Apple sued for promoting iPhone as eBook reader

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

...well, the RIAA hasn't filed suit against MS or Apple because there are bit torrent clients available for those platforms. in other words, in this situation, you can't go after the hardware manufacturer because someone wrote software that violates a patent or copyright. at the most, Apple would get a C and D to remove the offending app (i think there was an unoffical version of Tetris out there for a while, Nintendo went after them for Duck Hunt, and Namco for an unofficial PacMan)

That's because Apple and Microsoft don't distribute those applications. However, in the case of the iPhone App Store, Apple is distributing the application and can in fact be held liable, which is why Apple has to keep the approval process as strict as it is (well, a strict as some think it is).
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a 7-page complaint filed with a Virginia district court Monday, Berne, Switzerland-based MONEC Holding Ltd accuses the iPhone maker of patent infringement, unfair trade practices, monopolization, and tortious interference for allegedly treading on its January 2002 patent No. 6,335,678 titled "Electronic device, preferably an electronic book."

These guys are obviously amateurs at this.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

It looks like the patent is for a touch screen ebook device, which the Kindle does not have!

Almost all Tablet PCs have touch screens in away and they are all able to be used as ebook readers. They have LCD touch screen but they did not sue them!

As said before, these people just look for publicity.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    It has gone to far at this point. im all for protecting someones individual design, however, something like this is just too far.

but none of us should pretend that apple isnt hugely guilty of the same kind of practices, they often say "we have a patent on that" to scare competitors out of using one of their own ideas.

if something as basic as an ebook reader that is small with a touch screen, then it should not be granted a patent, the problem is the people issuing the patents often dont fully understand what they are dealing with.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

No LCD screen, they use e-paper.

Of the actual claims in the patent, only the last one of them (number 13) specifically mentions an LCD as the type of display technology used.

Even if an allegedly infringing device was not using an LCD, it could still be held to be in violation of claims 1 through 12.

On the other hand, the claims in this patent are all vague and flirting with obviousness IMO, even by 1999 standards.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    ]I'm going to patent something called "click and sue", patent trolls who pay me royalties will be able to just go to my web site and sue anyone for anything with just one click.... now that's a money maker right thar!
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I agree - you should be able to patent a specific device or even a particular implementation - but a general concept?

Once upon a time there was a patent granted that effectively covered every instance of the general concept of transmitting a voice electronically over a wire.

The distinguishing feature, I think, was that back when that patent was granted, it was for a truly innovative and non-obvious concept.

The general concept of using a computer to store and display text (a book) is obvious.

The general concept of using a touchscreen to control a computer is patented separately, and thus a well-known concept and not innovative.

The general concept of using GSM to allow a computer to communicate over the telephone system wirelessly is patented separately, and thus not an innovative.

The general concept of miniaturizing a computer to a hand-held form factor has been an ongoing process for decades is also not innovative.

In my opinion, putting all of these concepts together is also obvious and not innovative.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

...not defending anoyone, but that license could have nothing to do with one click. it might have to do with audible content in iTMS. amazon owns audible, no?

It specifically does say 1-Click(R) is a registered service mark of Amazon.com, Inc. in the About iTunes window.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Once upon a time there was a patent granted that effectively covered every instance of the general concept of transmitting a voice electronically over a wire.

The distinguishing feature, I think, was that back when that patent was granted, it was for a truly innovative and non-obvious concept.

You know that Alexander Graham Bell bribed the patent examined to get his patent application processed before Elisha Gray patent, which was submitted the earlier the same day! There was even testimonies that Graham Bell looked at Gray's patent application before he submitted his.

I agree with you that patents was for innovations. I think they patents should be tied to actual production and not just ink on paper. For example, if you patent something then you have to produce it within specific time frame or your patent will be revoked.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Prior art kills this claim, which was filed in 1999.

Apple made a series of movies about "Knowledge Navigator" in the 1980s that exactly fit this description. In most of the movies, the navigator is a book-sized device that folds open (like two hinged Kindles) with voice and touch navigation, a camera, scanner and telephone connectivity. In one of the movies the user is shown reading a newspaper (or book, can't recall exactly) using the device and interacting with it via touch and voice. This is a direct demonstration of the concepts in this patent, over a decade earlier.

Note also that the patent specifically states "approximately one page of a book can be illustrated at normal size". The iPhone/iTouch clearly does not fit this bill.

Maury

How about the Newton? it do seem to remember reading books on it and Motorola's version of it - the Marco (if my memory doesn't fail me) was a cell phone as well...

The fact that the patent is filed a decade later is explained by the location of the company - Berne, Switzerland is said to be a little on the slow side...
  • Reply 31 of 84
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    Where is their ereader? You shouldn't be able to just patent a vague idea and wait for someone to do it so you can sue them. You should either have a working model or be working on it. In the case of software, you should have some code to show.

Someone said Apple does this too. I know they sit on patents sometimes for several years, but they do actually produce working models of things. These people obviously never plan on producing anything, so how has it harmed them? They are simply leaches going for the deep pockets. The case should be thrown out.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    A patent on reading text on a computer screen. Very nice.

But it's the innovation of the patent that sets me aquiver. Specifying a screen size. That's like... wow. Just wow. What school of engineering and design can I go to, to learn that? And touching the screen. Well worthy of a patent.

Seriously, though, I agree with the other posters that this will fail the non-obviousness clause. It's a cobbling together of ideas, and not too clever at that.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    ...sue my browser...NOW!
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:

jlebrech

I'm going to patent something called "click and confirm", its much better and saves the consumer from making unnecesary buys.

i'm suing for mentioning this concept.

you'll hear from my lawyers!

• Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You know that Alexander Graham Bell bribed the patent examined to get his patent application processed before Elisha Gray patent, which was submitted the earlier the same day! There was even testimonies that Graham Bill looked at Gray's patent application before he submitted his..

There's this great source called the Wikipedia that's completely free, maybe you should try using it before spreading obvious misinformation.

Gray's "caveat", essentially a notice to file, was entered on the morning of 14 February 1876. Bell had been working on his filing for months, but he refused to file in the US until it was filed in England. At the time, England would refuse any patent that had been filed elsewhere, and there was no international grace period like there is today (if I file in Canada, I am protected in the US for one year).

That weekend Bell's lawyer heard that Gray was planning to file, and quickly rushed together a full patent application. He had it hand delivered on Monday, and made sure that his was hand-entered into the register so it would appear first. There doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" here, his lawyer was smarter than Gray's.

Did Bell's submission include information from Gray's filing? That is highly likely, because he had seen it in person, and added something similar to his own filing. Did Bell steal Gray's invention? No, clearly he was working on the idea throughout the year. Did Bell steal Gray's liquid microphone idea? Yes, but only to abandon it almost immediately. Did Gray do anything with his patent? No.

By most definitions it is Gray that is the patent troll. He had a purely theoretical device that he never built. Bell, on the other hand, not only built a Gray-like device, but numerous other ones that were actually practical. All of this is well recorded in the many lawsuits between the two.

The accusations of bribery are highly unlikely. They come from a single affidavit by Wilber, the patent examiner, who also has several affidavits that say he wasn't bribed. So you have to choose to believe this one claim, ignore the other three, and ignore all the other affidavits that also state there was no bribery. This matter has been looked into in depth, and has little to support it except for one historian.

Maury
  • Reply 36 of 84
    As others have said, this falls over at claim 1

- the iPhone doesn't have a book-sized screen

(which the 'inventors' think is important to the 'invention', or they wouldn't mention it in claim 1)
  • Reply 37 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

It looks like the patent is for a touch screen ebook device, which the Kindle does not have!

But the patent also says the screen should be about the same size as a real book and dispaly the same amount of text. If not having the right type of screen means they can't sue Amazon, then not having the right size of screen should also exclude Apple from getting sued!

The patent itself is oddly worded. They are vague in saying the device is "preferrably" a book reader, but then get very specific about size, buttons, etc. Strange. They also specifically point out prior art in a device that uses a floppy drive and lots of buttons. So their "innovation" is to use solid state memory and a touch screen. But since those technologies have been around for quite sometime, wouldn't that just be the obvious evolution of mobile devices, as opposed to a unique (ie, patentable) invention? Touchscreens have been around far longer than their patent, the only new thing is that they are now cheap and power efficient enough to include in mobile devices. That isn't invention, that's just using someone else's technology to make your device.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    7 years ago...and I've never heard of this product before. I guess I can understand their motivation for suing Apple. How else is that product patent going to generate any money?

/
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

There's this great source called the Wikipedia that's completely free, maybe you should try using it before spreading obvious misinformation.

Gray's "caveat", essentially a notice to file, was entered on the morning of 14 February 1876. Bell had been working on his filing for months, but he refused to file in the US until it was filed in England. At the time, England would refuse any patent that had been filed elsewhere, and there was no international grace period like there is today (if I file in Canada, I am protected in the US for one year).

That weekend Bell's lawyer heard that Gray was planning to file, and quickly rushed together a full patent application. He had it hand delivered on Monday, and made sure that his was hand-entered into the register so it would appear first. There doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" here, his lawyer was smarter than Gray's.

Did Bell's submission include information from Gray's filing? That is highly likely, because he had seen it in person, and added something similar to his own filing. Did Bell steal Gray's invention? No, clearly he was working on the idea throughout the year. Did Bell steal Gray's liquid microphone idea? Yes, but only to abandon it almost immediately. Did Gray do anything with his patent? No.

By most definitions it is Gray that is the patent troll. He had a purely theoretical device that he never built. Bell, on the other hand, not only built a Gray-like device, but numerous other ones that were actually practical. All of this is well recorded in the many lawsuits between the two.

The accusations of bribery are highly unlikely. They come from a single affidavit by Wilber, the patent examiner, who also has several affidavits that say he wasn't bribed. So you have to choose to believe this one claim, ignore the other three, and ignore all the other affidavits that also state there was no bribery. This matter has been looked into in depth, and has little to support it except for one historian.

Maury

Maybe you should read the news from their source. Don't rely too much on Wikipedia. I did not say Bell stole anything, read my post again and read news from the source next time. Here is the update to the original Washington Post article that reported this back in the 1886.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Unfortunately, "obvious" when applied to patents has a very technical meaning, it doesn't follow that something you or I think of as obvious would count as such. It means obvious to a robot or automaton that knows every published technical and scientific paper in the field and can apply an infinite number of small steps that have been written down before. Any step which wasn't written down involves original thought and is therefore patentable. Apparently.

The thing that really gets me about patents is that too often, they're not patenting an actual invention but are patenting the concept of trying to do something, ie. they're patenting the problem, not the solution.