Apple's 2009 iPhone to support faster 3G networks - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The current phone is 3.6. The new phone will be 7.2. It's in the article.

The current iPhone might be 3.6 Mbit in the US (probably because AT&T limits its network to 3.6 Mbit, not because the iPhones sold in the US are limited to 3.6 Mbit) but in the UK it most definitely is 7.2 Mbit, as people have measured speeds in excess of 6 Mbit there.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The current iPhone might be 3.6 Mbit in the US (probably because AT&T limits its network to 3.6 Mbit, not because the iPhones sold in the US are limited to 3.6 Mbit) but in the UK it most definitely is 7.2 Mbit, as people have measured speeds in excess of 6 Mbit there.

I'm just going by what it says.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

There's a difference between users sharing a wider bandwidth for better connectivity, and each individual getting the full 7.2Mbps. The service will be better, but not necessarily 7.2.

Actually not quite so. A standard WCDMA phone uses 1 scrambling code and a simpler air modulation giving 384kbps.

With HSDPA, they improved on the modulation and gave the possibility to use more than one code at once, thus improving bandwidth (other improvements as well but irrelevant for this disc.). The first implementations used 5 codes for 3.6Mbps (theoretical).

The 7.2 Mbps comes from using 10 scrambling codes to multiplex data in the cell. The problem is that in good conditions, the cell contains about 14-15 usable codes for HSDPA. Thus if you have more than one "7.2 Mbps" user in the cell, they'll have to share the available codes thereby lowering the actual bandwidth received.

Add to this changes in radio conditions (forcing lower BW modulation changes to improve SNR) and you'll see that 7.2 Mbps (5 Mbps practical?) or even higher speeds do require a cell with relatively low code usage and good reception.

HSPA+ will improve on modulation so that will bring more capacity again, but using more complex modulation requires better radio reception as well. So they wont work in high interference or edge-of-cell locations and the phone+network will fall back to simpler modulations and lower bandwidths in these cases.

I doubt that HSPA+ will be in the next iPhone as I don't believe any vendor has released such phones yet. More likely 10-code HSDPA with possible uplink improvements via HSUPA. That would make the phone an HSPA (HSDPA + HSUPA) phone.

Edit: Someone responded that the iPhone is already doing over 3.6 Mbps in Europe so it's at least an 10-code phone already. Then that leaves HSUPA or HSPA+ (which is still think is impropable).

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The current phone is 3.6. The new phone will be 7.2. It's in the article.

Right, my point is why speculate if it will come or not= It is a must. Question remaining is if 7Mbit, and maybe above, will be a premium feature?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stockholm View Post

Right, my point is why speculate if it will come or not= It is a must. Question remaining is if 7Mbit, and maybe above, will be a premium feature?

Without knowing the cost of the radios, I can't say. Every time you move up in complexity, it becomes more expensive, and difficult to implement.

The current phones seem to have enough receive capacity for a while.

Unfortunately, all over-air bandwidths are subject to factors that make them much slower in actual fact than their theoretical capacity. That's why I have a wired GHz Ethernet network at home. When I do tests on an "n" network, the actual speeds are much lower than what they are supposed to be, while the wired network is close to max.

People are talking about eventual 50 Mbs, and even 100 Mbs. But the reality is that one will never come close to that, even right under the tower.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    Telstra in Australia has already upgraded to 21mbps.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stockholm View Post

I wasn't speculating. It will come. I think it would be more expensive to offer 7.2 as an upgraded model. It would also bust the market for the phones. Since the major defining characteristic of the phone is its internet capabilities, I would think that Apple would want to make them all the same there. Other features, perhaps.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    So... it'll be as fast as my iPhone 1.0 when I first bought it?