iPhone 3.0 listings show four all-new iPhone, iPod touch models

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Tucked within Apple's iPhone 3.0 beta firmware are hardware strings that mention not one but two unreleased iPhone models as well as similar changes in store for the iPod touch.

An exploration of device strings by the same source that correctly leaked MMS and tethering ahead of Apple's iPhone 3.0 preview event now finds that there are at least four and as many as six new devices in the pipeline that would share OS X iPhone as their foundation.

Again speaking to Boy Genius, the insider notes that the previously discovered iPhone 2,1 has been joined by iPhone 3,1 as well as iPod 2,2 and iPod 3,1. As Apple always uses the first number in these device identifiers to refer to major revisions, the naming schemes allude to a second major reworking of the iPhone in testing at Apple as well as a minor revision of the current iPod touch and a third-generation overhaul.

The original iPhone shows in these listings as iPhone 1,1, while the iPhone 3G appears as iPhone 1,2 -- a minor upgrade to an existing design. The first- and second-generation iPod touch show as 1,1 and 2,1 respectively.

What an additional iPhone revision would involve isn't clear. Despite persistent claims of a smaller and lower-cost iPhone, Apple has publicly embraced a one-size-fits-all approach and has shot down rumors when brought up by one analyst in its latest fiscal results conference call.

Potentially more intriguing are two new devices that don't fit into either the iPhone or iPod categories. One, referred to as iProd 0,1, is a complete mystery and suggests an early prototype rather than a finished device. An iFPGA device doesn't include any model revision numbers but appears to reference a field-programmable gate array, or a chip whose functions can be reprogrammed either by the user or the manufacturer after it's created.

It's unclear whether these are actual placeholders for future products, references to individual components for other devices, or else serve an entirely different purpose. However, the sudden ballooning of device string entries hints that iPhone 3.0 may be used as the foundation for a much larger platform expansion rather than a simple upgrade for Apple's existing handhelds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    If I'm not mistaken FPGA's are a lot more expensive than a regular fixed function chip and are really only used for prototyping. It's unlikely that the iFPGA is going to be a real product, especially one that end users can reprogram.

Maybe the iPod 2.2 and iPhone 2.1 are Nano designs based on current-gen technology, while the iPhone 3.1 and iPod 3.1 will be getting the hardware overhaul.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Could iProd be the purchase of the forthcoming firmware 3.0 for previous-gen iPhones? Kinda like an upgrade from Tiger to Leopard. Another way for APPl to make some $...
  • Reply 3 of 45
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Unless they are testing this firmware against multiple future generations of devices this could indicate Apple splitting the line into a regular and a "pro" product couldn't it?
    • iPhone 1,1 = iPhone

• iPhone 1,2 = iPhone 3G

• iPhone 2,1 = iPhone 3.0

• iPhone 3,1 = iPhone 3.0 Pro

• iPod 1,1 = iPod touch G1

• iPod 2,1 = iPod touch G2

• iPod 2,2 = iPod 3.0

• iPod 3,1 = iPod 3.0 Pro

• Reply 4 of 45
    iProd?

for once, apple is having a laugh at us, the string PRODDERS.

c'mon, everyone. let's laugh with apple laughing at us.

shares back up to 150 before we know it!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhymeswithluck View Post

iProd?

Hopefully Apple doesn't start sending cease and desist orders to all stores that claim to sell "Products" because it sounds too much like iProd. Just like they did for Podium versus iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    All I know is that I'll be watching the model numbers from whatever gets announced this summer with great interest. If they're working on iPhone 3,1 already at this early date I'd feel mighty leery about picking up an iPhone 2,1.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

All I know is that I'll be watching the model numbers from whatever gets announced this summer with great interest. If they're working on iPhone 3,1 already at this early date I'd feel mighty leery about picking up an iPhone 2,1.

+1, might be satisfied with the 3.0 software update whilst remaining on my cheap unlocked contract and hold out for a potential 3,1. Interesting stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dommy-D View Post

Could iProd be the purchase of the forthcoming firmware 3.0 for previous-gen iPhones?

I figure it's a code name something different that we haven't seen yet, ie: "the next 'i' Product".

iPod, iPhone.. the release name could easily be iBook or iPad, or whatever.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Weird version numbers huh?

I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump straight to 3 with the iPhone. They did it with some of their iLife applications to bring them in line. Good idea to pay attention to those numbers though.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    iNetbookthat'snotgoingtohappenprod?
  • Reply 11 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

iProd?

Probably short for "iProduct"... meaning, a test name.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    didn't they just order 10" screens? could they be for one of these "placeholders?"

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...y_product.html
  • Reply 13 of 45
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    I'm thinking that Apple, knowing how people read through code looking for scraps, has inserted some phony product codes just to see the speculation (that's going on right here, right now)
  • Reply 14 of 45
    vinitaboyvinitaboy Posts: 156member
    Oh, crap, dommy-D! Apple making money? Damn! How evil and capitalistic is THAT?

Hey, got an idea for ya', d-D: DON'T BUY IT! Don't upgrade from Tiger to Leopard! Don't upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard! Don't buy anything from anybody! THAT'll show 'em!
  • Reply 15 of 45
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Hopefully Apple doesn't start sending cease and desist orders to all stores that claim to sell "Products" because it sounds too much like iProd. Just like they did for Podium versus iPod.

• Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:

iProd?

I want it back at $200. Won't be satisfied until then..... my rule is, no more than 2 shares of AAPL per iPhone.... er.... iProd...
  • Reply 17 of 45
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably short for "iProduct"... meaning, a test name.

That was my first thought too. They were just testing the ability to quickly add new products

to the OS (although that, in itself, is encouraging)

I wonder if the iFPGA device is there as a test of allowing device makers to have access to

the dock connector??????
  • Reply 18 of 45
    czfyjfczfyjf Posts: 2member
    Lots of Google results for iProd along these lines:

iProd
  • Reply 19 of 45
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by czfyjf View Post

Lots of Google results for iProd along these lines:

iProd

Aha! You may be onto something
  • Reply 20 of 45
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

If I'm not mistaken FPGA's are a lot more expensive than a regular fixed function chip and are really only used for prototyping. It's unlikely that the iFPGA is going to be a real product, especially one that end users can reprogram.

Insert Papermaster HW here. Though it would be cool if it were an FPGA-based production unit. Shape-shifting hardware, how green is that?

McD