Apple now offering HD movie purchases, rentals through iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Once only available through the Apple TV, HD movies can now be purchased or rented directly through iTunes on Macs and PCs.

The company now says that customers of the US iTunes Store can buy new-release movies in 720p directly from iTunes for $19.99 and rent them for $4.99 within 30 days of their being made available for sale. Many older titles are also available for rent in the HD format for $3.99.

As with TV shows, each HD copy also comes with a standard-definition version of the movie that can be transferred to an iPhone or iPod, neither of which yet supports HD. The initial lineup of HD rentals includes pre-orders for the Bond movie Quantum of Solace as well as Twilight and is focusing on new releases.

An HD Movies page is currently highlighting those titles that are already available at the increased resolution. Using the feature requires iTunes 8.1 or higher and a Mac or Windows PC capable of smoothly playing HD movies.

The shift signals a reduced dependence on the Apple TV as a driver for Apple's HD efforts. When given its well-known Take 2 firmware upgrade in early 2008, the device was at the time the only location for any non-podcast HD content from Apple until TV shows were made available in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    kbeatkbeat Posts: 48member
    Finally! I've been wanting to buy HD movies since they were first available to rent. I didn't think, with their push on Blu-Ray, that the studios would ever allow it.

It's also nice to be able to get HD movies for my MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 2 of 84
    Now the big question if we already own the standard definition of a movie purchased from iTunes will we get a option to upgrade to the HD version at a reduced price?
  • Reply 3 of 84
    No 1080p?

Yawn.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    w00masterw00master Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badNameErr View Post

No 1080p?

Yawn.

Seriously, keep dreaming.

And... you're not gonna see (legal) downloadable 1080p on a wide-scale anytime soon.

w00master
  • Reply 5 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Seriously, keep dreaming.

And... you're not gonna see (legal) downloadable 1080p on a wide-scale anytime soon.

w00master

That was my point.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

Now the big question if we already own the standard definition of a movie purchased from iTunes will we get a option to upgrade to the HD version at a reduced price?

That is an interesting question:

In the digital world is this considered the same format- different quality?
  • Reply 7 of 84
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Meh, these prices make Bluray look like the better option. $10 more and you get a physical 1080p copy that you can rip (with enough time) and carry around with you, plus no need to stay in the Apple ecosystem to view.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    I could care less for buying movies in digital media. I still prefer discs. And my Bluray films look and sound saweet. BUT people would love subscription.

A subscription that could also include music would be cool. I still prefer Netflix when it comes to renting, but I know many people that would prefer an iTunes subscription.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    $20? I can get the BD in all its 1080p video/lossless audio glory for that!
  • Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Define soon. Next week? No. Next month? Probably not. Next year? Possibly. Two years? Almost surely.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

$20? I can get the BD in all its 1080p video/lossless audio glory for that!

True. The pricing here seems quite silly.

Moreover: (i) Can one play this on an HD TV (say, via @TV) without physically hooking up the computer? (ii) Will DVD-burning be allowed?
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When given its well-known Take 2 firmware upgrade in early 2008, the device was at the time the only location for any non-podcast HD content from Apple until TV shows were made available in September.

Am I the only one having trouble following this sentence?

Can someone explain.....
  • Reply 13 of 84
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'd say the rentals are worthwhile. If you've got a large computer display or you have a Mac mini hooked up to your HDTV, it may make more sense to rent the HD version there than to think about getting an Apple TV just for the sake of the higher resolution.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    When they attempt to sell digital downloads for a premium over physical and warehoused product.

I'm sorry but they will never attain the level of dominance with video that the music store shares at this ridiculous pricing.

There is no way i'm EVER paying $19.99 for a HD movie download. Let's go back to the drawing board and negotiate some realistic pricing.

Hmmm lets see.

720p video at 5Mbps

No extras and basic surround audio.

No subtitles

More difficult space shifting

$11.99-13.99 tops per movie.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    danimldaniml Posts: 7member
    For $20.00-$25.00 I can get a Blu-ray disc with high bit rate 1080P and uncompressed audio. I can play this disc in any of my 4 blu-ray players in the house. I can take it to my friends house and play it.

I can put it into my wife's laptop and play it. OR plug her laptop into a theater system using the HDMI port, she has a PC.

Come on Apple would you give us the Blu-ray option or I'm going to switch.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    In my experience, many folks who claim Blu-Ray loyalty usually have PS3's. I have a PS3, but honestly only use it for gaming. ALL of the movies I watch/buy are from iTunes because it is so darn convenient. (My Mac is hooked up to my 40" HD Sony LCD) The quality really is pretty good, and not enough for my to really care about staying loyal to Blu-Ray. Sony is bleeding money with each PS3 sold so I'm not optimistic about the future of Blu-Ray, but iTunes is here to stay.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't mind new releases being $20 because that's what many DVD are close to.

Though there certainly needs to be a tiered system so that movies that have been out a while can be had for a good price (10 dollar or roughly near that amount). We are after all BYOB (Bringing Your Own Bandwidth) so we have costs too sitting on top.

Give us solid variable pricing and consumer uptake won't be that bad. Convience is worth a premium in same cases and it's up to each person to decide if the premium is worth it.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

720p video at 5Mbps

No extras and basic surround audio.

No subtitles

More difficult space shifting

I'm really surprised that Apple isn't including subtitles and extras in their rental. I mean - Quicktime can do interactive menus etc, so really they could supply an entire DVD experience couldn't they?

720p/5Mbps makes sense for downloads for now but I hope to see that boosted in the AppleTV (ready for the future) and higher bandwidth stuff in a couple of years.

What do you mean that they only have basic surround audio? DD5.1 seems ample but maybe I haven't been following developments closely enough?
  • Reply 19 of 84
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Meh, these prices make Bluray look like the better option. $10 more and you get a physical 1080p copy that you can rip (with enough time) and carry around with you, plus no need to stay in the Apple ecosystem to view.

Yeah right... The world is just beating down the doors to get that.

After having HD for the past 5 years, I've come to the realization that 1080p vs 720p (and even HD vs DVD quality) is becoming less and less of a driving force for me.

Unless a movie was specifically filmed/recorded digitally in ultra high resolution, AND there is something particularly stunning that I have to see in ultimate definition, I've found that I really don't care that much.

The fact is that for any movie that's really absorbing my attention, I am absolutely unaware of the resolution after about 5 minutes, if then.

I say again... the switch from VCR/AnalogTV to DVD quality was revelatory for most normal consumers. They are not seeing the subsequent switch to HD as something that is worth re-stocking their electronics and content for, and definitely not the top of their budget priorities, particularly in these times.

HD aficionados (particularly 1080p snobs) are way out of touch with the general market on this, and Apple knows it. They're right where they need to be for what they're trying to accomplish... becoming the digital hub for the market sweet spot.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    dizzy13dizzy13 Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DANIML View Post

For $20.00-$25.00 I can get a Blu-ray disc with high bit rate 1080P and uncompressed audio. I can play this disc in any of my 4 blu-ray players in the house. I can take it to my friends house and play it.

I can put it into my wife's laptop and play it. OR plug her laptop into a theater system using the HDMI port, she has a PC.

Yeah, it's a good idea, but since I have a PS3 and a 1080p TV I'll spend the extra $5 and get the bluray disc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DANIML View Post

Come on Apple would you give us the Blu-ray option or I'm going to switch.

I think this is the future, but we aren't ready yet. Need cheaper storage and faster internet download speeds. Right now Dish Network has VOD 1080p content, but you know it's not bluray quality 1080p.