iPhone 3.0: 100 new features for users; 1,000 new APIs for devs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

well thank you for taking my post the wrong way and generalise as well as insult my country

You have to be careful when you start down that road. Someone is always there to take it to the next level. "White trash" is something that IS offensive here.
  • Reply 42 of 170
    Quote:

even I could write an algorithm for copy-paste.. god only knows the reason for Apple not implementing it initially

Then it's clear you don't understand that it's not a simple algorithm.

There are a number of issues involved. Making a space for the data outside of the sandboxed area. Writing all the code for the gestures. Linking it to the various apps with API's, etc.

This is likely hundreds of lines of code, at least. It could be several thousand. The decisions on exactly how to do this could have taken some time as every positive idea could incur a negative one. Apple made it plain as to what they needed to do.

It took MS until ver 3 of Win Mobile to add cut and paste. Other platforms either didn't have it in the beginning, or didn't do it very well, and had to change it later. Apple wanted to avoid that.
  • Reply 43 of 170
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

...that any time someone has a valid comment that doesn't gush all over Apple, they are called a "troll". I guess if you love everything Apple that makes you a brilliant intellect.

I am happy for apple fans that their precious phone will soon have most of the capabilities of everyone elses phone. Talk about brilliant intellect. Paying more for less just to impress your friends.

What was that stat I saw last week ...? iPhone users account for 60% or more of smart phones accessing the web while the Blackberry users didn't reach 1%. I'd say iPhone users are too busy to worry about impressing their friends
  • Reply 44 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Now i could care less about a 'good' built-in camera... The news is about the ability to provide software for devices plugged into the dock connector.

If any of the camera companies are smart, we might now see camera bodies to which you connect the touch/iPhone as a controller/preview.

THEN we'll start seeing some quality... great lenses, zoom, flash etc with the ability to update the software on the controller.

Camera quality on a phone is a dead end because after a certain point, its all about the lenses. We now have that option, if anyone will wake up and do it.

And musicians can start connecting their midi rigs through the dock connector and the iPhone/touch becomes a GREAT performance controller.

Hellooooo... RED... Jim Jannard... are you listening?
  • Reply 45 of 170
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arteckx View Post

I don't think they should be restricting this to paid apps. It seems like it would be an even better feature for free apps. Instead of developers releasing a free and a paid version, they could just release the free version and use this new system to add the levels/features that are present in the paid version. As a user, I don't want to buy an app that then asks for more money. Either give me the real price for the full experience upfront or give me the app free and let me choose if I want more.

So charge a buck for it. Unless, of course, your business model is "First one's free, kid."

Apple has just pulled off a coup here...

At exactly the time that newspapers are boarding up shop, Apple comes out with a model that lets them charge for a subscription to content (and that's not the same as offering subscriptions to a web-based newspaper.)

I can even envision a model for actual reporters (remember them, as opposed to blog-bloviators?) who could syndicate their reporting using this model.

I think that, (not copy/paste) is why apple is up over 4 today.
  • Reply 46 of 170
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You have to be careful when you start down that road. Someone is always there to take it to the next level. "White trash" is something that IS offensive here.

that is why I put it in quotation marks.. it's not anything coming from me myself.. but in retrospect you are right.. the term should be used carefully
  • Reply 47 of 170
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

even I could write an algorithm for copy-paste.. god only knows the reason for Apple not implementing it initially

Again, you miss the point. A reasonably smart monkey can write code once the design is done. Coding is easy.

Designing the method, interface, experience, and security is HARD.

And the security piece is particularly tricky because you don't do that at the app level... that has to be in sync with the security kernel of the OS. Anything higher than that is hacker heaven.

Security is not an issue for a Nokia 'smartphone' running craplets.

For business-level apps, its a BIG deal.
  • Reply 48 of 170
    Quote:

not really, I think it's great that it has gained Apple additional popularity in the US though.. however, in sweden, the iPhone is associated with "white trash" (no other Apple product is)

(I really hope noone takes offence by that )

Huh... isn't pretty much EVERYONE in Sweden "white trash?" I mean, it's about as white a country as you can get...
  • Reply 49 of 170
    I can't tell if there is just an OS upgrade expected this summer, or if we should also expect a new phone (longer battery, more memory, etc).
  • Reply 50 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hellooooo... RED... Jim Jannard... are you listening?

Jannard doesn't listen to anyone.
  • Reply 51 of 170
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxintosh View Post

Huh... isn't pretty much EVERYONE in Sweden "white trash?" I mean, it's about as white a country as you can get...

Oh Snap.LOL let's not fight =) Apple wants us to love each other.....[correction: love iPhone]
  • Reply 52 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxintosh View Post

I already posted about continuing this. Please don't.

White trash doesn't simply mean that someone is white. Look it up.
  • Reply 53 of 170
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I mean what other company do such updates to a phone. Even though some people see it as not features, but apple does this best. Takes something that doesn't work property and perfect it.

I tried all these features on Blackberry and WM and Nokia and they always have some issues. Some freeze some loose stuff. Apple didn't want that to happen.
  • Reply 54 of 170
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm glad they haven't implemented video or upgraded the camera, actually.

Until they figure out why the camera they have devours the battery they'd be stuck to about 45 seconds of video.

Even my Nikon doesn't chew batteries like the iPhone camera does.
  • Reply 55 of 170
    Quote:

Then it's clear you don't understand that it's not a simple algorithm.

There are a number of issues involved. Making a space for the data outside of the sandboxed area. Writing all the code for the gestures. Linking it to the various apps with API's, etc.

This is likely hundreds of lines of code, at least. It could be several thousand. The decisions on exactly how to do this could have taken some time as every positive idea could incur a negative one. Apple made it plain as to what they needed to do.

It took MS until ver 3 of Win Mobile to add cut and paste. Other platforms either didn't have it in the beginning, or didn't do it very well, and had to change it later. Apple wanted to avoid that.

OK, you might be right.. I can't honestly say that I am aware of the exact structure of how the OS.. but the text should be low-level so that it is the same for any app (the font would then be higher level). the copy would just store the data in the RAM and the past would re-enact the creation of it.. with images and such it would just copy the file the the RAM and then re-enact a insertion of a image in the current document etc. with iPhones already limited OS, there aren't many different variations.

however the structure of the OS perhaps prohibits such easy coherency between applications. wich I find very surprising since the iPhone OS is based on Mac OS X wich is based on UNIX wich has the philosophy of keeping applications consistant and structurally cohérent with other applications
  • Reply 56 of 170
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

MMS is easy, but Apple didn't want to do it.

Why- did Apple think MobileMe would take the world by storm and it hasn't?
  • Reply 57 of 170
    Quote:

I already posted about continuing this. Please don't.

White trash doesn't simply mean that someone is white. Look it up.

Thanks, I know. I was just pointing out it was silly to say "white trash" in a country full of, well, white people. That phrase is pretty specific to America's unique racial history and is difficult for a foreigner to command successfully (or non-offensively, if that's possible).
  • Reply 58 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Again, you miss the point. A reasonably smart monkey can write code once the design is done. Coding is easy.

Designing the method, interface, experience, and security is HARD.

And the security piece is particularly tricky because you don't do that at the app level... that has to be in sync with the security kernel of the OS. Anything higher than that is hacker heaven.

Security is not an issue for a Nokia 'smartphone' running craplets.

For business-level apps, its a BIG deal.

I would agree on that logic if I hadn't seen proof of Apples great recouses. but yes, that is a probable reason, but not an excuse
  • Reply 59 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm going to have to side with Apple on this one. I think that the need for running apps simultaneously on a phone is overblown.

Other than say listening to music whilst you do another task there really doesn't seem to be any reason why a lot of apps need to be running.

In fact I hope that Apple takes this push notification feature and brings it to desktop/laptop applications. When I look at my Activity Monitor I see these "agents"

running for apps I barely use and they sit there and consume CPU cycles and RAM.

Spotlight isn't just a searching mechanism it also works in conjuction with the filesystem to keep apps up data about changes. I don't need these little agents watching constantly when they can simply contact the filestystem for a log of all changes upon launch.

I have to say I completely agree with that... People!! Are we not going a bit too far????

Why does it seem so important to some of you to be able to run an app, while you are using another one (using CPU, RAM, ......).....???? When you can just close that one, open the new one, which takes 2 seconds and that is it..... Is this not going to make the phone potentially slower?? (unless the iphone hardware is so powerful it won't take any notice of this increased demand.... I don't know about these technical things, so it may be my lack of knowledge....). Is it not going to drain the battery even faster???

And my last say is...... the only useful thing I could see for this multitasking feature is something quite annoying.....Example: you are using an app, Safari, writing an email or whatever... and suddenly receive a text.... you click view it.... and then what you were doing is gone and then you have to go back and open the previous one again!!! GRRRRRRR So yes and no..... I want multitasking if I can go back straight away to my previous app, in that example, or similar situation, but not in all of them...... (if that makes sense.... hahahaa I can see all your confused faces.... haha )
  • Reply 60 of 170
    Quote:

OK, you might be right.. I can't honestly say that I am aware of the exact structure of how the OS is structured.. but the text should be low-level so that it is the same for any app (the font would then be higher level). the copy would just store the data in the RAM and the past would re-enact the creation of it.. with images and such it would just copy the file the the RAM and then re-enact a insertion of a image in the current document etc. with iPhones already limited OS, there aren't many different variations.

however the structure of the OS perhaps prohibits such easy coherency between applications. wich I find very surprising since the iPhone OS is based on Mac OS X wich is based on UNIX wich has the philosophy of keeping applications consistant and structurally cohérent with other applications

There is security involved, so everything that's done must pass through that as well. It also can't be high level, because that's too easy to screw with. It has to be done so it doesn't break anything else. Even the gestures were agonized over, and may need modification.