iPhone 3.0 listings show four all-new iPhone, iPod touch models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by czfyjf View Post

Lots of Google results for iProd along these lines:

iProd

good call. the added accessory API could make this happen.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    The rumored iTable or even an enterprise iPhone running industry specific apps in enterprise settings could explain the FGPA, no?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    iProd sounds like a sexual device used in Alien 3 or by the OctoMom.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dapple View Post

The rumored iTable or even an enterprise iPhone running industry specific apps in enterprise settings could explain the FGPA, no?

iHungry- I need some iFood.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

iProd sounds like a sexual device used in Alien 3 or by the OctoMom.

Symbian is a mobile OS and an automated sex machine.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Symbian is a mobile OS and an automated sex machine.

• Reply 27 of 45
    Models not listed:

iPod 3,2

iPod 4,1

iPhone 3,1

iPhone 3,2

You saw it here first.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    The OS was refered as iPhone OS instead of OS X, as previously used by Jobs, but Forstall said in the preview that iPhone is not the only device that runs iPhone OS. Of course, when he said that, he meant there's iPod touch too. But actually he really was hinting something else.

I think in the future Apple will have two OSes they can market, the Mac OS X and the iPhone OS, which will represent the best mobile computing platform(for developers to make money) and experience(for consumers), so there would be no risk to cannibalize Apple's high profit mac sales. And the success of App Store, made this all possible.

By the way, could anybody explain field-programmable gate array? What does this mean to the coming device?
  • Reply 29 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Insert Papermaster HW here. Though it would be cool if it were an FPGA-based production unit. Shape-shifting hardware, how green is that?

McD

Shape shifting technology?

You asked for it!

Quote:

The PCs of the future could be more flexible in every way -- even physically. For starters, they'll have adjustable screens that users can stretch, roll or unfold to open.

"So you can contort that device and make it bigger, maybe widen it to 6 inches tall and 10 inches wide so you can watch TV or access information through wireless broadband or peer-to-peer technology," says Sam Driver, an analyst at research firm ThinkBalm in Little Compton, R.I. "Then say you take that device to your office, you can stretch it and start working, and you can have it communicate in the office with printers and other devices."

But that's just the beginning. Researchers are working on programmable products that contain embedded microprocessors and storage in the material itself. The material would be programmed to change shape based on the user's needs, Chien explains.

For example, you could morph your smartphone into a Bluetooth headset and then into a remote control by just touching a button on the device. Think of it as the ultimate Transformer toy.

Link:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16132...cade_away.html

This is a very interesting read!
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mason2046 View Post

The OS was refered as iPhone OS instead of OS X, as previously used by Jobs, but Forstall said in the preview that iPhone is not the only device that runs iPhone OS. Of course, when he said that, he meant there's iPod touch too. But actually he really was hinting something else.

I think in the future Apple will have two OSes they can market, the Mac OS X and the iPhone OS, which will represent the best mobile computing platform(for developers to make money) and experience(for consumers), so there would be no risk to cannibalize Apple's high profit mac sales. And the success of App Store, made this all possible.

By the way, could anybody explain field-programmable gate array? What does this mean to the coming device?

The aTv uses it too.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    ajmajm Posts: 1member
    iFPGA is probably to allow access for plug-in accessories or their prototypes.

iProd is probably a placeholder name for some up-and-coming Apple product that may not ever pass Jobs' muster. Possibly a tablet, a la 10" iPod touch (Newton MessagePad reprise)

iPhone 2,1 is inevitable, but one can only imagine what changes would constitute a major revision if 3G was considered minor. That makes 3,1 even more confusing. Pro? Nano? Hard-drive based? High-def, titanium unibody with Atom dual core? Who knows.

Symbian is an OS, but the sex device is named Sybian.

AppleTV doesn't run iPhone OS, it runs Tiger.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajm View Post

Symbian is an OS, but the sex device is named Sybian.

You're correct. I've only heard in mentioned (and used) on The Howard Stern Show, but never looked it up before.

Quote:

AppleTV doesn't run iPhone OS, it runs Tiger.

I'm sure Melgross was referring to the OS being OS X, not that the AppleTV runs the iPhone OS.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Shape shifting technology?

You asked for it!

Link:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16132...cade_away.html

This is a very interesting read!

That's awesome! but that's too far away, I think what Apple should really do in reality about the iPhone 3,1 is bring some of their own super cool patents to life. One of my favourite is the camera-within-display thing. I always get annoyed by the fact that you can't look at someone in the eye in a video chat.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mason2046 View Post

That's awesome! but that's too far away, I think what Apple should really do in reality about the iPhone 3,1 is bring some of their own super cool patents to life. One of my favourite is the camera-within-display thing. I always get annoyed by the fact that you can't look at someone in the eye in a video chat.

First things first. I want Apple's patent for a small backlight over a small area of the display to come to fruition. This way you can see messages, the time, etc without turning on the full screen display.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Tucked within Apple's iPhone 3.0 beta firmware are hardware strings that mention not one but two unreleased iPhone models as well as similar changes in store for the iPod touch.

What two products? You mean like the iPhone 16GB and 32GB? Same for iPod Touch??
  • Reply 36 of 45
    dmondmon Posts: 8member
    Apple tends to take the long view when designing products and more specifically software and structural systems (iPhone OS, iTunes Store, etc.) I was wondering if there are reasons for developing the Push Notification System the way they have that will become apparent when they start rolling out new categories of mobile devices (Tablets, Netbooks, 3G enabled laptops, etc.)

Is this the basis of a new type of functionality that has broader implications than what we're seeing on with the iPhone OS 3.0? It seems that they are taking on a lot of responsibility / liability with this type of network and I'm not sure they would have done it if there weren't bigger rewards down the road. Are there ways that this back-end system could give them a big leg up on the competition? Any ideas?
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmon View Post

Apple tends to take the long view when designing products and more specifically software and structural systems (iPhone OS, iTunes Store, etc.) I was wondering if there are reasons for developing the Push Notification System the way they have that will become apparent when they start rolling out new categories of mobile devices (Tablets, Netbooks, 3G enabled laptops, etc.)

Is this the basis of a new type of functionality that has broader implications than what we're seeing on with the iPhone OS 3.0? It seems that they are taking on a lot of responsibility / liability with this type of network and I'm not sure they would have done it if there weren't bigger rewards down the road. Are there ways that this back-end system could give them a big leg up on the competition? Any ideas?

It's basically what you said. But they didn't expect the interest to be as high as it turned out to be, so they had to do a total revision of the way their servers handled the throughput.

There's no doubt that push will be very important to business, as well as to consumers. Companies can use it for almost anything. Stock prices, sports scores, weather forecasts, customer contacts. New recordings or books from people you might be interested about.

People might use it with social networking, to keep their friends updated on where they are, etc.

That's just a very few of the things I'm already thinking about.

Ideas will come from directions no one has thought about.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    dmondmon Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's basically what you said. But they didn't expect the interest to be as high as it turned out to be, so they had to do a total revision of the way their servers handled the throughput.

There's no doubt that push will be very important to business, as well as to consumers. Companies can use it for almost anything. Stock prices, sports scores, weather forecasts, customer contacts. New recordings or books from people you might be interested about.

People might use it with social networking, to keep their friends updated on where they are, etc.

Ideas will come from directions no one has thought about.

So, is this a more flexible system than what RIM has? I hear the argument that RIM's push email is more sophisticated than Apple's but maybe it is much more limited and that the limitations will begin to become apparent over time as there are more and more ways in which Apple's Push is used that RIM's can't? I'm not knowledgeable about RIM's system - does anyone know if this is a fair analysis?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Hopefully Apple doesn't start sending cease and desist orders to all stores that claim to sell "Products" because it sounds too much like iProd. Just like they did for Podium versus iPod.

It's nto simply because it sounds similar. If the Podium was a watermelon slicer or bug zapper, Apple (likely) wouldn't have done anything.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Tuesday's demo showed iPhone 3.0 docking with other devices as an input/display. Perhaps the iProd string is a reference to that sort of device platform?