Developer shows working iPhone 3.0 tethering over USB

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Tethering would allow you to access the internet from your laptop in area's where there are no open wireless hotspots. Is this correct?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Tethering would allow you to access the internet from your laptop in area's where there are no open wireless hotspots. Is this correct?

Yes, from anywhere you can get a cellular data connection (e.g., 3G).
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Rogers in Canada does allow tethering on at least some of their data plans. I and many others have successfully tethered our laptops to our Rogers phones with no impact to our bills (assuming we stay under our data plan's allotment).

But there's something about these 3.0 tethering reports I just don't understand. Tethering solutions for jailbroken iPhones are well documented. Besides us Rogers folks, I've read many a forum post across the web of people clandestinely using tethering on their AT&T data plans, albeit on a limited basis (and seemingly flying underneath AT&T's radar).

So, what is this talk from Apple about carriers somehow needing to enable tethering? Seems eminently enabled to me, at least technically. Why haven't you reporter types called Apple on this?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    I am posting this tethered to my iPhone 3G with 3.0. I am not going to risk abusing it but thought it was pretty neat. I have to use usb rather than bluetooth because for some reason BT tethering doesn't work with MBA second gen?!
  • Reply 25 of 26
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatrickRS View Post

So, what is this talk from Apple about carriers somehow needing to enable tethering? Seems eminently enabled to me, at least technically. Why haven't you reporter types called Apple on this?

I think the point is that it's often against the terms of service, albeit with no real way they can detect it.

I once was in a situation where we had no internet access for 2 months (temporary house, didn't want to pay a huge connection charge to get a phone line put in). I bought a data plan from 3, my mobile network. I could have paid double the amount for the same bandwidth allowance but with an official approved tethering solution: I went for the cheaper one and just didn't tell them what I was doing. My Nokia phone (which was purchased from the network, not unlocked or anything) managed the tethering with no problem, and Apple's net connection sharing then let my housemates use it over wifi.

Amorya
  • Reply 26 of 26
    I got bluetooth tethering working with iPhone OS 3.0 Beta, but a complete nadda on the USB. The iPhone appears not to have any further config beyond an on-switch for tethering.

I thought that iTunes 8.1 or the latest builds of 10.5.7 and 10.6 would contain which ever driver is necessary but nothing happens. Network should be able to detect there is a shiny new USB port to use for networking but I get no action whatsoever.

Anyone got this working and knows whatever trick has to be pulled?

Bluetooth tethering was FAST. Faster than my old Windows Mobile piece of sh!t.

UPDATE: I knew I was missing something. The iPhone SDK for 3.0 contains a new USB-Ethernet host kernel extension which allows Mac OS X to use the iPhone over the USB cable. I'm surprised this isn't in the OS already. Maybe it's still in beta itself.