Source: Apple's next-gen iPhone has video camera

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the 3rd-party HW makers are going to be busy this year with new additions from D-pads to PoS attachments and everything in between.

I've been reading your posts about PoS attachments, and kept wondering why you'd pre-judge attachments as being 'pieces of s...'.

Oh, ok... I get it.

Start with the PoS devices (in both senses of the term) used at Apple Stores.
  • Reply 102 of 128
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Does anyone know how much data flow the dock connector can handle?

As that would be one of the limiting factors of what you can do with it.

Like attaching a 5, 8 or 12 megapixel camera module might sound like a good idea but not if it takes 30 seconds to process a photo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

C'mon people. Did you all miss Tuesday's event, or were you just caught up in the holy grail of cut/paste?

Apple just blew the doors open by announcing API access to the docking port, and all anyone can talk about is more megapixels behind what can only be a crappy lens with battery draining flash.

What will come is a brainless camera body that can be snapped on to a iPhone/touch.

Phone cameras are trinkets for taking our equiv of Brownie snapshots or Polaroids.

If you want serious pictures you'll never get them from your phone.

Headless body with its own battery, interchangeable lenses, zoom, flash, controlled from a snapped on iPhone/touch.

Its really not that hard thinking outside the box on this.

• Reply 103 of 128
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

How could they implement voice dialing. They would need another physical button or add an additional role to a curent physical buttons. Making it a SW button defeats the purpose.

The sleep and home buttons aren't well positioned for this feature, IMO. The volume buttons are but holding down the volume buttons for an extended period is already in use. I've tried to hold both buttons at once in the middle and this wouldn't work unless the button was altered.

There is also the lock toggle switch. I think it would be just about ideal if it were made into a button that not only toggles lock/unlock but could be depressed. The position is great for a right-handed person as it's near the index finger when holding the device in portrait mode. If it's in your pocket that button would be near the top and easy to feel for.

I think a much better solution is video dialing. Screw voice dialing! You click the camera app and make a certain face that is interrupted to mean you wish to call a certain person. The way that iPhoto '09 works.

my moto v551 had it, it worked in the background, come on that was 5 years ago, apple can and should do it.

you don't need any more buttons, how many phones have voice dialing, like most

VOICE DIALING PLEASE
  • Reply 104 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Does anyone know how much data flow the dock connector can handle?

I'd say at least the bandwidth that USB2.0 can handle, but being a phone with a single core ARM CPU clocked at just over 400MHz and 128MB RAM, that would surely be more of a bottleneck than the connector's potential throughput.

PS: I really hope they add at least 50% more RAM to the next iPhone. Is 192MB too much to ask for?
  • Reply 105 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

my moto v551 had it, it worked in the background, come on that was 5 years ago, apple can and should do it.

you don't need any more buttons, how many phones have voice dialing, like most

VOICE DIALING PLEASE

So it was always on waiting for you to say a name? If you aren't initiating it to listen for a particular name are you having to give it some unusual voice command to listen to that you wouldn't likely ever say, like antiquing*?

* Futurama reference.
  • Reply 106 of 128
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Round Three

Oh Boy!, 2, 3, 4 months of useless speculation.
  • Reply 107 of 128
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Amazing week full of good news. Next time I will take two weeks vacation instead of one

Video recording would be nice. However, HD video recording would be BIG. Every phone in the market can record video but I can not find one that records in HD. Maybe some third party can come up with an HD camera that can be attached to the iPhone using the connector now that Apple allowed software to control accessories.
  • Reply 108 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Amazing week full of good news. Next time I will take two weeks vacation instead of one

Video recording would be nice. However, HD video recording would be BIG. Every phone in the market can record video but I can not find one that records in HD. Maybe some third party can come up with an HD camera that can be attached to the iPhone using the connector now that Apple allowed software to control accessories.

I doubt that HD video would come with the first inclusion of video recording on the iPhone. It can't even play back HD video at point. Even if the HW is powerful enough next time around it wouldn't be very Apple-like to add HD video out of the gate and have nothing to improve next time around. I think they'd go for good 30fps H.264 recording not greater than 640x480 and no less than 320x240.

Congrats on the good week. Been taking Felix Felicis?
  • Reply 109 of 128
    Quote:

I doubt that HD video would come with the first inclusion of video recording on the iPhone. It can't even play back HD video at point. Even if the HW is powerful enough next time around it wouldn't be very Apple-like to add HD video out of the gate and have nothing to improve next time around. I think they'd go for good 30fps H.264 recording not greater than 640x480 and no less than 320x240.

Congrats on the good week. Been taking Felix Felicis?

LOL

I think you are right about video. I got tired of the cold weather so I took my family for a week vacation south. Decided to isolate myself from the web for the week and left my MBP at home (the iPhone was with me though). I've just started reading the news. Arabic support... finally.. thank god

However, I really want to know who did the Arabic localization for the iPhone!!! They messed up some terminology big time!!

I noticed something today. When I connected my camera memory card to my HP AIO printed (Connected to my Time Capsule using USB) the memory card showed up in my MBP TC as a new drive. They must have added this in the latest TC update because I tried it a while back and was not possible. I scan directly to a memory card to avoid installing HP software on my computer.
  • Reply 110 of 128
    Quote:

I got tired of the cold weather so I took my family for a week vacation south. Decided to isolate myself from the web for the week and left my MBP at home (the iPhone was with me though)

Where abouts? I'll be in Miami Florida next week for a music convention.
  • Reply 111 of 128
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Samsung i8910 Omnia HD coming next month, I don't know if there'll be a NAM model.

Quote:

• Reply 112 of 128
    Quote:

Where abouts? I'll be in Miami Florida next week for a music convention.

Lucky you

We went to San Antonio, TX. We are planning to go to Orlando FL some time when my son is old (actually tall) enough to be allowed in more Disney rides.
  • Reply 113 of 128
    Quote:

Belkin and some other makers produce recording snap-ons for iPods such as this:

With the dock on the iPhone now open, I can foresee lots of devices: cameras, sensors, you name it. I can imagine someone making a tri-corder attachment which would utilize the iPhone as an interface and data-logger with a variety of sensors. The possibilities are limitless. The one I would like to see would be a portable weather station that would relay its data to the iphone, which would then predict the weather as well as produce graphs of conditions.

So, yes, a camera plug-in would be possible.

Feasibility for these ideas is another story.
  • Reply 114 of 128
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Belkin and some other makers produce recording snap-ons for iPods such as this:

With the dock on the iPhone now open, I can foresee lots of devices: cameras, sensors, you name it. I can imagine someone making a tri-corder attachment which would utilize the iPhone as an interface and data-logger with a variety of sensors. The possibilities are limitless. The one I would like to see would be a portable weather station that would relay its data to the iphone, which would then predict the weather as well as produce graphs of conditions.

So, yes, a camera plug-in would be possible.

Feasibility for these ideas is another story.

I never saw that Belkin mixer. Belkin's been doing sound input for a long time now. But none of their devices work for iPhones and touches. Haven't been able to figure out why that is. Was the dock connector originally open to 3rd parties, but (until) now closed for the iPhone/touch?

I have to believe they'll be jumping all over this.

Another thing I'd like to see would be a higher quality microphone snap-on to improve the iPhone and allow voice input for the touch.

And of course, VOMs have to be right around the corner for electrical work.
  • Reply 115 of 128
    I had to register to just say this. I own an iphone3g I however am using my sidekick lx to write this I hate iphones keyboard. This keyboard rocks and sorry if I mess up any spelling or grammar forgive me grammar Nazi I really can't spell check this. I'm worked up big time I m kinda trolling here I admit it and I do believe I m brining up valid points trying to provoke debate here.

Flame on!!!

I'm all for video chatting. I use it everyday.

Why? I'm DEAF!

Its the best thing to happen in my life. Its far far faster to sign than type and vice versa with speaking voice and typing. I use webcams and they suck. Its far better to have something like the Sorenson VP200 http://www.sorenson.com it connects over the Internet in front of the firewall so packets flow much faster I get 30fps or above a must in signing smooth frames. Choppy video is unacceptable. It is a webcam tweaked under the hood extensively . It uses a/v plugs to plug into your tv. Some folks have rigged theirs up to work in their cars.

Don't wanna go there about the attention span factor. I hate people on cells and driver. Hey I don't give a crap if you have hands free the point is your brain isn't totally focused on driving and keeping urself alive. Ohh I'm listening and I can watch the road fine. BS Mobile video is big !!!

How about another example you get in an accident and the person is going crazy on you just pull out the ifone and video it then tweet it.

Network problems is a reality. Here's how to address it. Start in the DC/Rochester NY and Northridge CA areas lots of deaf people there willing to be beta testers. Roll out the 4g or whatever network in those cities then expand.

Here's an free unsolicited simple solution KISS

Just put the camera on front and slap on a lcd or you wanna style points go oled on the back so you can see whatever you want to point and shoot on. And have bell and whistles for being INNOVIVATE /sarcasm.

Don't you think it d be easier than endless phone tree menus you cud actually see who you were talking to. Yeah you can finally see if "Mike" from Dell s support team is from India or not!

It d be far easier to get customer service if you can see face to face over the phone .

Not to mention scammers from good old Niger might have a hell lot harder time scamming retailers from the Relay. Costing retailers untold hundreds probably millions of dollars in lost revenue. That alone if inmpleted I saved you honsent hard working business owners from getting ripped off even once its worth it.

While you're working on video chat/forward facing camera lets just get on with the program and implement captions/dubs/subtitles on every podcast and video clip feed out there. Or have the option to display captions

This is supposedly web 2.0 well the things I'm talking about should happen in web 3.0 I hate not being able to listen to podcasts cause remember I'm deaf mp3s are useless to me. Unless there's a transcript and 99.99 percent of the time there aint jack..

Blind people got it better than us in some aspects of web acess. They can listen I can't !

Not to mention I can't watch my ps3 blue ray thru hdmi on my hdtv cause guess what hdmi don't support captions.

so basically every youtube video, half of hulu, all podcasts and hdmi connected hdtv is inaccessible to me cause they don't have texts.

I think I ll end my rant here. I just am sick and tired of Deaf people get left behind in technology. So I hope I woke up your brain and made myself heard.

Itd be nice if somebody digg this or whatever I m not a power user mods feel free to slap a digg button here.

I leave you all with this . Pretty please make video chatting a reality or some of the things I mentioned above.

Thanks have a great day.

I work with BAAD (Boston Access Advocates for Deaf) to try and deal with all this stuff.

Follow me on twitter digitalsnow please feel free to tweet your thoughts.
  • Reply 116 of 128
    ...and how long... or when is being released?
  • Reply 117 of 128
    mrfishmrfish Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I don't know if you're aware of the fact that jail-broken iPhones already capture video with sound, I've tried it myself the quality is more than adequate.

how is that jail-breaking the phone enables video . is it just a question of being able to use any video software you want not yet provided by apple .

if so i would think apple will just add this software in next phone and the version after that upgrade the hardware

of course we want video because the iphone was meant to be an all in one device . but to expect an all in one device to preform at the level of those individual devices is unfair . i think it will be many years before the camera , video , games etc in an all in one device can replace the individual devices they are trying to replace . it's all about convenience
  • Reply 118 of 128
    bigjimbigjim Posts: 20member
    Apple continues to amaze. First, they invent the graphical user interface, which xerox PARC later copied from them. Then Apple invents unix, which freeBSD later copied from them. Now, in 2009, they have not only invented cut and paste, they follow up by inventing a way to take photos and even movies on a cell phone! Who knows what they'll come up with next, I heard rumors about something called "background apps" don't know what that is but I know I get my $2400 out of my iPhone which totally pwns every other phone or computer ever! And try the raspberry kool-aid its even better than the strawberry or grape!
  • Reply 119 of 128
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

Apple continues to amaze. First, they invent the graphical user interface, which xerox PARC later copied from them. Then Apple invents unix, which freeBSD later copied from them. Now, in 2009, they have not only invented cut and paste, they follow up by inventing a way to take photos and even movies on a cell phone! Who knows what they'll come up with next, I heard rumors about something called "background apps" don't know what that is but I know I get my $2400 out of my iPhone which totally pwns every other phone or computer ever! And try the raspberry kool-aid its even better than the strawberry or grape!

I know...Apple's the most amazing company I've ever seen. Who else was going to bring you super computers for the home with lickable interfaces?
  • Reply 120 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I know...Apple's the most amazing company I've ever seen. Who else was going to bring you super computers for the home with lickable interfaces?

The love child of Willy Wonka and Steve Wozniak... Willy Wozniak*?