iPhone 3.0: 100 new features for users; 1,000 new APIs for devs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 170
    djbetadjbeta Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arteckx View Post

I don't think they should be restricting this to paid apps. It seems like it would be an even better feature for free apps. Instead of developers releasing a free and a paid version, they could just release the free version and use this new system to add the levels/features that are present in the paid version. As a user, I don't want to buy an app that then asks for more money. Either give me the real price for the full experience upfront or give me the app free and let me choose if I want more.

I MAY disagree here.. I think that it makes sense to only allow paid apps to have this feature because otherwise the store would become overrun with free trial versions of everything. wouldn't that get a little bit annoying..? no more free useful stuff..

i'm torn

• Reply 102 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Ah, there we go again with the "European and Japanes phone users are SOOOOO far ahead of US" nonsense.

What they have is unusable phones with tons of useless features that can't be used.

This is just typical european US-envy.

Having lived in Europe for two years, I'd gladly adopt their mobile model. We're getting screwed in N. America on contracts and billing. My God, the things Canadian carriers are permitted to charge for.

Europe has vastly superior SMS charge policies, interoperability between networks is great, contracts are better for consumers and...when highway robbery roaming charges get ya down, just pop in a local pay as ya go SIM card and gt a local number for people to call you at. So civilized.

And in Japan they can watch live TV on their phones. So, c'mon...the "envy" you speak of is a little misplaced.

Another thing, let's not assume all cultures will use technologies in the same way.
  • Reply 103 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hellooooo... RED... Jim Jannard... are you listening?

Helloooooooooo Canon! Make me a sexy consumer iPhone camera attachment!
  • Reply 104 of 170
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

Personally...I have cursed not having cut and paste almost everyday and have been extremely irritated with Apple for forcing me to come up with ridiculous work-arounds for a so-called feature that has been around since before Windows 3.1.

You're being ironic, right? The only reason Windows has copy and paste as it is today is because Apple designed it the right way back in Mac OS 1.0 (or perhaps for the Lisa, but I've never seen one). Copy and paste wasn't a ubiquitous system-level function until the Mac introduced it.

Also, next time you hit Ctrl-C, Cntl-V, thank Apple. It took a few versions before MS realized that ctrl-insert and whatever the other keystroke they used for paste sucked hard.
  • Reply 105 of 170
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

You're being ironic, right? The only reason Windows has copy and paste as it is today is because Apple designed it the right way back in Mac OS 1.0 (or perhaps for the Lisa, but I've never seen one). Copy and paste wasn't a ubiquitous system-level function until the Mac introduced it.

Also, next time you hit Ctrl-C, Cntl-V, thank Apple. It took a few versions before MS realized that ctrl-insert and whatever the other keystroke they used for paste sucked hard.

Right, and how long did it take Apple to realize that we needed a 2 button mouse? The next time your middle finger hits that right click button on your mighty mouse remember where it originated.

It also took 2 years and 2 version of OS before Apple realized that the iPhone needed MMS?

Can we all just move on from this stupid state of the blame game and who came first

It's so tired and pointless.
  • Reply 106 of 170
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Now i could care less about a 'good' built-in camera... The news is about the ability to provide software for devices plugged into the dock connector.

If any of the camera companies are smart, we might now see camera bodies to which you connect the touch/iPhone as a controller/preview.

THEN we'll start seeing some quality... great lenses, zoom, flash etc with the ability to update the software on the controller.

Camera quality on a phone is a dead end because after a certain point, its all about the lenses. We now have that option, if anyone will wake up and do it.

And musicians can start connecting their midi rigs through the dock connector and the iPhone/touch becomes a GREAT performance controller.

Not sure if a later post already said this - but I could easily imagine a snap-on case that incorporates not only a video camera - but also an SD card slot (or micro SD, etc) and an extended battery etc - which would allow you to add 8GB or 16GB or even 32GB for the video storage - and then you could simply pop the card out and stick it into a card reader or USB stick and copy the file directly to PC or Mac with or without iTunes without needing to do a sync. Perhaps even add a separate app to access the files on the SD card to move and share files etc.
  • Reply 107 of 170
    the iphone is kinda growing at the rate of a child.... like, idk. its getting older. and smarter. like, idk.
  • Reply 108 of 170
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Many of us are simply looking for something a bit better than what is currently offered. How about a 3 or 4 mp upgrade with added functionality? I don't think that's too much to ask for at this point.

Picture quality is NOT about megapixels. In fact, cramming more megapixels into a smaller space increases noise and makes the camera WORSE.

If anything, they should just leave it as it. It's a camera phone, not a DSLR.

And as far as video recording goes... meh. It's a novelty at best, but sending most video over the air would require at least a 3G connection, and people would STILL find a way to complain.
  • Reply 109 of 170
    ohruffohruff Posts: 1member
    Where is the A2DP and Flash support? The ipod/iphone is supposed to be this great music/video/web device and can't even support bluetooth A2DP? Flash is everywhere, no flash. How retarded is this?

Seriously, this is ridiculous and has been going on way too long. If I was Steve Jobs I would be very embarrassed about this. It's bad enough that you don't allow this phone to come unlocked and jailbroken for all the money spent on this device. At least implement something as simple as A2DP and flash video. Everybody wants this. I am speaking for everybody!!!!!!
  • Reply 110 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evanmixon View Post

the iphone is kinda growing at the rate of a child....

Meaning what? Don't follow....
  • Reply 111 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohruff View Post

Where is the A2DP and Flash support? ..... Everybody wants this. I am speaking for everybody!!!!!!

Gee, thanks. Just so you are not under the wrong impression, you are not speaking for me. I can speak for myself, and I give a hoot about A2DP or Flash.
  • Reply 112 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right, and how long did it take Apple to realize that we needed a 2 button mouse? The next time your middle finger hits that right click button on your mighty mouse remember where it originated.

It also took 2 years and 2 version of OS before Apple realized that the iPhone needed MMS?

Can we all just move on from this stupid state of the blame game and who came first

It's so tired and pointless.

We had the ability to use a two button mouse for many years before Apple provided one. Anyone could have gone out and purchased a cheap 2 or three button mouse back in the '90's.

Aftermarket mice and trackballs are a very big business.
  • Reply 113 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Picture quality is NOT about megapixels. In fact, cramming more megapixels into a smaller space increases noise and makes the camera WORSE.

If anything, they should just leave it as it. It's a camera phone, not a DSLR.

And as far as video recording goes... meh. It's a novelty at best, but sending most video over the air would require at least a 3G connection, and people would STILL find a way to complain.

I would like to see 3.2 to 3.5 MP. That's the rez needed to read standard bar codes. That would open up a lot of possibilities.

More than that is a waste for a camera phone at this time. We would need a jump in sensor technology and processing for anything bigger to be of much use without charging too much for the camera. And then we'd need better, and more expensive lenses.
  • Reply 114 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohruff View Post

Where is the A2DP and Flash support? The ipod/iphone is supposed to be this great music/video/web device and can't even support bluetooth A2DP? Flash is everywhere, no flash. How retarded is this?

Seriously, this is ridiculous and has been going on way too long. If I was Steve Jobs I would be very embarrassed about this. It's bad enough that you don't allow this phone to come unlocked and jailbroken for all the money spent on this device. At least implement something as simple as A2DP and flash video. Everybody wants this. I am speaking for everybody!!!!!!

Apparently, from todays presentation, A2DP is here with the 3.0 OS.

Flash is something that Adobe has to get right. That's something you should complain about on an Adobe forum.

Apple has standards for performance. As Jobs said way back, when the software gives the desktop experience without breaking the back of the phone, we will get it.

Now go and bother Adobe.
  • Reply 115 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not true either. RIM is desperately trying to capture that market. That's why most of their new phones dropped the easy to type on keyboard. Now, sending e-mails on many newer Blackberry's is difficult. The Storm, for example, has been said to be terrible for e-mail. I've got plenty of reviews of it if you want the links. The same for their other "consumer" phones. RIM no longer knows what they are.

As the iPhone moves into business in a big way, even though Apple wasn't interested in that in the beginning, RIM is trying, not as successfully, to try making it in the consumer market.

What I said is 100% true, that does not make you wrong, just means that you are answering a different question!

Up to now the users of Blackberry's have mostly been business users, the Blackberry while having a browser has never been marketed or thought of as a browsing device, the screen is too small for one.

But now Blackberry is trying to capitlise on the iPhone's success and is venturing more into the consumer area with products like the Storm. But they are not dropping their other models, the curve is still there, the Bold is still there. These are business devices and will continue to be the most sold models (companies tend to buy these phones not the users).

As consumer take up of the Storm and future models grows then yes Blackberry web browsing will also grow.

But that does not make what I said wrong. Just about everyone I know has a Blackberry and apart from the odd times nobody uses it as a browsing machine (they have netbooks for that). My comment was that there is nothing at all in the stats that say 60% of smartphone browsing is from Iphones simply because the iPhone is a device that it is possible to browse the web on (due to the screen size) and the people who buy it are buying it with web surfing in mind. Not like the majority of Blackberry users who still are, and will always be business users.
  • Reply 116 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

What I said is 100% true, that does not make you wrong, just means that you are answering a different question!

Up to now the users of Blackberry's have mostly been business users, the Blackberry while having a browser has never been marketed or thought of as a browsing device, the screen is too small for one.

But now Blackberry is trying to capitlise on the iPhone's success and is venturing more into the consumer area with products like the Storm. But they are not dropping their other models, the curve is still there, the Bold is still there. These are business devices and will continue to be the most sold models (companies tend to buy these phones not the users).

As consumer take up of the Storm and future models grows then yes Blackberry web browsing will also grow.

But that does not make what I said wrong. Just about everyone I know has a Blackberry and apart from the odd times nobody uses it as a browsing machine (they have netbooks for that). My comment was that there is nothing at all in the stats that say 60% of smartphone browsing is from Iphones simply because the iPhone is a device that it is possible to browse the web on (due to the screen size) and the people who buy it are buying it with web surfing in mind. Not like the majority of Blackberry users who still are, and will always be business users.

This was your post:

Quote:

Blackberry users are too smart to try and surf the web on a phone, they wait until they are in front of a PC.

Blackberrys are not web browsing devices, they are for email, voice and unified communications. They run many apps (even more than one at a time) that access the web such as location based services and unified communications clients. But they are not really aimed at web use unless it is to quickly check out an address to read the news.

Those stats mean nothing at all.

I responded directly to that. It's not true. First of all, browsing on the internet was, and is, such a lousy experience for the Blackberry users that can do it, that most don't bother once they've tried it.

But RIM knows very well that it's one of the most important business applications around right now, approaching e-mail. They also know that Apple, without even trying, broke into the business world with ver 1 of their OS, and more so with ver 2. They see that with Apple's number 1 rating from business users, where the Blackberry was rated considerably lower, they run the risk of their customers moving to the iPhone.

To balance that risk, they are trying to copy the iPhone as much as possible, while giving it a bit of a twist, in order to move into the consumer market. They can only grow so much being tied to business.

But Blackberry users were able to browse, if you would be so kind as to use that word for it, the internet for quite a while before the iPhone came out.

The stats matter, because organizations that care about who is seeing them will look to the iPhone, as they are doing, when they design their services. That's why it's important.

The Storm is bad because it's very difficult to type on. The click screen takes a lot of pressure. I've tried it. You have to depress the entire screen, which is sealed around the edge. After a few words, your finger becomes tired. It's almost impossible to type two thumb style.

And with most BB's going to a narrow vertical format, the keyboards are now small, and no better than anyone else's, which was not true before.

If they're not careful, they won't get much consumer acceptance, and will lose the business crowd as well.
  • Reply 117 of 170
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This was your post:

I responded directly to that. It's not true. First of all, browsing on the internet was, and is, such a lousy experience for the Blackberry users that can do it, that most don't bother once they've tried it.

Okay, I can see where you are coming from.

When I said Blackberry users are too smart to browse the web on a phone I didn't mean that anyone who uses an IPhone is not smart, I meant exactly what you said in that Blackberry users are smart enough not too as the experience is not brilliant. Of course browsing on an iPhone is better. It is not perfect (I have an iPod Touch) but it better than a Blackberry.

However I still think that there is much less need for browsing from a Blackberry. I cannot imagine what I would bother for, I browse at my desk and email when I am out of the office (which is most of the time) but very, very rarely ever have the need during my day to browse the web on my phone. I am too busy.

Business users and home users do use their phones for every different reasons, and will always continue to do so. One day there will be a device that meets the best of both worlds, but it is not yet the iPhone nor the Blackberry. The Blackberry have still got work to do to make a phone as useful for playtime as it does for worktime, but to be honest the iPhone is still a long way from being anywhere near as good as the Blackberry for worktime and is even further away from becoming an attractive option for corporate buyers.

Half the problem is that the iPhone is just too good of a playtime phone, trust me business prefer phones that are not so fun. I think that Apple could do worse than release an iPhone business model, with an email system as good and as secure as RIM's and maybe even with proper keys!! and tone down the fun side of it.

But still, without the ability to run apps in the background, iPhone is nowhere yet. To be honest I don't think it ever will be, Apple just don't seem interested in the corporate world for their computers and as such will find it difficult to get their phones on peoples desks too. I used to have grand ideas of Apple taking on the corporate world but that dream is almost dead now, Apple are becoming more and more of a toy company everyday.
  • Reply 118 of 170
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

even I could write an algorithm for copy-paste.. god only knows the reason for Apple not implementing it initially

Just go away and don't bother posting here again.

You are clearly just trying to wind people up with your idiotic posts.

If you don't like the iPhone then why waste your time trying to put it down all the time.

Could it be jealousy? There must be some emotion that is making you waste so much of your time posting comments about a product that you don't lie or want. How do you explain your posts?
  • Reply 119 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Okay, I can see where you are coming from.

When I said Blackberry users are too smart to browse the web on a phone I didn't mean that anyone who uses an IPhone is not smart, I meant exactly what you said in that Blackberry users are smart enough not too as the experience is not brilliant. Of course browsing on an iPhone is better. It is not perfect (I have an iPod Touch) but it better than a Blackberry.

However I still think that there is much less need for browsing from a Blackberry. I cannot imagine what I would bother for, I browse at my desk and email when I am out of the office (which is most of the time) but very, very rarely ever have the need during my day to browse the web on my phone. I am too busy.

Business users and home users do use their phones for every different reasons, and will always continue to do so. One day there will be a device that meets the best of both worlds, but it is not yet the iPhone nor the Blackberry. The Blackberry have still got work to do to make a phone as useful for playtime as it does for worktime, but to be honest the iPhone is still a long way from being anywhere near as good as the Blackberry for worktime and is even further away from becoming an attractive option for corporate buyers.

Half the problem is that the iPhone is just too good of a playtime phone, trust me business prefer phones that are not so fun. I think that Apple could do worse than release an iPhone business model, with an email system as good and as secure as RIM's and maybe even with proper keys!! and tone down the fun side of it.

But still, without the ability to run apps in the background, iPhone is nowhere yet. To be honest I don't think it ever will be, Apple just don't seem interested in the corporate world for their computers and as such will find it difficult to get their phones on peoples desks too. I used to have grand ideas of Apple taking on the corporate world but that dream is almost dead now, Apple are becoming more and more of a toy company everyday.

Well, at least we seem to understand each other.

I have to say though, that there are a lot of business apps that use the internet. It's not the same as browsing, but internet use is becoming important for business users. I'm not even talking about the generic web apps. Apps that sit on the phone and go through the internet for their services are on the iPhone in ever larger numbers, and a number of them are from big companies.

RIM will have to deal with this too.
  • Reply 120 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Just go away and don't bother posting here again.

You are clearly just trying to wind people up with your idiotic posts.

If you don't like the iPhone then why waste your time trying to put it down all the time.

Could it be jealousy? There must be some emotion that is making you waste so much of your time posting comments about a product that you don't lie or want. How do you explain your posts?

Don't be so quick!

He's not trolling. Read the rest of the conversation we had.