App Store audience hits 30 million users, 13M iPod touches sold

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
At its preview of the new iPhone 3.0 platform, Apple has finally revealed sales figures for iPhones and iPod touch units together: 30 million devices. The company noted that it has sold 17 million iPhones, leaving 13 million iPod touch sales.

The presentation by Greg Joswiak, Apple's VP of product marketing for iPods and iPhones, also detailed that Apple has shipped 800,000,000 apps from iTunes in the first eight months, which is well ahead of the previous pace to reach a billion apps in its first year. In comparison, it took Apple two years to reach its first billion song downloads.

Joswiak said the store now boasts 25,000 titles and has signed up 50,000 companies in the iPhone developer program. He said 80% had never developed mobile software before.

He added that Apple has managed to approve 96% of apps submitted this month, and that 98% of those apps were approved in less than 7 days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    APPL $97 and rising. Can it go higher?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

APPL $97 and rising. Can it go higher?

Yes yes yes!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    OK, as a new developer I'm pretty excited with the new announcements. Fantastic stuff!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Come on, nice announcements, glad you've got millions of users, announce the cut and paste please!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I love my Touch.

My precious.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Come on, nice announcements, glad you've got millions of users, announce the cut and paste please!!!!

There you go! U got it !!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

There you go! U got it !!

YAY!!! About time, woohoo!!!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    800,000 million...

that's a lot of apps!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody needs third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really really SWEET.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    OMG! There's SOO much more coming in 3.0. Love it!!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

OMG! There's SOO much more coming in 3.0. Love it!!

Will any of it affect the iPod Touch?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Will any of it affect the iPod Touch?

For $9.95, yes!
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Was anything mentioned about tethering? I would love to get rid of my Sprint AirCard. Sorry about the cross post. I should of found this thread first.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

OK, as a new developer I'm pretty excited with the new announcements. Fantastic stuff!

Congratulations! May you live and prosper!

You can let us know what you are doing.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by firehire View Post

Was anything mentioned about tethering? I would love to get rid of my Sprint AirCard. Sorry about the cross post. I should of found this thread first.

They said they are working with the carriers, but it sounds like it's on the way.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by firehire View Post

Yes, they said it was coming. They also said that it's a two part process. One is the client side, which they are taking care of. Two is the network side. They are working with the 25 carriers to make it happen on their side.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    cool im an idiot
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Congratulations! May you live and prosper!

You can let us know what you are doing.

We're a small team right now, but it's pretty exciting to be doing something like this... especially since I haven't done any programming since high school! I'll keep everyone updated once we have something worth looking at. Thanks.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody needs third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really really SWEET.

• Reply 20 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At its preview of the new iPhone 3.0 platform, Apple has finally revealed sales figures for iPhones and iPod touch units together: 30 million devices. The company noted that it has sold 17 million iPhones, leaving 13 million iPod touch sales.

I would had thought that the iPod Touch sales numbers would not only have exceeded the iPhone sales numbers, but have at least doubled it.