Warning: Apple update may brick your Mac

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/28...rick-your-mac/

These and other folks have noted that the latest update (automatic) from Apple has laid waste to more than a few computers. I ran the update on my daughters iMac G3 and is became seriously borked. I tried everything I could think of and finally just did a fresh install from a retail Tiger disc and now she's back in business.

The machine would start just fine and then it would halt right before the login screen. I tried repairing disk permissions, PRAM, SMC reset and single user mode and nothing. I guess the word is that you should download the package and extract it onboard and then install, apparently, that is the way to avoid any issues.

How weird, so just thought I'd put that out there...

Good luck!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/28...rick-your-mac/

I hope that you are happy back there in 2008. I hate to be the first to tell you, but you guys have been in a recession for about six months. Here in 2009, we are really taking it on the chin. The recession is much worse here in 2009 than it is where you are in 2008. GM and Chrysler are in danger of going out of business. Most of our banks are in such bad shape that they need Government help. Even Toyota and Microsoft are laying-off people. Apple eliminated its enterprise operation, but it is doing much better than the Wintel manufacturers. The iPhone is helping a lot.

I know that you are anxious to find out how the Presidential campaign turned out. Barack Obama held off Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic nomination. John McCain surprised nearly everyone by naming Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska as the first female Republican Vice-President candidate. Barack Obama took a more conventional route by picking former rival Senator Joseph Biden of Delaware.

Senator McCain gave it his best shot. However, the economy collapsed during the campaign and took the McCain-Palin campaign with it. Senator Obama was elected the first African-American President of the United States. He has been in office for nearly two months. He is having his problems, but he poll numbers are very high because so many people believe that he is the only thing between them and a second Depression.

When you reach 2009, you are going to find that it is very different than 2008. You may wish that you could stay there.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I hope that you are happy back there in 2008. I hate to be the first to tell you, but you guys have been in a recession for about six months. Here in 2009, we are really taking it on the chin. The recession is much worse here in 2009 than it is where you are in 2008. GM and Chrysler are in danger of going out of business. Most of our banks are in such bad shape that they need Government help. Even Toyota and Microsoft are laying-off people. Apple eliminated its enterprise operation, but it is doing much better than the Wintel manufacturers. The iPhone is helping a lot.

I know that you are anxious to find out how the Presidential campaign turned out. Barack Obama held off Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic nomination. John McCain surprised nearly everyone by naming Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska as the first female Republican Vice-President candidate. Barack Obama took a more conventional route by picking former rival Senator Joseph Biden of Delaware.

Senator McCain gave it his best shot. However, the economy collapsed during the campaign and took the McCain-Palin campaign with it. Senator Obama was elected the first African-American President of the United States. He has been in office for nearly two months. He is having his problems, but he poll numbers are very high because so many people believe that he is the only thing between them and a second Depression.

When you reach 2009, you are going to find that it is very different than 2008. You may wish that you could stay there.

Interesting, I didn't know that AI was now a political blog...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

There, there...everything'll be aaaalllright.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

I think he was more making a joke that the article you linked to is 10 months old. Did you just install a ten-month old update?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

I think he was more making a joke that the article you linked to is 10 months old. Did you just install a ten-month old update?

You are exactly correct. The OP was all exited about a May 2008 report. I assumed that he was living in 2008 and that he might like to know what life is like for those of us living in 2009.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You are exactly correct. The OP was all exited about a May 2008 report. I assumed that he was living in 2008 and that he might like to know what life is like for those of us living in 2009.

Yeah. Although, to be fair, my Mom's computer can get pretty far behind on updates if she doesn't come into town often. Maybe his daughter lives far away and doesn't manage her own computer very well. Let me tell you, Screen Sharing over iChat is probably the greatest thing ever for people with tech-unsavvy relatives.