managing multiple macs in different locations

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Could anyone suggest an application that would allow me to control my niece/nephew macs over the web in order to maintain them. I know at home I can simply use remote management and it works great.

In the past I used ARD but I am looking if there is another way to do it so I don't have to spend the money on it. Any other way of hitting up their macs over the web?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dage007 View Post

Could anyone suggest an application that would allow me to control my niece/nephew macs over the web in order to maintain them. I know at home I can simply use remote management and it works great.

In the past I used ARD but I am looking if there is another way to do it so I don't have to spend the money on it. Any other way of hitting up their macs over the web?

If every one is running Leopard, you can use the built-in screen sharing protocol which iChat uses. IIRC, Macworld posted an article on where to find the app (it's in the system folder with Finder.app, Dock.app, etc.) as well as a few tips on unlocking a few hidden preferences.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    I use a program called ShareTool from yazsoft.com

The easy setup feature requires universal plug n play enabled on the router.

BUT there is also a manual setup too!

logmein.com works ok, but can be a pest to setup too. needs an app to run from the menubar.

It's easier too if you setup a dyndns acct too & assign an ID to each mac. But the app can send you updated config info via email, so that's handy too.

Back to my Mac also requires upnp & the modem be put in "bridge" mode with your router doing the login info.