iPhone 3.0: 100 new features for users; 1,000 new APIs for devs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    On push notifications vs. apps running in the background, it should be clear that the state of battery technology is not yet advanced enough to sufficiently allow for the latter.
  • Reply 62 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why- did Apple think MobileMe would take the world by storm and it hasn't?

I don't know what Apple thought. Do you?
  • Reply 63 of 170
    arteckxarteckx Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

So charge a buck for it. Unless, of course, your business model is "First one's free, kid."

The desired business model is shareware. Apple is known for ease of use and elegance. Having to uninstall the free version and install the paid version is not elegant for the user when it now could be done in the app. Apple just implemented everything necessary to make it possible, but is killing the possibility by disabling it in free apps.

It's not that there's no work around. It's doing all the work necessary, but not taking advantage of it. It's kind of like building a Trojan Horse and forgetting to get inside before delivering it.
  • Reply 64 of 170
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

I have to say I completely agree with that... People!! Are we not going a bit too far????

Why does it seem so important to some of you to be able to run an app, while you are using another one (using CPU, RAM, ......).....???? When you can just close that one, open the new one, which takes 2 seconds and that is it..... Is this not going to make the phone potentially slower?? (unless the iphone hardware is so powerful it won't take any notice of this increased demand.... I don't know about these technical things, so it may be my lack of knowledge....). Is it not going to drain the battery even faster???

And my last say is...... the only useful thing I could see for this multitasking feature is something quite annoying.....Example: you are using an app, Safari, writing an email or whatever... and suddenly receive a text.... you click view it.... and then what you were doing is gone and then you have to go back and open the previous one again!!! GRRRRRRR So yes and no..... I want multitasking if I can go back straight away to my previous app, in that example, or similar situation, but not in all of them...... (if that makes sense.... hahahaa I can see all your confused faces.... haha )

let us say Im watching a movie, listening to a song or are in a middle of a video game, and I suddenly want to look something up on wikipedia. or read a newly received SMS or whatnow.. I'm not saying you need a gigabyte of RAM so that you can have 30 apps running simultaneously. but having the opportunity to not be forced to interrupt something (or wait for it to finish) to be able to do something else should be something you can ask from a smartphone.. it is supposed to be the high end variation of a cellphone in a very technically advanced society
  • Reply 65 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arteckx View Post

The desired business model is shareware. Apple is known for ease of use and elegance. Having to uninstall the free version and install the paid version is not elegant for the user when it now could be done in the app. Apple just implemented everything necessary to make it possible, but is killing the possibility by disabling it in free apps.

It's not that there's no work around. It's doing all the work necessary, but not taking advantage of it. It's kind of like building a Trojan Horse and forgetting to get inside before delivering it.

or deliver it but having forgot to put people inside it .. like in monty python and the holy grail
  • Reply 66 of 170
    For anyone getting the HTTP/1.1 Service Unavailable issue, you can workaround it using http://www.blogitech.co.uk/2009/get-...phone-30-beta/
  • Reply 67 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There is security involved, so everything that's done must pass through that as well. It also can't be high level, because that's too easy to screw with. It has to be done so it doesn't break anything else. Even the gestures were agonized over, and may need modification.

I guess the reason behind the delay can be that the people designing the structure of the iPhone OS could not come to an agreement. but as a computer science student I definitely understand the complexity of having to have it in direct interference with the kernel security, not being allowed to become much higher level but at the same time having to take in hand every possible scenario of usage with apps (that are higher level)
  • Reply 68 of 170
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxintosh View Post

Thanks, I know. I was just pointing out it was silly to say "white trash" in a country full of, well, white people. That phrase is pretty specific to America's unique racial history and is difficult for a foreigner to command successfully (or non-offensively, if that's possible).

I think the first guy (even though Swedish) used it correctly but it seems from further posts that he wasn't aware of how rude it was to use it.

I find that your continued assertion that Sweden is "a country of white people" just shows that you are the ignorant one here, and apparently the one with some kind of racial "issues." I'm not sure what you're getting at here anyway. I'm not from the USA, but I understand what "white trash" is and it wouldn't be a silly (or even inaccurate), reference even if Sweden really was "a country of white people."

You're not in the right here, and the OP apologised for the use of the term even as they used it. Why not just drop it?
  • Reply 69 of 170
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I don't know what Apple thought. Do you?

They thought I'd appreciate mobileme a lot more than I did dotmac - they were right.

• Reply 70 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

I guess the reason behind the delay can be that the people designing the structure of the iPhone OS could not come to an agreement. but as a computer science student I definitely understand the complexity of having to have it in direct interference with the kernel security, not being allowed to become much higher level but at the same time having to take in hand every possible scenario of usage with apps (that are higher level)

You see what we all do here sometimes. We make a quick statement without really thinking it through. Then when we do, we relise that we really do understand the issues. Most things aren't as simple as they seem to be on the surface.
  • Reply 71 of 170
    Quote:

You see what we all do here sometimes. We make a quick statement without really thinking it through. Then when we do, we relise that we really do understand the issues. Most things aren't as simple as they seem to be on the surface.

and that is why we have communities on the internet, so that we can learn form each other
  • Reply 72 of 170
    Quote:

and that is why we have communities on the internet, so that we can learn form each other

That's the idea.
  • Reply 73 of 170
    Quote:

let us say Im watching a movie, listening to a song or are in a middle of a video game, and I suddenly want to look something up on wikipedia. or read a newly received SMS or whatnow.. I'm not saying you need a gigabyte of RAM so that you can have 30 apps running simultaneously. but having the opportunity to not be forced to interrupt something (or wait for it to finish) to be able to do something else should be something you can ask from a smartphone.. it is supposed to be the high end variation of a cellphone in a very technically advanced society

That's better solved in the application... its not hard for an app to save/restore its state... oh look, mail, google maps, safari, notes, etc already do it!
  • Reply 74 of 170
    inameiname Posts: 5member
    I read so many people complaining about the lack of background applications! But can one of you give me at least ONE SIMPLE reason, why we need it?

I (and i think many others to) could give you at least one reason for no background app: battery life!
  • Reply 75 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It really IS all about the lens and the CMOS and the lighting and shadow detail. For example, take a high quality image and res it down to 2 MP. In comparison to anything the iPhone can produce the difference is huge.

Point taken but I still believe there is room to improve upon the existing camera regardless of wether the images can compare to those taken with stand alone units. I happen to think the pictures taken with the iphone turn out pretty good at times, but the implimitation is lacking. Give us 1 or 2 more mp's so that print-outs appear a little less grainy and add a little more in the way of native functionality. Plenty of great apps to take it from there.
  • Reply 76 of 170
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What was that stat I saw last week ...? iPhone users account for 60% or more of smart phones accessing the web while the Blackberry users didn't reach 1%. I'd say iPhone users are too busy to worry about impressing their friends

I guess brillant people browse the web on a 2 inch screen. Trolls use their phone for phone calls and browse the web on a PC.

No one owns an iPhone and keeps it quiet. Everybody has to hear about it. I wonder why?
  • Reply 77 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hapalibashi View Post

That's better solved in the application... its not hard for an app to save/restore its state... oh look, mail, google maps, safari, notes, etc already do it!

I gave specific examples of situations where a save would be "long-winded" (I want to say omständig). it wouldnt be a good design to save a position in a movie and even less in a song. and there are many games that don't use the save game-system but rather the checkpoint-system so that you can start again from the highest level you've reached (this is particularly common in smartphone-games that are often designed to kill smaller portions of time then desktop licence games)
  • Reply 78 of 170
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

I have to say I completely agree with that... People!! Are we not going a bit too far????

Why does it seem so important to some of you to be able to run an app, while you are using another one (using CPU, RAM, ......).....???? When you can just close that one, open the new one, which takes 2 seconds and that is it..... Is this not going to make the phone potentially slower?? (unless the iphone hardware is so powerful it won't take any notice of this increased demand.... I don't know about these technical things, so it may be my lack of knowledge....). Is it not going to drain the battery even faster???

And my last say is...... the only useful thing I could see for this multitasking feature is something quite annoying.....Example: you are using an app, Safari, writing an email or whatever... and suddenly receive a text.... you click view it.... and then what you were doing is gone and then you have to go back and open the previous one again!!! GRRRRRRR So yes and no..... I want multitasking if I can go back straight away to my previous app, in that example, or similar situation, but not in all of them...... (if that makes sense.... hahahaa I can see all your confused faces.... haha )

Many of the business class Unified Communications apps are required to run in the background, these are apps that connect you to your office phone system for presence, messaging and call alerts etc.. presently iPhone is not supported and that means that there are many businesses out there who will not even consider buying an iPhone.
  • Reply 79 of 170
    Quote:

"Another key developer feature in the iPhone OS 3.0 beta software is the ability for apps to interface with proprietary hardware accessories manufactured by third-party accessory makers, creating a whole new element of control for iPhone and iPod touch accessory developers as well as a new ecosystem of solutions for customers."

so does the new software mean i might be able to use a bluetooth keyboard with the iphone?
  • Reply 80 of 170
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Perhaps you'd be better served if you provided examples of companies who are offering something more innovative then the iPhone.

Quote:

not really, I think it's great that it has gained Apple additional popularity in the US though.. however, in sweden, the iPhone is associated with "white trash" (no other Apple product is)

(I really hope noone takes offence by that )