Dell unveils heavier, more expensive MacBook Air rival

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Dell is the number one computer manufacturer in the world ...

I thought they lost that title to HP again recently.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Last time I checked 1799 is less than 1999, who cares about the SSD, why didn't you mention that the Air is also faster?

It should also be noted that there are differences in SSD drives, I'd be curious to know how the grade of the Adamo SSD matches up against the one Apple offers as an upgrade. Anyone know if Adamo is using a 2.5" or 1.8" SSD?
  • Reply 63 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

At first I thought I wandered onto a PC discussion thread where Windows users criticize any and all Mac products.

Let's give credit where it's due. This thing isn't going to drive Mac users to Dell, but it is a huge step in the right direction.

It has a lot going for it. Aluminum and black and thin. The price competition will be helpful to keep Apple on the true and level. Competition for design is always a great thing. We should applaud any and all efforts to beautify the world.

And we should stop sounding like PC users who crap on everything Apple.

i agree. competition is good. how worthy it turns out to be is another story.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

i agree. competition is good. how worthy it turns out to be is another story.

You can never fault competition, although it's a little bit grating to see many of the "issues" the Air had be accepted so readily. It does validate some of the choices Apple made when designing the Air and had the release dates been reversed, had Dell launched first I can only think of people claiming that "Apple did it better."

Let's not take things away from Dell here. This is a pretty ballsy move for a company in the PC market. Not only are they trying to be stylish, but they're trying to be different. Although, as Dell themselves admit, it's very much style over performance, it looks more and more like they too envisage a transition away from a tethered world to a wireless environment.

You can't fault them for trying.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    paprochypaprochy Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

just use the 802.11 instead of the usb connection to the external HD. the superdrive really is only necessary for installing windows in boot camp as long as you have a stationary computer with optical drive at home. I never have had any need for an additional USB port with my MBA

This is important to me since I've been going through hell trying to install XP on my MBP with a busted superdrive. Is it really true that you can install XP from a USB external superdrive? The reason I am skeptical is because I had to jump through some seriously fiery hoops (in the form of custom install environments etc.) to get the windows installer to work from a USB pen drive. Yet still, I wasn't even able to get it to work. How does it work with the USB superdrive??
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

Is it really true that you can install XP from a USB external superdrive?

Yes! I have done it and it works fine. You definitely can't install Windows to BootCamp using the remote drive.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Let's see the insides first before we talk about good design. I assume Dell copied Ive's design principles with the internal layout. Mind you, you still have to be a very good designer to pull of something comparable with Apple internals.

I am expecting a shit fight inside that dell. Perhaps there will be magnitic coverplates to cover other crap
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adrian.oconnor View Post

Yes! I have done it and it works fine. You definitely can't install Windows to BootCamp using the remote drive.

Thanks for the info. I guess that's something I'll have to try. I assume that if it works with an external superdrive, it should work with an external drive of any kind. Or is there something special about the one apple makes?
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adrian.oconnor View Post

Thanks for the info. I guess that's something I'll have to try. I assume that if it works with an external superdrive, it should work with an external optical drive of any kind. Or is there something special about the one apple makes?
  • Reply 70 of 82
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

This is important to me since I've been going through hell trying to install XP on my MBP with a busted superdrive. Is it really true that you can install XP from a USB external superdrive? The reason I am skeptical is because I had to jump through some seriously fiery hoops (in the form of custom install environments etc.) to get the windows installer to work from a USB pen drive. Yet still, I wasn't even able to get it to work. How does it work with the USB superdrive??

this is what I've read on some apple knowledge base-article. that you need the external superdrive. I can't really recall the article saying exactly how.. I guess it's only to use the boot camp assistant?

It might me more or less a requirement to have a proper eternal optical drive. another option would be to make a boot camp partition on another mac with optical drive and then make the partition into a image-file and then make a partition on the MBA from the image file
  • Reply 71 of 82
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vv la Vv View Post

You can never fault competition, although it's a little bit grating to see many of the "issues" the Air had be accepted so readily.

perhaps dell saw they could be readily accepted, not because of the air, but because of that horrible nascent market full of netbooks? That Dell itself is involved in? then using style as a way of gouging customers out of as much margin as possible
  • Reply 72 of 82
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There are two Dells: The first, often referenced on this website, offers very low-cost consumer boxes with dubious durability and reliability. The second, mentioned by silentdrowning, is the Dell that offers the sturdily built, if ugly, OptiPlex under my desk at work and backs it with prompt, competent support--all at prices that any long time Mac user wouldn't blink at. I suspect that much of Dell's money is made on their enterprise contracts.

It's hard to tell without an in-depth look, but the Adamo looks to come more from the second Dell than the first. It's a different take on the executive notebook than the MBA is. I can see the argument for trading CPU and GPU power for SSD, given that the most taxing thing most executives are going to run is PowerPoint. The styling is far more conservative, which makes sense for Dell's audience.

I would not say that it's better than the Air, but it's not a bad first try. The weakest link, IMO, is that it manages to be a full pound heavier. Someone at Dell needs to work on that.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Oh really? Then why do I seem to recall the fact that the only reason people buy Dell computers is that you can get a Desktop from them for under $500? Dell is the number one computer manufacturer in the world because its products are so cheap, and everyone knows it.

Rubbish!

I own a Dell XPS laptop that I use for work, it is a $2000 laptop and is without doubt the best laptop I have ever owned. I also own a MacBook Pro btw.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    MBA killer? Hardly, this reminds me of the other Dell product that was a supposed "killer" of an Apple product. That would be the Dell DJ - remember that?

I'm not a notebook/laptop fan in the first place, but this reminds of something you'd see on a desk in some 80's B sci-fi flick or Miami Vice. Square, pointy and industrial, okay if you like that sort of thing. 'If' I was a laptop person, it would be a 17" MBP or nothing.

Nice try, Dell.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post

MBA killer? Hardly, this reminds me of the other Dell product that was a supposed "killer" of an Apple product. That would be the Dell DJ - remember that?

I'm not a notebook/laptop fan in the first place, but this reminds of something you'd see on a desk in some 80's B sci-fi flick or Miami Vice. Square, pointy and industrial, okay if you like that sort of thing. 'If' I was a laptop person, it would be a 17" MBP or nothing.

Nice try, Dell.

But you missing the fact that sales of this laptop will no doubt eclipse those of the MacBook Air this year. So of course it is an MBA killer, simply because Dell will sell more of them.

Is that too difficult to understand?
  • Reply 76 of 82
    cggrcggr Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dell on Tuesday took aim at Apple's high-end portable computing dominance with a new design-focused Adamo notebook, but the PC maker is already facing questions about the machine's viability in a slumping economy.

The Round Rock, Texas-based PC maker has been teasing the public for months, and has now finally taken the wraps off the the notebook and begun accepting preorders for shipments due next week. At a weight of four pounds, it's a pound heavier than the MacBook Air.

The LED-backlit 13.4-inch, 16:9 HD-screened notebook is being touted as the thinnest in the world. Dell claims the new Adamo brand was "inspired by fashion, luxury brands and timeless design" to "challenge people's perceptions of what a computer is." For $1,999 customers get an ultra-low voltage 1.2GHz Core 2 Duo with integrated Intel graphics, 2GB of RAM, and a 128GB SSD. Dell refers to this option as "ADMIRE" on the website.

A higher-end model dubbed "DESIRE" is priced at $2,699. The speed increases to 1.4GHz, memory is doubled to 4GB, and a 3G modem is included. All machines have Ethernet, DisplayPort, and three USB connectors along with a claimed battery life of five hours and a MacBook Pro-style backlit keyboard. (One USB port is also a combo eSATA port.) The Adamo runs 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium Edition SP1.

"Style-minded people who place a premium on precision craftsmanship and design can now add Adamo to their list of must-have items for 2009," Dell says.

The company is also being careful to avoid the Intel and Microsoft stickers typically found on most Windows-based notebooks. The stickers are gone from the top case, moved to the bottom with monochrome-printed logos, and the Crave blog at CNET News reports the Adamo's magnetic coverplate is intended to hide Microsoft-required certification on the bottom.

"We are definitely trying to shift the perception of Dell to one of fashion and style," said director of consumer marketing John New. "But we're not going to do a piece of jewelry just to do one. We're focusing on the fashion instead of the IT [information technology]. We want the user to be presented with this and feel special about what they're getting."

Dell offers "optional luxury packages", such as a Jet-Setter bundle that adds a DVD burner, Tumi case, Microsoft Office Home and a year of premium service for $389. The Entrepreneur bundle ($339) removes the burner and Tumi case for a 250GB external hard drive. An external Blu-ray drive and 500GB external hard drive are also available. Like the MacBook Air, the notebook has no built-in optical drive, and the internal battery can only be replaced by sending the machine to a depot for an unspecified period, according to Macworld UK.

Dell claims the Adamo is the first product under a new brand, also called Adamo. While this machine hasn't been given an official name, a Dell support document dug up by Engadget refers to an "Adamo 13" and "Adamo 9", hinting a nine-inch version is on the way soon. Orders placed on the website currently are for the "Adamo Thirteen."

While Dell is pushing its 0.65-inch thinnest point, the title of "thinnest notebook" is likely to be subjective to each buyer, as the Adamo does not share the tapered design of the MacBook Air that Apple says ranges from 0.16- to 0.76-inch. Dell's latest offering conceals a webcam behind an edge-to-edge glass display. Also like the MacBook Air, it's made from a single piece of aluminum. The device packs 802.11n wireless and Bluetooth. Customers can choose between black ("onyx") or white ("pearl").

"Great design needs to be timeless and evoke emotion in people," said Dell senior vice president of consumer products Alex Gruzen. "While a premium computing experience was assumed for Adamo, the intent was for people to see, touch and explore Adamo and be rewarded by the select materials and craftsmanship you would expect in a fine watch."

The unboxing experience has also taken a cue from Apple. Dell refers to "artful packaging" in which the "product arrives 'floating' in a clear box with minimal clutter."

Interestingly, Dell also provided comments from analyst (and previously an undisclosed paid Dell consultant) Rob Enderle, who praised the machine as a "showcase" of Dell's design and "a flagship product that will draw buyers to the brand."

Reaction

Dell's campaign uses a "fall in love" motif, given that the word "Adamo" means just that. Visitors to the website, Adamo by Dell, are first greeted with artfully posed models sliding across the screen before the viewer is invited to "prepare to fall in love." The site is divided into four sections: Encounter, Discover, Admire, and Commit. It's clear that Dell is seeking to change its image as a budget PC maker, but the timing could be problematic.

Crave: "[The price tag] seems entirely out of touch with the current economic reality. Debuting a $1,999 Windows PC right now is questionable at best, but make no mistake: whether Dell actually sells a lot of these makes little difference to the comapny, even if it won't say that publicly...it's a statement about how Dell wants to be perceived from now on."

Engadget: "It looks like you're spending the majority of that cash on high-end design flourishes like a magnetic cover that hides the Microsoft-required Windows authenticity sticker. Hopefully this thing will be joined by some higher-powered siblings when it arrives...keep your fingers crossed."

AP: "The leap Dell is asking consumers to make from its core brand would be a risk in any economy, let alone the worst recession of the personal-computer age. [An analyst said] the PC maker may have a hard time gaining credibility for a high-end product that still carries the budget-friendly Dell name. He compared the move to Mariott's decision to keep its name away from its Ritz-Carlton hotels, or Toyota's choice to launch Lexus as a separate brand."

ZDNet: "Adamo arrives as netbooks are the fastest growing portion of the PC market -- because they are cheap. Check Dell's Adamo site out. Holy Vogue Batman. It's all so 2006 and 2007, maybe first half of 2008 before everything unraveled. The irony: Dell's fashion statement comes as high end retailers like Nordstrom are pitching value. Something is amiss here. But let's give credit where it's due. Dell is good at design now and Adamo proves it."

According to Reuters, shares of DELL have fallen 13 percent since the start of the year, while AAPL has seen a jump of 12 percent. Dell is outperforming HP's stock, however, which has slid 20 percent since New Year's Day.

Specifications

Intel Core 2 Duo processors with Intel Centrino technologyDDR3 system memory13.4-inch 16:9 HD displayDraft-Wireless NHigh-performance solid state drives standardBluetooth 2.1

Yeah but...It still runs windows.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

But you missing the fact that sales of this laptop will no doubt eclipse those of the MacBook Air this year. So of course it is an MBA killer, simply because Dell will sell more of them.

No they won't. Apple OWNS the +$1000 computer market, they have like 65% market share there. It is possible this will sell more than the MBA but it's definately not a certain fact, I actually think it's pretyy unlikely.

I don't even think Dell expects to sell a lot of them, it's more like a flagship product that serves as an image booster.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

No they won't. Apple OWNS the +$1000 computer market, they have like 65% market share there. It is possible this will sell more than the MBA but it's definately not a certain fact, I actually think it's pretyy unlikely.

I don't even think Dell expects to sell a lot of them, it's more like a flagship product that serves as an image booster.

Many things wrong with that figure you quoted.

Firstly, those figures are US only.

Second, and more importantly, the 65% is of the RETAIL market, not the B2B market, one would imagine a large proportion of $1000 plus windows machines are sold into business.

Thirdly, and really the crux of the matter, Apple are only so high on the plus $1000 scales because their laptops are so damn expensive when stacked up against companies like HP and DELL who usually sell well specced laptops at around the $800-$999 mark.

Apple have got only about 3% of the worldwide market.

The MBA I bet does not contribute anymore that 5% of the 65% anyway, it will not take much for Dell to sell more units this year than the MBA.

Remember Windows computers outsell Apple computers by 20-1, of course the Adamo will outsell the MBA.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Remember Windows computers outsell Apple computers by 20-1, of course the Adamo will outsell the MBA.

And remember that Dell does NOT outsell Apple 20-1.

And remember that Dell has around 20 different laptop models/sizes compared to just three for Apple.

Quote:

...., simply because Dell will sell more of them.

Not difficult at all, just not necessarily likely.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    I wonder if Ballmer's gonna complain about these and how noone wants to pay an extra $500 for the Dell logo.