Psystar presses forward with another Mac clone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Wow. An article -not- by Daniel Eran Dilbert. And it's got hyperlinks to external sources! How refreshing! I think I'll read this one!

Seriously: Apple is not going to be able to stop this. Maybe Psystar but not the others. They're not really big enough for another DoJ investigation but they're just as monopolistic as Microsoft once were (are).
  • Reply 62 of 64
    I never visit Roughly Twisted. That can be contagious. How surprising to find all the articles there are signed Prince McLean. Have any social workers paid a visit to Daniel Eran Dilbert recently? Are the people running AI completely asleep?
  • Reply 63 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Since no one has ever admitted to buying a Psystar computer, nor have they admitted to wanting one, then your comments don't seem to have much merit. Where are the sales figures? Is there any evidence to show that Psystar has even sold an OS X clone? If Apple felt there was a demand for a minitower, they would have continued to make them. However, there isn't one despite the few people here that claim to want one. iMacs are selling like crazy, even if YOU don't like a glossy screen. The rest of the millions that have bought them, are quite happy with them.

This isn't an argument. It's just sour grapes.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Since no one has ever admitted to buying a Psystar computer, nor have they admitted to wanting one, then your comments don't seem to have much merit. Where are the sales figures? Is there any evidence to show that Psystar has even sold an OS X clone? If Apple felt there was a demand for a minitower, they would have continued to make them. However, there isn't one despite the few people here that claim to want one. iMacs are selling like crazy, even if YOU don't like a glossy screen. The rest of the millions that have bought them, are quite happy with them.

When you're next in the office, please offer my regards to Steve and Jonathan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Count me as someone who bought a glossy iMac, and is NOT happy with it. I'd almost go so far as to say I hate it. The only reason I bought it is because Apple didn't have any other reasonable choices. You simply cannot count iMac purchases as proof that Mac users don't want an alternative configuration if Apple doesn't offer that alternative to compare the sales to.

Pssst. (whisper voice) Don't talk too loud. The Stones in the surrounding Hills here may begin to fall.

By the way, for those of you wanting an alternative to Psystar, ExpressHD may offer what fits the bill. I still love Apple. But until they offer a mid-range tower, I am happy to share the knowledge of where they may be obtained outside Cupertino.

UPDATE: It's clear to me after reading every single post in this thread that some of you are not reading all there is to read about EFI-X and non-Apple Macs, and the reasons they exist. As I mentioned in my previous post here, the subject has been discussed exhaustively on Macintouch, and Ric Ford himself recognizes that Apple is missing the boat when it comes to a mid-range Mac without the gloss.

I strongly encourage all of you to read through every post in this Macintouch Reader Report, which is just outstanding:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic4836.html

Indeed, had it not been for Macintouch, I would not have known about EFI-X! And to get Ric Ford's thinking on the matter, just pull up that page and do a search for "Ric Ford" -- it will jump you to his comments. Ric has been hosting Macintouch for YEARS, and I have enjoying reading his news pages during all that time. He is a highly respected member of the Mac community, a lover of Apple, and someone who very much wishes to see Apple continue to thrive. He is also a realist though, which is why this reader report is so excellent. Please give it a thorough read-though!

And before some of you attack me for being disloyal to Apple, I still don't own any non-Apple equipment myself. Indeed, I still use an upgraded 1.7GHz G4 Cube at home, and a 1.3GHz upgraded Cube at the office -- both with wonderful matte LCD's, of course. I've been wanting to upgrade to something more powerful than a Mini, but I refuse to buy gloss or go with film to mask the gloss. And for the office, the total cost of the computer (one purchase, from the same vendor) must be less than $2,000 or we get hit with special taxes. This means a Mac Pro is out for me. An iMac would be wonderful, but again, I refuse to go with the gloss.

Those of you who feel that Apple will never listen because "it hasn't for the last two years" are not giving due credit to the existence of capitalism. Yes, there is demand for a mid-range tower that costs between $1,200 and $1,500. If there was no demand, EFI-X, Psystar and other sellers of non-Apple hardware to run OS X would not exist. These companies are not in business simply to badger Apple or because their owners hate Steve Jobs. The are simply wanting to capitalize on a market need. Apple (and some stones in our hills) deny this need exists. But as Apple begins to wage war against companies who simply are filling the present need, Apple itself is certainly starting to recognize (internally) it too needs to be in the game. I strongly feel this outside pressure will ultimately work to broaden Apple's line, for the benefit of us all. And I certainly will have my money ready when Apple does the right thing, with a system that doesn't force gloss down my throat. But without the pressure, Apple would continue down it's current path (note that Apple removed "Computer" from its name for a reason, folks). Pressure is good. Don't resist the pressure. Encourage it!