabilities of everyone elses phone. Talk about brilliant intellect. Paying more for less just to impress your friends.
  • Reply 35 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

...that any time someone has a valid comment that doesn't gush all over Apple, they are called a "troll". I guess if you love everything Apple that makes you a brilliant intellect.

I am happy for apple fans that their precious phone will soon have most of the capabilities of everyone elses phone. Talk about brilliant intellect. Paying more for less just to impress your friends.

Troll.
  • Reply 36 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Many of us are simply looking for something a bit better than what is currently offered. How about a 3 or 4 mp upgrade with added functionality? I don't think that's too much to ask for at this point.

It really IS all about the lens and the CMOS and the lighting and shadow detail. For example, take a high quality image and res it down to 2 MP. In comparison to anything the iPhone can produce the difference is huge.
  • Reply 37 of 170
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Or drive the detractors wild with envy.
  • Reply 38 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

wow.. it took two major releases to implement something as simple as copy-paste and mms... iPhone really is the only Apple product I have som major problems seeing any value to. iPhone really is _not_ state of the art in any way in contrast to the mac

Copy and paste is not EASY. It's very difficult.

MMS is easy, but Apple didn't want to do it.
  • Reply 39 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Copy and paste is not EASY. It's very difficult.

MMS is easy, but Apple didn't want to do it.

even I could write an algorithm for copy-paste.. god only knows the reason for Apple not implementing it initially
  • Reply 40 of 170
    arteckxarteckx Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

More specifically, Apple announced that in-app purchases will allow developers to offer subscription content and provide the ability to sell new content and features in a simple and secure process from directly within their apps.

I don't think they should be restricting this to paid apps. It seems like it would be an even better feature for free apps. Instead of developers releasing a free and a paid version, they could just release the free version and use this new system to add the levels/features that are present in the paid version. As a user, I don't want to buy an app that then asks for more money. Either give me the real price for the full experience upfront or give me the app free and let me choose if I want more.