New version of iPod touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello!

Is there going to be a new version (generation) of iPod touch this year?

1st generation of iPod touch was on September 7th 2007.

2nd generation of iPod touch was on September 9th 2008.

3rd generation of iPod touch possibly by September 11th 2009 - Or anytime this year?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It's most likely that if the iphone sees a revision this year the touch will as well.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    dartchdartch Posts: 6member
    Thanks ecking, very interesting.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    To me, the thing that is most disappointing with the Ipod Touch is that there's no support for internet radio (mainly Shoutcast streams). This may not be as much of an issue with music or podcasts, but when it comes to wanting to listen to talk stations online or any live content, this is an issue.

The Sansa Connect from Sandisk had the same potential regarding internet radio, and they limited it only to Yahoo's service to listen to their internet radio music streams.

When it comes to internet radio, the company that has made an excellent device is Rokulabs. They have the SoundBrige M1000, a wifi-based device that can be plugged into a stereo and allows you to listen to any shoutcast and WMA streams online that you choose. Now if only a company would release a portable MP3 player with wifi support that would allow you the flexibility to listen to any internet radio streams, I would certainly purchase such a product.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    maedocmaedoc Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vnvnvn2000 View Post

To me, the thing that is most disappointing with the Ipod Touch is that there's no support for internet radio (mainly Shoutcast streams). ...

...Now if only a company would release a portable MP3 player with wifi support that would allow you the flexibility to listen to any internet radio streams, I would certainly purchase such a product.

I don't know about the capability to play ALL internet radio streams but the App Store has several radio streaming apps for the iPod Touch & iPhone including: SHOUTcast Radio, iHeart Radio (Clear Channel stations), Wunder Radio, StreamItAll Radio, Radio, Public Radio Tuner and many more. They all have a different set of streams available or cater to specific interest groups. I find Wunder Radio the most complete app of what I've tried.

I'd say the likelyhood of a new iPod Touch this year: 90% ; Likelyhood of Apple's new proprietary ARM chip inside of it: 75%
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Máedóc

I'd say the likelyhood of a new iPod Touch this year: 90% ; Likelyhood of Apple's new proprietary ARM chip inside of it: 75%

Hey, A new iPod touch this year would be cool, thanks.

What is "Apple's new proprietary ARM chip inside of it: 75%"
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Hi

Hopefully a large screen iPod touch device to be released in the Fall of ?2009, with a 7 or 9 inch screen.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    bump
  • Reply 9 of 12
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    iPhone in June, iPod Nano's with cameras to follow....What about the iPodTouch? Summer possibility?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    amberainamberain Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

iPhone in June, iPod Nano's with cameras to follow....What about the iPodTouch? Summer possibility?

larger screen size? beyong my imagination
  • Reply 12 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd only consider upgrading at this point if the new models had GPS (without a cell network connection).