iPhone OS 3.0 first impressions and photos [Updated]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    Was any mention made of a unified mailbox?

By that, I mean one Inbox that contains multiple mail accounts. Mail.app does this in OS 10; it's very annoying on the iPhone to have to navigate up and down between multiple accounts.

Also:

Is Messages app replacing SMS? It sounds like there will be one app now to handle all messages/chat.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Good article.

I'm looking forward to seeing what third party developers do with the new functionality.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

only thing is MMS Disabled in the Beta cause I can get it to send a normal text message but whenever try to send a message with a picture it fails :'(

I haven't even worked out how to switch the messages app into MMS mode yet..

Even selecting a contact and selecting send as MMS brings up a standard blank SMS window. I just assumed it wasn't implemented in this beta but since you're saying you managed to add a picture now I'm not so sure.
  • Reply 44 of 101
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What part of "system-wide" don't you understand?

So are you confirming it does? Or just being arrogant? We can see text being copied, but "system-wide" does not imply anything other than text is supported, but rather text in any part of the system where it can be typed in.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    Anyone now if there still is a 9 page limit for Apps?
  • Reply 46 of 101
    Can anyone tell me if you can turn off landscape view when texting? I think I'm about the only person in the world that doesnt want this feature and it will drive me insane!
  • Reply 47 of 101
    looks good so far to me.

all i care about is

Widescreen Keyboard, MMS, and Copy/Paste.

if they can release those without a hitch, i'll be one happy man.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subversive_element View Post

Can anyone tell me if you can turn off landscape view when texting? I think I'm about the only person in the world that doesnt want this feature and it will drive me insane!

I'd think it would be depending on which way up you hold it, like in Safari.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    Thats not what I mean though.

When I'm lying in bed texting, holding my phone horizontally (Vertically to my perspective) i will need to always hold it vertically bring up the keyboard then move it back to type. Thats just annoying.

Its nice that apple is introducing these new features, but give us some choice. 1 size does NOT fit all.

I really don't like using the landscape keyboard, its too big, and the keys are in the wrong place compared to what I'm used to.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I'm still waiting for iCal to have even half the features that Clarisworks Calendar had back in 1997.

So don't hold your breath.

Apple is is 12 YEARS behind in calendar technology... not good.

Oh.... I just HAVE to ask what phone that Clarisworks version from 1997 was running on....?

• Reply 51 of 101
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Nice overview Kasper. Looking forward to my first iPhone in June-July...

same here

I hope they make it iMac like with a silky matte back and a shiny black apple.

My only worry seems to be the disparity with the copy paste thing. It's two taps in Mail and one hold tap in Safari? Because two taps in Safari equals zoom? Also the shake to delete is making me nervous to hold the phone. Why not Ctrl - Z? And what if you want to delete the second last copy paste you did? Do you have to delete the final copy paste as well? Hmm, I guess I will have to try it out in Summertime
  • Reply 52 of 101
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Is there anyway the 3.0 software can be installed on a regular iphone? Or is the only way to get it onto the phone thru the SDK software?

Basically can the 3.0 firmware package be downloaded and if you tell itunes where it is, update the phone?
  • Reply 53 of 101
    bytorbytor Posts: 29member
    I was wondering if there were changes made to contacts and appointments. Have they built in the ability to add a contact to a calendar event via a simple lookup button? Conversely, have they added the ability to create an appointment when in contacts?

Gregg
  • Reply 54 of 101
    In particular when you share and email to friends what format of audio file would be attached?
  • Reply 55 of 101
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Can you copy and paste pictures from a website?
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Can you copy and paste pictures from a website?

Not sure, but you know that in the current firmware you can already save images from a website by holding down on a picture and selecting "Save Image"
  • Reply 57 of 101
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Is there anyway the 3.0 software can be installed on a regular iphone? Or is the only way to get it onto the phone thru the SDK software?

Basically can the 3.0 firmware package be downloaded and if you tell itunes where it is, update the phone?

You may find it on torrent sites... But beware that installing it on an iPhone that is not registered as a development iPhone on the iPhone Developer Portal will render your iPhone totally useless (because you won't be able to activate it anymore).
  • Reply 58 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

So are you confirming it does? Or just being arrogant? We can see text being copied, but "system-wide" does not imply anything other than text is supported, but rather text in any part of the system where it can be typed in.

HTML mark-ups and photos are also supported by cut, copy & paste. It might support more, but maybe not demonstrated due to time constraints. How it operates was demonstrated in yesterday's presentation video. It is long, but having seen it, I highly recommend watching it, there is a lot of information packed in there. I think a way to send calendar events might have been mentioned.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

only thing is MMS Disabled in the Beta cause I can get it to send a normal text message but whenever try to send a message with a picture it fails :'(

I read on another site that this may be blocked by your service provider and not the phone. Be sure to check with your provider whether MMS is enabled for your account.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What part of "system-wide" don't you understand?

From all that I've read, no one has attempted it on a calendar event. Events hold a lot more data that just words or a link. There's notes, alerts, time, etc, embedded into it. Have you personally done it or are you just a smartass like most of the people?