And people still claim that Apple is too expensive!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://i.gizmodo.com/5171407/dell-ad...-2000-pricetag

1.2GHz Core 2 for 2,000 dollars? No headphones? Good job Dell, good job.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Unibody aluminum enclosure with a glass display, hmmm....where have I seen that design before????
  • Reply 2 of 10
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Well, the Dell does support twice as much RAM as the MBA, has more ports, and comes with a 128 SSD standard, which is an extra $500 option from Apple, but go ahead, twist the facts a bit.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    You can upgrade the MacBook Air with the SSD and it will still be higher spec'd than the Adamo which has a 1.4GHz Core 2.

Apple only lets people upgrade on their site to 2GB of RAM, it doesn't mean one can't simply add two 2GB sticks into the Air, just like the base Mac Pro and Apple 8GB of RAM selling limit.

Has more ports? It doesn't even have a Headphone jack, but go ahead, twist the facts a bit.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

You can upgrade the MacBook Air with the SSD and it will still be higher spec'd than the Adamo which has a 1.4GHz Core 2.

Apple only lets people upgrade on their site to 2GB of RAM, it doesn't mean one can't simply add two 2GB sticks into the Air, just like the base Mac Pro and Apple 8GB of RAM selling limit.

Has more ports? It doesn't even have a Headphone jack, but go ahead, twist the facts a bit.

The MBA's RAM is soldered onto the motherboard, good luck upgrading that to 4, chief...as far as the Dell's CPU, it's a ULV C2D, yeah, not as fast as the MBA's, but it supposedly save some battery time, but I doubt it, it depends on how big the battery is.

Personally, I do think the MBA looks better and is *gasp* a better value, but to ignore that the Adimo comes with a $500 option on the MBA as standard, is twisting the facts. Add that 128 SSD to the MBA, and you're at min. $2300.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Too bad it's a dell, and therefore sucks in comparison to anything made by apple.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Not to make an assertion either way about whether Apple's prices are "too expensive"...

Another company offering a product at a higher or lower price really doesn't say anything about whether Apple's products are "too expensive". What if those other products are "too cheap" or "too expensive"?

The cost/bennefit analysis used to determine whether a product is worth buying should be an absolute metric, not a relative metric. The relative metric can show you whether another product is a better buy, not whether a product is worth buying at all.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I can't honestly say I think it's better than the MBA. Especially considering the operating system, but also, the design, weight, "perceived thinness" (which is far more important than "thinness at its very thickest point as the only point of reference".

But people should get their facts straight about the headphone port. It's right there on the right side of the unit.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    They are. At least in the UK. They're out of touch with reality. Well, in the context of a COMPETITIVE PC market amidst a recession.

Just because Dell are expensive (yeah, been to their site...yeesh...taking a leaf out of Apple's book, eh?) doesn't make Apple competitive. They jacked the prices.

Offering integrated crappics in the two entry models. Weak Nvidia graphics in the next two up...piffling dual core...when the rest of the market is on quad core.

You could get an 8 core under 2k. Now you can't. Heck you have to pay 2k just to get an entry level quad core. And you still can't get decent graphics in a 2k machine. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffft.

It's like Apple from the bad old days. Except this time...they're even worse. At least there are cheaper Intel options...but Apple like using expensive processor parts and goosing their customers.

Design cul-de-sacs I sez.

Nothing like a good moan eh? Must be the British weather or the recession or something...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    A little fail on Dell's part. It's freakin' expensive, this Adamo. I don't care if it has SSD, the *entry* price for the Adamo is very high. I was shocked when I saw the price tag. Shocked. This was supposed to be the MacBook Air-killer or something. According to the wild rumours. Obviously, the reality is going to be quite different.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Heh. Dell caught the Apple bug with this Adamo thing.

Lemon... BTW I'm eyeing the ATI RV770... It's doing well performance/price wise as Nvidia stalls badly at G92.

Bring on a 40nm RV770 or RV870... Then we'll have serious Full HD gaming with some pretty visuals and engaging graphics... On a self-assembled PC. Awww yeah. F*K Apple for gaming. I'm not sure about the AMD Phenoms though... Intel has also aggressively dropped their Core 2 prices. Hmm... But in gaming the CPU is rarely the bottleneck.

</ranting and raving>

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

They are. At least in the UK. They're out of touch with reality. Well, in the context of a COMPETITIVE PC market amidst a recession.

Just because Dell are expensive (yeah, been to their site...yeesh...taking a leaf out of Apple's book, eh?) doesn't make Apple competitive. They jacked the prices.

Offering integrated crappics in the two entry models. Weak Nvidia graphics in the next two up...piffling dual core...when the rest of the market is on quad core.

You could get an 8 core under 2k. Now you can't. Heck you have to pay 2k just to get an entry level quad core. And you still can't get decent graphics in a 2k machine. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffft.

It's like Apple from the bad old days. Except this time...they're even worse. At least there are cheaper Intel options...but Apple like using expensive processor parts and goosing their customers.

Design cul-de-sacs I sez.

Nothing like a good moan eh? Must be the British weather or the recession or something...

Lemon Bon Bon.